Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to factory restore windows xp!?

Last response: in Windows XP
January 1, 2013 6:10:37 PM

I want to restore an 8 year old computer I have with XP to factory settings. I do not have any of the disks it came with. I am pretty sure I can reinstall drivers through dell.com but I can restore it. I tried and it only lets me restore to about a month ago. Tapping F8 was the only thing I could do and it did not work. Anybody help?
January 1, 2013 8:38:12 PM

Tell us about the machine. Does it have restore partition? If not, you need to find the disks.
Score
January 1, 2013 8:43:25 PM

If it's a laptop, you might be good to go, with just hitting F5 on startup (I think that's the key), and choose restore from Factory Partition.
If not, Dell usually ships you a free replacement disk. You must tell them the Service Tag number, first, though
(of course, make sure you save anything that needs saving, first.)
Score
Related resources
January 1, 2013 9:44:15 PM

It's a desktop. A Dell Dimension 3100. I tried hitting F8 but the restore wont go to factory on a month back. I have none of the CD's.
Score
January 1, 2013 9:44:35 PM

it will only go to a month ago*
Score
January 1, 2013 10:12:29 PM

Please people. READ WHAT I FIRST WROTE. I DO NOT HAVE THE XP DISK. This will not work for me. I need a factory restore guys. Once again, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT CAME WITH THIS. I want to be able to restore to factory settings with the drivers and everything.
Score
January 1, 2013 10:13:49 PM

also when I press CTRL and F11 nothing happens. I am doing it simultaneously as it says. It only works when I use F8 alone and all I can do is restore to last month.
Score
a b \ Driver
January 1, 2013 10:14:12 PM

No disk needed for the link i posted.It's a restore method for factory settings. :D 
Score
January 1, 2013 10:22:52 PM

zivw said:
also when I press CTRL and F11 nothing happens. I am doing it simultaneously as it says. It only works when I use F8 alone and all I can do is restore to last month.

If that is indeed the sequence to activate the restore partition, then you have a problem. If the restore partition is non-functional, your remaining option would be to order a set of restore cd's from Dell or just settle for an OS only install.
Score
January 1, 2013 10:25:27 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
No disk needed for the link i posted.It's a restore method for factory settings. :D 

except i cant use f11 and i dont get a restore option for factory settings with f8
Score
January 1, 2013 10:26:14 PM

FALC0N said:
If that is indeed the sequence to activate the restore partition, then you have a problem. If the restore partition is non-functional, your remaining option would be to order a set of restore cd's from Dell or just settle for an OS only install.

i dont want to spend any money on the restoration and know the crooks that dell are, heck no. any other options?
Score
a b \ Driver
January 1, 2013 10:45:29 PM

Format drive and install OS from ebay dell disk.Install drivers from Dell site = Restored
Score
January 1, 2013 10:50:33 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Format drive and install OS from ebay dell disk.Install drivers from Dell site = Restored

once again, if i have to pay to restore this computer it is not worth it. ill keep the hard drive but throwing out the rest.

anyobdy know a free way to restore this computer?

FFFFRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

FREE

F
R
E
E
Score
a b \ Driver
January 1, 2013 10:53:24 PM

No free way to unless you find a dell xp disk that matches your dell oem sticker.Without the restore partition or a dell os disk you are out of luck.
Score
January 1, 2013 11:40:08 PM

Dell didn't charge me, the last 2 times I called to order XP system restoration disks for buddies of mine. It took, like, 10 weeks, though. That has been awhile, though.
Score
January 2, 2013 1:13:18 AM

You don't need a Dell disk. Any XP OEM disk would work. You wouldn't get the preinstalled apps, but it would work fine.
Score
January 2, 2013 2:53:57 AM

True. OEM disks are only good on 1 pc, though, so don't get a used one!
Score
January 2, 2013 3:47:52 AM

electronian said:
True. OEM disks are only good on 1 pc, though, so don't get a used one!

Used one is fine. He needs a disk, not a license.
Score
January 2, 2013 10:28:59 AM

Also, good luck finding the SP3 software patch for XP.
Score
January 2, 2013 5:34:46 PM

electronian said:
Also, good luck finding the SP3 software patch for XP.

What are you talking about? Service pack 3 is easy to find.
Score
!