Apr 18, 2010
Sry my english is not the best

I have just bought

Mobo. Gigabyte. GA-770TA-UD3
CPU. AMD Phenom II X4 955 6 MB
RAM. Kingston ValueRAM 1 x 4 GB
VGA. Gigabyte GV R455OC-1GI (1 GB) ATI Radeon HD
PSU. Chill ATX 520w

The PSU got 20/24-PIN but only one 4-PIN ATX then I bought a DELTACO Adapter cable 4-pin ATX12V to 8-pin.

My problem is the same as a lot of other people I have read about, but I can’t find an answer anywhere.

I have build one time before but it is long time ago (Pentium 4) and it just worked fine no problems.

The Problem is this: When I put my new components together and turn the power on, the fans, HD and dvdrom runs but I get no post beep and no video signal. I have followed all the new build and troubleshooting guides I can find and I have tried it all.
I tried to strip down to only mobo, cpu and ram but still nothing no beeps. If I remove the ram then I get the long beeps indicating memory error so my mobo is not totally dead. :)
Can the problem be coursed by the PSU (the 4-pin not giving enough power to the CPU)?
Or is it like I read in a troubleshooting guide the ram (Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare))?

Please help me fix this! The place I bought the components from don’t have the best customer service :(

GordonDK

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Have read this but still I can't pinpoint what my problem is.

Is it my PSU (Can the 4-pin 12v power my CPU)?
or is it my RAM (I only have one ram block is that the problem)?

Make sure you hook up your monitor to the video card not to the mobo

Did you put the spacers when you installed the mobo? Don't put extra spacers, only where you have the screw holes.

Try it with a 1 or 2 G RAM stick maybe that specific single 4G RAM is not supported.

Take out the mobo and try again on the table.

Try it with some other PSU

Take out the adapter, you can use the 4-pin ATX12V, look where it goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTdGpJ1tKbU&feature=related

I wrote that. Happened to me once, long ago. Well, long ago in computer time. :)

OK. Let's see what we have. PSU, CPU, motherboard, and system speaker beeps.
Good. We know that the CPU works and PSU and motherboard partially work. At this point, there's not much load on the PSU. And we have not tested the memory or video interfaces yet.

Add any RAM and you get silence, yes? That's either motherboard bad or memory bad. If you get silence with both memory sticks, the problem is probably your motherboard. It's very unlikely (but still possible) that both memory sticks are bad in a way that shuts down the motherboard.

And you do not need that 4 pin -> 8 pin CPU power adapter. That adapter will not help the PSU provide any more current than the 4 pin plug can already provide.

GordonDK

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Now I tried to reassemble on the table and it’s the same as before. Went to the gigabyte homepage and I could not find my ram on the Memory Support List but they haven’t been able to test all the ram that excise.
I know the mobo support ram 1333mhz like the ones I bought. I don’t have any other ram to try with because my other pc is too old :(

GordonDK

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Add any RAM and you get silence, yes? That's either motherboard bad or memory bad. If you get silence with both memory sticks, the problem is probably your motherboard. It's very unlikely (but still possible) that both memory sticks are bad in a way that shuts down the motherboard.

Thanks for that answer I have just called a friend and I can borrow some of his ram tomorrow :) hope this work

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Is the speaker (on the motherboard) plugged in ?

Have you ever heard ANY noise out of the speaker/beeper ?

Did you install the mobo speaker ... or ... did you just assume the mobo should beep, on it's own (did you think the speaker was pre-installed) ??

=Alvin =

parleyp

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I have that same board...I used dual channel ddr3 kits. I don't know from your description of the ram if that is ddr3 or not. This board will not run with ddr2 ram.

You should install them in pairs:

Memory Standard DDR3 1866(OC)/1333/1066 MHz
Maximum Memory Supported 16GB
Channel Supported Dual Channel

The four DDR3 memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following: Channel 0: DDR3_1, DDR3_3 Channel 1: DDR3_2, DDR3_4

See page 16 of your manual for details.

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007

Since you seemed to have tried everything, I would take back the PSU & Ram and:
1. Get a better PSU. Never get the bare minimum for your system. I would get a 600 watt or a good quality 550.
2. Unless you plan to use 16gigs or ram (and that would be a waste unless you're building a server), I would use 2x2gb=4gigs (ddr3). That way you can take advantage of dual channel.
At the very least, I would exchange the psu.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Actually ... I think the prob is that gordon "read" that TS doc I posted, but he didn't *DO* it ...

... Did you ever wonder why it only takes a good teck less that 15 minutes to TS any issue?

... There is a process. It is methodical and "not fuzzy". It is ALL in that doc, which, as I said, WILL solve (or isolate the fault) *Every Time* ... unless there is a vocabulary problem.

= Al =

GordonDK

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I went to Kingstons home page and look up my mobo and I could see the RAM I bought they didn't match so I bought new ram and now all work just fine :)

Thank for the help..

I still can't find out why I didn't get the RAM failure beeps??