Advice, first time desktop PC build

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Hard Drives
  • Build
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 25, 2012 5:14:00 AM

I'm trying to do research to build my first desktop PC.

I have seen many sujested builds involving a SSD for operating system / games and and secondary hard drive for files/ movies.

I'm wondering how difficult/possible would it be to have a SSD specifically for Operating System (Crucial M4 128GB in mind), a 2nd hard drive specifically for games/other programs (Western Digital 10000rpm VelociRaptor 250GB) and then a 3rd hard drive specifially for movies/pictures (Western Digital 7200rpm Caviar Black 1TB.

Is this feasible? Good idea? Dumb Idea? What other factors will I need to consider to make this feasible?
Keep in mind i'm trying to become more computer savy, but i'm still rather novice so if responses are highly technically worded they will probably go over my head.

More about : advice time desktop build

a b G Storage
May 25, 2012 6:15:40 AM

It's very feasible. The only thing, as others had trouble with, is installation issues. Just make sure you install only on your SSD first, then plug in the rest of your Hard Drives. And your good to go.
m
l
May 25, 2012 6:49:36 AM

Thank you
m
l
a b G Storage
May 25, 2012 6:52:32 AM

Oh and one more thing, don't forget to set all your SATA controllers from IDE -> AHCI (in the BIOS) before installing Windows.
m
l
!