My first Build - Tell me what you think.

woodyhd

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Ok Well I'm looking into building my first system. I intend on using this with gaming, general computing and maybe even video editing so I figured I wouldn't cheap out too much. I want to future proof it as much as possible while leaving room for possible upgrades while also keeping it cheap as possible. I'm kinda set on all the items I've chosen except for maybe the graphics card. I'm running low on budget so I may downgrade that to a 5670 for a few months. I want to know what you think about it, any changes I may want to consider, and any could be compatibility problems.

newegg.png

goatsword

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
If your budget is ~$1000, (you didn't say..) you really ought to be looking at AMD.

That MB is garbage, I would never buy a mobo open box. for a reasonably priced i7 mobo, take a look at the GA-X58A-UD3R.

tecmo34

Administrator
^+1...

If mainly for gaming, get the i5 750 or AMD Phenom II X4 955 motherboard. If budget is really tight, get an AMD Athlon II X3 435 and up in the GPU to a ATI 5850 or higher. This will provide equal or better gaming performance than an i5 750/X4 955 with a lesser GPU.

As for hard drives, you want to go with either the Samsung Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12 hard drives in either 500GB or 1TB sizes. These drives are based on 500GB platters and provide faster speeds and will perform better.

woodyhd

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Ok well I can see why changing from the mobo so I switched to the

ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131386

and the hdd to a 1tb Samsung Spinpoint F3. Didn't really see the need to change but nothing wrong with having some more memory.

As for the processor and that, i looked into it but I'm deciding against it. Some of you said to upgrade the card! What do you want me to get! the Asus ares or something gosh... I don't need to play crysis at 80fps

tecmo34

Administrator
Motherboard... why not go with a retail version of ASRock X58 Extreme 3 and get USB 3.0 and SATA III for the same price??

There is no need to upgrade your GPU, if you are keeping the same CPU. What we are saying is, you won't get any better gaming performance out of an i7 930, i5 750 or even an Athlon X3 435 but you will get better FPS by going with an ATI 5850 (HIS H585FN1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB for example) or higher. If the 5830 fits your needs than by all means get it. It is a great card that most people forget about because it fits between the 5770 and 5850 and most just go with either or due to price / performance.

woodyhd

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Sounds good. Never notices that mobo. I prices some 750 rigs and they didn't end up much cheaper so i figure I mise well go with the 930 and triple channel ram.

woodyhd

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Well I bought the thing, now I just need to figure out how to get an extra $200 or so so I get the whole thing payed off. Then some more money for the wakeboard I want to get... My head is killing me now. Debating back on forth if I really even need a computer, was it really worth it, and *** like that, but I'm sure once I get this together and get it payed off I'll be happy with it.