Sign in with
Your question

Finalized i7 build, check it out!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 18, 2010 10:45:20 AM

Right, so I've been lurking all around these forums posting question after question.... I finally got my system together, and all the parts are on their way =] check it out and let me know what you think!

CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 (plan on OCing to ~3.6-3.8)
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D Premium
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 6GB
GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD5870
Sound Card: Asus D2X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
TIM: Arctic Cooling MX-3
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX850W
Case: CM HAF 932
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razer Mamba
Mouse pad: Razer Destructor White Edition
Gamepad: Xbox 360 wireless controller
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500
Monitor(s): 1x LG 32' TV (1360 x 768) AND 1x LG 22' (1080p) monitor

Future upgrades:
I plan on sticking in another 5870 down the line, as needed, and adding an SSD when the prices become more reasonable (and when my wallet recovers...)

Phew.. thats all of it. What do you guys think?

More about : finalized build check

April 18, 2010 11:19:26 AM

Great system but wasted some money in some areas... IMO

1) I would not have recommended buying a sound card. The on-board sound on new MOBO's is very good now-a-days. You won't have needed a sound card upfront. I would've recommended waiting to built your system first to see if the sound didn't meet your needs before buying the card.

2) Corsair Dominators are overpriced... IMO. You would get better or similar performance for less money by going with G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 RAM.
m
l
April 18, 2010 12:17:44 PM

I have my doubts about that keyboard
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2010 12:23:46 PM

HX850W is overkill for one HD 5870, get the HX750W if you're going to use two, HX650W for one. I know you can't use three because you'd need a case with eight expansion slots for three way CFX/SLI with the P6X58D Premium, and HAF 932 only has seven.
m
l
April 18, 2010 7:57:16 PM

APPROX. HOW MUCH IS THIS PC BUILD?

i MAY GET IT LOL!
m
l
April 19, 2010 6:59:10 AM

@Tecmo - I didn't impulse buy the soundcard, I spent a good little while researching and came up with that choice. I perfectly understand why you'd suggest onboard first - they have come a long way. However, I do care about sound quality, so.. yup =] Also, at the store I'm buying from the Dominators are really the best quality 6GB ram I can get... I know, it sounds stupid, but the selection here isn't all that great :\

@ Somebody_007 - I actually received and have been using this mouse/keyboard combo, and its been working great! I havent experienced any lag what-so-ever, which is actually above my expectations, and its incredibly comfortable as I game from the couch :) 

@ Lmeow - first of all, amazing username :)  I realize the PSU is overkill - however, I figured that the PSU (alongside with the case) is something I'll be able to use across multiple builds, so I invested. And I personally think 3way SLI/CFX is a complete waste of money... unless, of course, yours grows on trees =]

One thing - the store Im picking up the parts from now has the GTX480 in stock, for only a very slight premium over the Vapor-X 5870. Should I get it?
m
l
April 19, 2010 8:44:26 AM

Stick with the 5870... Less power consumption, cheaper and only performs slightly less in some games.
m
l
Anonymous
May 6, 2010 7:57:31 PM

soulicro said:
@Tecmo - I didn't impulse buy the soundcard, I spent a good little while researching and came up with that choice. I perfectly understand why you'd suggest onboard first - they have come a long way. However, I do care about sound quality, so.. yup =] Also, at the store I'm buying from the Dominators are really the best quality 6GB ram I can get... I know, it sounds stupid, but the selection here isn't all that great :\

@ Somebody_007 - I actually received and have been using this mouse/keyboard combo, and its been working great! I havent experienced any lag what-so-ever, which is actually above my expectations, and its incredibly comfortable as I game from the couch :) 

@ Lmeow - first of all, amazing username :)  I realize the PSU is overkill - however, I figured that the PSU (alongside with the case) is something I'll be able to use across multiple builds, so I invested. And I personally think 3way SLI/CFX is a complete waste of money... unless, of course, yours grows on trees =]

One thing - the store Im picking up the parts from now has the GTX480 in stock, for only a very slight premium over the Vapor-X 5870. Should I get it?

------

I put together almost the same config for HD Video & audio processing including the P6X58D Premium Mobo and ASUS DX2. Running Win7 64 Pro. Diamond Radeon 5850 and Antek Earthwatts 750. System flys quiet and fast just as I like it ;-) but...

I have a question for you, are you recording with the D2X?

I am having intermittent problems with the audio drivers. Audio works fine until I start a line in recording program like Camtasia 7. Then recordings intermittantly show lots of harmonic distortion and levels drop about 6db or more. Eliminated all but the D2x so far. Sounds like fuzzy 8 bit audio at that point... Expensive problem at that point...

ASUS has not updated drivers in a long time for the D2X... Are you recording with your P6X58D Premium + DF2X rig and do you have any of these symptoms?
m
l
May 8, 2010 10:45:23 AM

Quote:
------

I put together almost the same config for HD Video & audio processing including the P6X58D Premium Mobo and ASUS DX2. Running Win7 64 Pro. Diamond Radeon 5850 and Antek Earthwatts 750. System flys quiet and fast just as I like it ;-) but...

I have a question for you, are you recording with the D2X?

I am having intermittent problems with the audio drivers. Audio works fine until I start a line in recording program like Camtasia 7. Then recordings intermittantly show lots of harmonic distortion and levels drop about 6db or more. Eliminated all but the D2x so far. Sounds like fuzzy 8 bit audio at that point... Expensive problem at that point...

ASUS has not updated drivers in a long time for the D2X... Are you recording with your P6X58D Premium + DF2X rig and do you have any of these symptoms?

I am not recording, no. I do suggest you go to the Asus site and post on their forums / contact their customer support - the motherboard and the soundcard are theirs, they'll probably be able to help you out :-)
m
l
May 9, 2010 4:09:53 AM

Dominators vs Noctua NH-D14, battle for overhead space begins.

Seriously though, might double, then triple check that you have the clearance there.

And the 1x LG 32' TV (1360 x 768) makes the baby jesus cry. I can't quite grasp the mindset of the masochist. It's going to look like ass-on-a-stick. There's a reason 30" monitors are expensive. There's a reason people don't hook up TVs to their PCs. Resolution, Resolution, Resolution. Seriously, just get a 22-24" 1920x1080 or even better 1920x1200. Size doesn't matter, only Resolution.

m
l
May 9, 2010 10:21:19 AM

checkings no use It doesn't fit if you put your d14 horizontal. My d14 hardly clears my mushkins
m
l
May 9, 2010 7:32:54 PM

@a4mula - I guess I just got used to it, so I have the advantage of ignorance... but it looks great to me!

@a4mula and somebody_007 - actually, the dominators fit just fine.. all I had to do is move the fan up a couple of centimeters.

I actually have the build up & running, I'm posting from it.. its great!
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:04:18 PM

Ok I feel reaaaaallllyyy stupid now not having thought of that.
m
l
May 9, 2010 11:26:06 PM

The only problem with that fan alignment is that it doesn't cool as well. You may not notice at 3.6, but you will beyond that. I personally would remove the RAM heatsinks, or position the NH-D14 vertically. Otherwise, you could have gotten by with a cheaper HSF.
m
l
May 10, 2010 2:55:19 PM

I would remove the ram heatsinks as there is only one ram stick which is in the way(in my case any ways) and putting it vertically would raise the temperature by a few degrees.
m
l
!