NVIDIA 400 SERIES -- MIDNIGHT FORUM

G

Who here is staying up at midnight to get the 480? I can't wait, as I hope they post them soon for purchase, I will need to sleep :sleep:

Anyone else pumped, and/or know where to get them at midnight? Hoping to get 3 for my tri-SLI setup..... SHOULD BE GOOD!!! :pt1cable:

Haha, they arent going on sale at midnight, their NDA is coming off at midnight, big difference unfortunately. Dont expect to see them for sale for atleast a couple weeks, they will probably be hard to get your hands on until may unfortunately. Cant wait to see the benchmarks though, i want to know if all the waiting was worth it.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I hope everything kinda reaches an equilibrium before the end of April. What do i mean? Well, Nvidia could have problems keeping it on the shelves, which will drive the prices up, and who knows what will happen to the 5000 series prices... (Hopefully go down before the end of April)

notty22

Distinguished
I actually think they may be some for sale. But go for midnight west coast, at the earliest. lol~ I also think it may be a little wishful thinking on my part. Yes Nvidia has put some april dates now, but I think that may be for world wide saturation. IMO, USA may have them............?

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
why do u care? Do u come online to flame any choices going against ur blacklisted companies?

And yes I am. I try to switch up evertime a new Single GPU crown Comes out. Just like I moved from 285 to 5870 so shall I move from the 5870 to 480 GTX.

G

Already released after tomorrow? They are available on unreputable sites now, but I wouldn't buy one without knowing what I'm getting. I'd like to see them offered at a reputable site....

Plus the real question is, which company to go with (EVGA, BFG, XFX, PNY, MSI etc.)

jennyh

Splendid

Who the hell stole your scone? What a primadonna, you think you're some big shot because you're giving away a 5870? :lol:

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
A bigshot? Thats some thick dope ur into there.

No I dont think I'm some bigshot, but I do get easily irritated with narrow mind forum losers that love to bust balls cuz they can't grow theirs back.

Primadonna? I think not, look over your posts and see who is a primadonna. Now if I'm not mistaking ur late for your date with Charlie.

Good Day

AMW1011

Distinguished
I'll be honest, I'm a little curious as to why you have ordered a GTX 480 before reviews as well. Reports suggest a 5-10% gain over the 5870 with 480 SP. If this is true, ATI will likely just release an overclocked 5870 that will beat it, like a 5890 or the 5870 2GB might come in nicely. Also if rumors are true, the REAL Fermi, the 512 SP GTX 490 (I'm just guessing on the name), should be out in a month or so after wards which is bound to give a decent boost over the pre-mentioned cards.

I'm not saying the GTX 480 won't be good, I'm saying we don't know.

As for Jenny, calm down he might have made a good decision or a bad one, it doesn't really effect you.

Edit: Dumb, dumb, dumb, if the GTX 480 sucks you can just cancel the order, but if it is good you may not be able to obtain one after it is released, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that sooner... Makes sense now.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I dont buy my way into a forum, nor do I push my absurd methods on others. I dont bring personal matters into my decision. Unlike you which pretty much your a walking advertisement.

Clearly, You think me giving a card earns respect? What because ppl kiss up to me for 5 seconds? No I dont waste time like that. What I donate now is forgotten 2 days after the given date.

I gave it because I believe in a pay it forward life. I'm no company whore.

Anywho I think I'm done here. Seems like I can speak to a stump all I want, it will still be the same stubborn stump:)

P.S

Dont worry I'll keep you up to date, dont forget to take time off your calender to swing by and have a say;) Don't forget your AMD pamphlets:D

G

Personally, I really don't give a crap if its good OR bad...

At the moment I have a machine I built a month ago with NO VIDEOCARD. I need NVIDIA because of the Linux drivers support (I have an ATI card in work and its terrible on Linux). So for people like me who don't care too much about benchmarks, we just want to get our hands on the card before all those ATI fanboys want to get their grubby little hands on it after they find out that it performs X% higher than the current ATI cards out there (and again, id prefer the 480 to perform badly so there is no demand for it, but this is only wishful thinking)

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007

I pre ordered it because from results of DX 10 and 9 maybe it is 5-10 I dunno, but it has alot of OC potential and it has alot of potential for DX 11, which seems to be its biggest gain.

Its a hobby more than a tech thing with me. I just love having Flagships. Its why I keep updating every couple of months. THe only ones I avoid are refreshes, I only did the 285 refresh cuz it was free from BFG:)

AMW1011

Distinguished
Personally, I really don't give a crap if its good OR bad...

At the moment I have a machine I built a month ago with NO VIDEOCARD. I need NVIDIA because of the Linux drivers support (I have an ATI card in work and its terrible on Linux). So for people like me who don't care too much about benchmarks, we just want to get our hands on the card before all those ATI fanboys want to get their grubby little hands on it after they find out that it performs X% higher than the current ATI cards out there (and again, id prefer the 480 to perform badly so there is no demand for it, but this is only wishful thinking)

Thats a perfectly good point, my post wasn't really pointed at you. ATI is a lot of things, but good with Linux is not one of them.

jennyh

Splendid

No I'm questioning his motives. Liquid never insulted me like that before now, so he must think he's some kind of big shot because he has a forum sticky giving away a graphics card?

Why else would he think he can create the 'Official Fermi review thread'?

He thinks that by giving away a graphics card he is now somehow allowed to create 'Official' threads and ask them to be stickied?

There are a lot of others who have given stuff away on this forum, completely selflessly. Liquid isn't one of them - he's just a stupid kid who thinks he can buy favours.

AMW1011

Distinguished

How does it have good OC potential, sure it leaks a lot of heat, but it also is clocked lower than nVidia wanted it to be from what we know. Assuming everything we know is correct, I would bank on the opposite result for the OC potential, just like the GTX 280.

As for DX11, I'm assuming you mean tessellation which may be a possible strength, we shall see.

Either way I'm excited for the release as I will be hoping for a <$300 5850 now that one of my 8800 GTS 512mbs is dying, or a GTX 470 if I can manage the full $300-350 (rumors have it in that range).

AMW1011

Distinguished

He thinks he can do it because he did it for the 5870 too:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270681-33-radeon-5870-review