Toshiba A75-S206 Phoning Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New system to me, although my old one was a Satellite 2545.

Two programs I don't recognize are periodically trying to "phone home."

Alps device driver apoint.exe
Toshiba Pinger pinger.exe

Anyone have any ideas about what these do, can they be configured, what
risks if any in letting them run?

TIA

--
Mike Riddle /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
mriddle%nospam@ivgate.omahug.org \ / Respect for open standards

ceebee

Mike Riddle <nospam@ivgate.omahug.org> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

> Alps device driver apoint.exe
> Toshiba Pinger pinger.exe

Google brought up:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/apoint/
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/pinger/

"Phoning home" can mean a lot. Which IP are they trying to connect with?
If pinger.exe connects to Toshiba, it's checking for updates.
If apoint is connecting to 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 there's not much to
worry.

If you don't want them to contact through the Internet, deny them
permission in your firewall.

--
CeeBee

Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."

Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
since I have been back."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS