Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Your favorite T: DS tweaks/adjustments?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 7:55:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Today, I bought Thief: Deadly Shadows after holding off for almost a
year. At the no-longer-the-newest-thing price point of $18.95, I could
finally justify what I feel is essentially a PC port of a
"dumbed-down-for-Xbox" sequel to two of my favorite stealth-themed games.

Can you folks suggest tools & Web pages that I can use to tweak T: DS to
my liking? I've read before that you can adjust practically every
parameter of the game, except level size between load zones (I guess you
can't have everything). However, I don't know where to start.

What are your favorite tweaks for T:D S to make it more like the first
two Thief games? Where did you find out how to do it? Is there such a
thing as "Thief: Deadly Shadows UI Adjustment FAQ?"

Objekt
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:12:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Objekt" <t37student@yahoo.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:Bgn5e.3550$ox3.3535@trnddc03...
> Today, I bought Thief: Deadly Shadows after holding off for almost a year.
> At the no-longer-the-newest-thing price point of $18.95, I could finally
> justify what I feel is essentially a PC port of a "dumbed-down-for-Xbox"
> sequel to two of my favorite stealth-themed games.
>
> Can you folks suggest tools & Web pages that I can use to tweak T: DS to
> my liking? I've read before that you can adjust practically every
> parameter of the game, except level size between load zones (I guess you
> can't have everything). However, I don't know where to start.
>
> What are your favorite tweaks for T:D S to make it more like the first two
> Thief games? Where did you find out how to do it? Is there such a thing
> as "Thief: Deadly Shadows UI Adjustment FAQ?"

There are three essential tweaks/mods for TDS that I suggest you take a look
at.

First, there is New Horizon's lauded 'Minimalist Project', currently in
version 1.4, which can be downloaded from the author's site here:
http://www.timgormley.ca/~minimalist/MinimalistProject-... The
Minimalist Project adjusts and/or changes several things in the game, and
generally tries to nudge the game towards what the classics looked (in terms
of the UI) and felt like. Check out the changelog at
http://www.timgormley.ca/~minimalist/changelog.pdf for all changes.

Second, there are John P's brilliant high-res textures, which improve the
visual look of the game. Find them at thiefmissions.com

There's also the ThiefBot that allows you to freely customize the TDS
difficulty level. There are independent settings for visual, audio,
tactile, hit points, combat speed, and player damage. You can make it as
difficult as you like, or as easy as you like. ThiefBot was initially
developed to solve the notorious difficulty level bug in the first release
of TDS (now fixed in the patch), but it can still be used to set a custom
difficulty level. The Minimalist Project also has custom difficulty
settings, implemented a bit differently, so you might not need ThiefBot.
Familiarize yourself with them and decide for yourself. Find the ThiefBot
here: http://www.team5150.com/~andrew/project.thiefbot/

I'd say that the Minimalist Project is your number one mod, but try the game
first without it so you have a point of comparison.

- Mika L
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 5:19:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Mika Latokartano wrote:

>
> Second, there are John P's brilliant high-res textures, which improve
> the visual look of the game. Find them at thiefmissions.com

I didn't have any trouble finding the other stuff, but where are these?
At thiefmissions.com, I can see only T1, T2, T Gold, and System Shock
2 missions. Nothing for T:D S at all.

Is there a special secret URL?

Objekt
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:07:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Objekt" <t37student@yahoo.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:gxv5e.1325$hB6.569@trnddc06...
> Mika Latokartano wrote:
>
>>
>> Second, there are John P's brilliant high-res textures, which improve the
>> visual look of the game. Find them at thiefmissions.com
>
> I didn't have any trouble finding the other stuff, but where are these? At
> thiefmissions.com, I can see only T1, T2, T Gold, and System Shock 2
> missions. Nothing for T:D S at all.
>
> Is there a special secret URL?

I'm sorry, Objekt! I made a mistake -- the textures are still available at
John P's own site, only _hosted_ by thiefmissions.com. Try this address,
you might have better luck!
http://www.graphics-by-john-p.com/textures/Thief-DS/ind...

- Mika L
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 6:04:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

also, while not a very involved or helpful tweek. there is the intro movie
change.
it removes any publisher plugs at the begnining of the game and PUTS BACK IN
the FULL INTRO MOVIE that should have shipped installed.

I mean damn! it's on the cd. why not put it in the opening sequence?
who in their right mind would sit at the menu screen for 5 minutes thinking
that it would show up? (which it apparently does if you do nothing. I mean
apparently none of us want to just start the game:)  )

under [pcstartup] in the default.ini look for:

ShortIntroMovies__t=d:\content\t3\VideoTextures\eidos-logo.bik;d:\content\t3
\VideoTextures\ionstorm-logo.bik;d:\content\t3\VideoTextures\Copyright.bik;d
:\content\t3\VideoTextures\nvidia.bik;d:\content\t3\VideoTextures\eax.bik


and add at the end of the line:

;d:\content\t3\VideoTextures\ThiefTrailerNoESRB.bik

talk about hiding the intro movie eh?
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 6:07:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:qKG5e.3802943$Zm5.609505@news.easynews.com...
> also, while not a very involved or helpful tweek. there is the intro movie
> change.
> it removes any publisher plugs at the begnining of the game and PUTS BACK
IN
> the FULL INTRO MOVIE that should have shipped installed.
>
> I mean damn! it's on the cd. why not put it in the opening sequence?
> who in their right mind would sit at the menu screen for 5 minutes
thinking
> that it would show up? (which it apparently does if you do nothing. I mean
> apparently none of us want to just start the game:)  )
>
> under [pcstartup] in the default.ini look for:
>
>
ShortIntroMovies__t=d:\content\t3\VideoTextures\eidos-logo.bik;d:\content\t3
>
\VideoTextures\ionstorm-logo.bik;d:\content\t3\VideoTextures\Copyright.bik;d
> :\content\t3\VideoTextures\nvidia.bik;d:\content\t3\VideoTextures\eax.bik
>
>
> and add at the end of the line:
>
> ;d:\content\t3\VideoTextures\ThiefTrailerNoESRB.bik
>
> talk about hiding the intro movie eh?
>
>
correction. it only removes publisher plugs if you remove them yourself from
the list above. oops. :) 
if you want to leave them in then just follow the original instructions.
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:54:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Mika Latokartano wrote:

> First, there is New Horizon's lauded 'Minimalist Project', currently in
> version 1.4, which can be downloaded from the author's site here:
> http://www.timgormley.ca/~minimalist/MinimalistProject-... The
> Minimalist Project adjusts and/or changes several things in the game, and
> generally tries to nudge the game towards what the classics looked (in terms
> of the UI) and felt like. Check out the changelog at
> http://www.timgormley.ca/~minimalist/changelog.pdf for all changes.

This sounds very interesting. However, the changelog says that it
"replaces" the .ini. Is it really a replacement, or does it only alter
several entries? I had to tweak my .ini quite a lot make the make the
game run anywhere near smooth and don't believe I can recall everything
to make it smooth again.

Cheerio
Kai
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:54:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Kai Kindereit" <kai.kindereit@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:D 388of.2d8.1@cidernaut.my-fqdn.de...
> Mika Latokartano wrote:
>
> However, the changelog says that it
> "replaces" the .ini. Is it really a replacement, or does it only alter
> several entries? I had to tweak my .ini quite a lot make the make the
> game run anywhere near smooth and don't believe I can recall everything
> to make it smooth again.
>
> Cheerio
> Kai


I'ld suggest backing up your .ini file, apply the Minimalist patch, and then
compare both ini files. You then still have the changes you made at hand and
can add them again to the ini file bit by bit to make sure it runs properly
and doesn't interfere with the minimalist changes, if still needed.

--
Barnaby
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 6:20:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Barnaby wrote:

> "Kai Kindereit" <kai.kindereit@gmx.de> wrote in message
> news:D 388of.2d8.1@cidernaut.my-fqdn.de...
>> Mika Latokartano wrote:
>>
>> However, the changelog says that it
>> "replaces" the .ini. Is it really a replacement, or does it only alter
>> several entries? I had to tweak my .ini quite a lot make the make the
>> game run anywhere near smooth and don't believe I can recall everything
>> to make it smooth again.
>>
>> Cheerio
>> Kai
>
>
> I'ld suggest backing up your .ini file, apply the Minimalist patch, and then
> compare both ini files. You then still have the changes you made at hand and
> can add them again to the ini file bit by bit to make sure it runs properly
> and doesn't interfere with the minimalist changes, if still needed.

As I wrote, I cannot recall which changes I made. Looking at the .ini
itself will not give me any clue. Of course, one could compare the old
and the new version by way of a word processor but how could I tell
which changes were made by Minimalist to do what it does, which just
restored defaults?

Cheerio
Kai
!