mobilehack

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Hello,
I am goin to upgrade my desktop...bt totally confused whether will go for intel i5-750 or i5-660. bcos 750 is havin 4 real cores with 8mb cache where as 660 is havin 2 cores with multi threading,4mb cache but 3.33 much higher speed.. so what would b the choice????

Neither as socket 1156 is being killed off in 5 months. What do you have now?
That is ridiculous. Do you seriously believe that he shouldn't buy a CPU for that socket simply because no new CPUs will be released for it after 5 months? Honestly, next year, intel will come out with an even newer socket. Getting a socket just for future upgradability is not wise. Get what you need now. You never know what the future holds. Even if you do try to "future proof", there is still a chance you will need to change your motherboard to upgrade or would prefer to get a newer CPU and hence upgrade the motherboard. Both i5s are an excellent option.

Anyway, what you need depends on what you do. Hyperthreading will slightly increase multi-threaded performance but will not do it as much or in as many applications as even having a single extra real core. The question here is what do you do with your computer? This will determine which CPU is better for you. By default though, you are more than likely better off with the lower clocked quad core.

Whats ridiculous about it? Whats cost effective about buying a socket that won't have any new processors released for it in 5 months? There's no upgrade path.
What's cost effective about buying socket 1366 where next year sandy bridge will be released and it will also become "dead" by your definition. What's cost effective about buying a core i7 920 for (newegg prices) $80 more than the i5 750 when you don't need it? $80 is the cost of a new, decent motherboard. It's more cost effective to save that $80 for a new motherboard when you intend to upgrade your CPU again. And when you do upgrade and get a new socket, you will likely be able to get a better CPU. Look at the prices of socket 775 CPUs. Look at how much power they provide versus core i5.
And who's to say the OP intends to upgrade anyway? They just asked which of those two CPUs would be better.

Diabolical User

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
This entirely depends upon your workload/budget. Do you play games; video edit; graphic design; Auto CAD etc.; and/or VMware? Anyways, if you're looking for someone to tell you what to go with, go with the i5 750. :D

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
I agree with Enzo on this one.

I myself stayed with Skt775, everyone said it was dead yet Intel have released 4 'new' lower end processors for it in the last year.

Build to your maximum budget and usage, thats the only simple advise I can recommend.