HOW IS THE FOLLOWING DESKTOP FOR EXTREME HARDCORE GAMING?

ashvin_13

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
(1). INTEL CORE i7 920 PROCESSOR

(2). XFX RADEON HD 5870 Graphics Card
(HD-587A-ZND9)

(3) COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro 650 Watt
(RS-650-ACAA-A1)

(4). 1TB HARD DISK (7200 RPM)

(5). Windows 7 Home Premium (Original 64-Bit)

(6). 8 GB DDR3 (1333 MHz) RAM.

(7). ORIGINAL INTEL DX58SO MOTHERBOARD

(8). Cooler Master 690 NVIDIA EDITION CHASSIS.

(9). Cooler Master HYPER 212 PLUS CPU COOLER

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Are you overclocking? If yes, wtih that budget you might want to go for a beefier cooler.

Somewhat more expensive: Scythe Mugen 2 (better and near silent)
A lot beefier: Prolimatech Meghalems.

Which brand HDD is that? I hope it's a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or a Seagate 7200.12 and not Western Digital or another outdated brand...

X58 is a triple channel platform. Get either 6GB (3x2) or 12GB (6x2) of RAM. I'd say 6, as gaming isn't too demanding on RAM anyway. And make sure to get a good brand.

Cooler Master PSU's are second rate at best. Get Antec, Corsair or the more expensive OCZ models.

Why the 690 Nvidia? If it must be green, go ahead. If not, there are better options out there.

AND TURN OF THE GODDAMN CAPS!!!!

tecmo34

Administrator
@Alvin... were you a sleep at this time?? Intel MOBO, Cooler Master PSU, 8GB of RAM to start?

@OP
1) I recommend going with ASUS, GIGABYTE or EVGA for you MOBO. Intel boards don't provide the best of features for overclocking. Stick with the big three or get an ASRock X58 Extreme (or Extreme 3), if on a tight budget

2) X58 MOBO's use triple channel memory, which come in 3GB, 6GB or 12GB sets. I would go with 6GB of RAM with at least a Cas8 but recommend Cas7.

3) Don't get Cooler Master PSU's!! They aren't most reliable on the market. I would recommend getting a Corsair, SeaSonic or Antec for your PSU. If you have any plans to run Crossfire, you need a minimum of a 750w PSU (650W just won't do it).

4) Get the i7 930 instead... It has replaced the i7 920

5) As I stated in you other post, I would go with the Cooler Master HAF 922 or CM690 II Advanced over the Nvidia Edition of the RC-690.

6) Make sure your 1TB is either the Samsung Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12, as they are the faster 1TB drives (based off of two 500GB platters).

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
First yeah is that HD a 7200.12 or samsung f3?

How are you going to accomplish 8 GB of ram on a triple channel mobo? And cas7..not 8. Don't be cheap and try to save a few bucks here. Also DDR3 1600 not 1333.

Agreed with tecmo spend $20 more and get a i7 930

A cooler master PSU? You'd be wise to look up a haf922 and a corsair psu.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.362542
(I know some don't like the OCZ Psus but I have it and it works. Plus its modular and has a 3 year warranty).

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

NO, "MOE" ... ALL-CAPS JUST MAKE MY BRAIN GO MUSHY ! i FIGGER ANYBODY WHITHOUT MORE SENSE COULDN'T HAVE THE MONEY TO BUILD A PC !

I THOT SOME TECH WAS PULLIN' MY LEG, JUST FOR FUN, BECAUSE IT WAS 3AM SUNDAY MORNING (WHERE I AM), AND THE FORUM WAS DEAD.

CAN YOU READ THIS ?? IS THERE SOME WAY TO GET A BIGGER FONT ? ?

:hello:

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
True DAT !

Hey! ASHVIN13 ?! Sorry, Guy, I thought you were one of our senior/regular jokester techies, here, that was messing with me, late at night.

I thot this because your moniker (username) is in small caps and was very much the same as my own username and also, why would you then switch to all-caps, after using lower-case for your user-tag.

I figured this had to be a setup and, when I finally saw the INTEL mobo, I was pretty darned certain that you were a staffer just trolling for takers.

I guess I was wrong ... are you still with us or did these fine techs just waste a bunch of their time ?

If you ARE real ... forget EVERYTHING I said on this thread and just listen to these (other) guys.

As far as this thread goes ... Alvin is "not your friend" and you should not give me any heed !

I'm either crazy or cynical . . . prolly both! (Where *IS* that OP guy?)

[:jaydeejohn:3] ALVIN [:jaydeejohn:3] IS [:jaydeejohn:3] KRAZY! [:jaydeejohn:3]