Windows Image to SSD

bostonmike

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Hi guys, I have a 500GB hard drive that I created an image out of using the built in Windows backup image on Win 7 Pro. The image size is 151GB. I want to install this image on a new SSD that is 240GB. I have also read that sometimes you need to use something like partition magic if you are going from a larger drive to a smaller one. I know this is true for something like Acronis that I have used in the past but have never tried with the Windows one. It seems like the windows one actually backs up exactly what is on the drive instead of creating a snapshot of the entire HDD. Is this correct? So I guess my question is, what do I have to do to get the windows backup on this SDD?

Solution
New versions of Acronis work just fine. It will reduce/extend the partition size for you as necessary during the cloning procedure. As long as you have the space for the data on the new drive, you'll be fine. EZ Gig II is another product that does just fine. It comes with the Crucial drives including the data transfer kit. If you use the EZ Gig II software, check the '4K alignment' box and you'll be fine.

I have not heard many positive stories about using the Windows Restore as a method for doing this (especially going from a larger to smaller drive), but I'd be open to hearing some.

bostonmike

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Let me add that I try to point to a network location and it does not work. I try to add a nic driver and it does not work.

Do I need to install the OS then try to restore it?

I guess I'm not entirely sure what my approach should be.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Bad idea to image an HDD onto an SSD. Just run the Windows installer on the SSD. It will make a lot of optimizations when it detects the SSD that will not be present if you simply transfer an HDD install over.

New versions of Acronis work just fine. It will reduce/extend the partition size for you as necessary during the cloning procedure. As long as you have the space for the data on the new drive, you'll be fine. EZ Gig II is another product that does just fine. It comes with the Crucial drives including the data transfer kit. If you use the EZ Gig II software, check the '4K alignment' box and you'll be fine.

I have not heard many positive stories about using the Windows Restore as a method for doing this (especially going from a larger to smaller drive), but I'd be open to hearing some.

Solution

bostonmike

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Thanks for the responses so far guys. It looks like I should not be doing it the way I have been trying. ubercake, I don't have Acronis anymore so I am not able to use that method.
willard, if I install windows on the ssd, will I then be able to use the windows image backup to restore everything else?

If your SSD is Intel, you can download the Intel SSD migration tool that works with Intel SSD's. It is a modified version of Acronis true image clone utility that only works with Inted SSD's. It works well.
In the past, Acronis clone had a problem with cloning to a smaller ssd, even if the data would fit.
That needed to be fixed, and perhaps it has/ or not.. At least, it is worth a try.

You can always download acronis free 30 day trial to do the job. Most likely, you will like it enough to buy the product.

If you will do a clean install of windows 7, you should first run windows easy transfer. It will export all your files and settings.
After windows 7 install, you can just import them. The only other thing you must do is reinstall your programs.

If you have not already set the sata mode to AHCI(not IDE or raid), you should do so to enable trim, , and a reinstall is recomended.
There are ways to change to ahci using registry editing, but I don't like that.

Bostonmike, Run AS SSD to verify your SSD is set up correct.
Don't neede to run the Benchmark, just open the program, look at upper left and verify:
.. Driver = msahci (for intel chipset, should be iaSTor - slightly better than uSoft default driver), not sure if using an amd chipset. BUT should not say pcide = BAD.
.. Also check that it shows partition is aligned.

Since you cloned from a HDD, don't forget:
.. Enable Trim (if running windows 7), and
.. DISABLE defrag - SSDs do NOT need, nor like.

There are a couple of other programs (freebees and Low cost (ie $20) that will clone the OS + system partition to a SSD and perform an alignment on the partitions

rdc85

Honorable
There also Acronis Western Digital Free version if u had WD HDD.... DL at WD web...

edit : Do not know about intel version, but i'm guessing it's the same. It free to use as long as there is a WD/intel HDD/SSD at your system....

Hey, glad to hear it. No catch and I don't think it expires. You probably won't have to use it all that often though.

So you're all set then?

bostonmike

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

Yes, I am all set! Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses, much appreciated!