Status
Not open for further replies.

zivw

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I want to restore an 8 year old computer I have with XP to factory settings. I do not have any of the disks it came with. I am pretty sure I can reinstall drivers through dell.com but I can restore it. I tried and it only lets me restore to about a month ago. Tapping F8 was the only thing I could do and it did not work. Anybody help?

electronian

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
If it's a laptop, you might be good to go, with just hitting F5 on startup (I think that's the key), and choose restore from Factory Partition.
If not, Dell usually ships you a free replacement disk. You must tell them the Service Tag number, first, though
(of course, make sure you save anything that needs saving, first.)

zivw

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Please people. READ WHAT I FIRST WROTE. I DO NOT HAVE THE XP DISK. This will not work for me. I need a factory restore guys. Once again, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT CAME WITH THIS. I want to be able to restore to factory settings with the drivers and everything.

zivw

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
also when I press CTRL and F11 nothing happens. I am doing it simultaneously as it says. It only works when I use F8 alone and all I can do is restore to last month.

If that is indeed the sequence to activate the restore partition, then you have a problem. If the restore partition is non-functional, your remaining option would be to order a set of restore cd's from Dell or just settle for an OS only install.

zivw

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

except i cant use f11 and i dont get a restore option for factory settings with f8

zivw

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

i dont want to spend any money on the restoration and know the crooks that dell are, heck no. any other options?

zivw

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

i think u forgot i still need to restore it :/

zivw

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

once again, if i have to pay to restore this computer it is not worth it. ill keep the hard drive but throwing out the rest.

anyobdy know a free way to restore this computer?

FFFFRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

FREE

F
R
E
E

Status
Not open for further replies.