Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why does my Centrino run full speed on battery power??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 19, 2004 2:56:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Model: Acer TravelMate 8003LMi (Pentium-M 1.6GHz)
OS: WinXP Pro SP1

Bizarrely it seems like my laptop is running full speed (1.6GHz) when on
battery power, and when on mains it goes down to 600MHz. I thought this was
meant to be the other way round?!
I am using MobileMeter to measure speeds, and they seem to agree with the
values in My Computer|Properties. When I increase the CPU load on mains
power (eg. 3DMark), the speed goes up to 1.6GHz so the numbers seem right.
I don't understand what's going on under battery power though. Just
unplugged the power supply again and there you have it, 1.6GHz. Is this a
"feature" of the Pentium-M or is there some problem with my power
management setup?

Thanks in advance for any help and tips,

Cheers
Mike
September 19, 2004 3:29:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In comp.sys.laptops Mike <mdh@deadspam.com> wrote:
: Model: Acer TravelMate 8003LMi (Pentium-M 1.6GHz)
: OS: WinXP Pro SP1

: Bizarrely it seems like my laptop is running full speed (1.6GHz) when on
: battery power, and when on mains it goes down to 600MHz. I thought this was
: meant to be the other way round?!
: I am using MobileMeter to measure speeds, and they seem to agree with the
: values in My Computer|Properties. When I increase the CPU load on mains
: power (eg. 3DMark), the speed goes up to 1.6GHz so the numbers seem right.
: I don't understand what's going on under battery power though. Just
: unplugged the power supply again and there you have it, 1.6GHz. Is this a
: "feature" of the Pentium-M or is there some problem with my power
: management setup?

I'd guess it's the power management setup. My Toshiba has its own
power management console in the control panel to allow different speed
settings on battery vs. AC Power. It would obviously make sense to
set the CPU speed to be slower on battery, but on my Toshiba I could
set it the opposite way if I wanted to. Toshiba also includes
"profiles" for battery use, and I can switch between "Long Life" (slow
CPU) and "Full Power" as I wish.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 19, 2004 2:23:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Mike wrote:

> Model: Acer TravelMate 8003LMi (Pentium-M 1.6GHz)
> OS: WinXP Pro SP1
>
> Bizarrely it seems like my laptop is running full speed (1.6GHz) when
> on battery power, and when on mains it goes down to 600MHz. I thought
> this was meant to be the other way round?!
> I am using MobileMeter to measure speeds, and they seem to agree with
> the values in My Computer|Properties. When I increase the CPU load on
> mains power (eg. 3DMark), the speed goes up to 1.6GHz so the numbers
> seem right. I don't understand what's going on under battery power
> though. Just unplugged the power supply again and there you have it,
> 1.6GHz. Is this a "feature" of the Pentium-M or is there some problem
> with my power management setup?

It's most likely an issue with Your power management software. From what I
know Acer doesn't offer its own pm software and relies fully on what comes
with windows.

Get the program SpeesSwitchXP from http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/, with
it You can alter the pm settings the way You like.

Benjamin
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 19, 2004 6:20:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:2r4u01F158i5jU1@uni-berlin.de...

>
> Get the program SpeesSwitchXP from http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/,
with
> it You can alter the pm settings the way You like.
>
> Benjamin
>

Was just idly browsing through topics when I found this post and decided to
give speedswitchxp a try to see if it could solve my "fan always on" problem
I have with my Aries laptop, which quite frankly sounds like a jet engine.
Sure enough it did !

Thanks for the tip. Now I have peace and quiet when browsing or usenet-ing !
Heaven.

Odd aside - I had to reinstall win XP a while back on this laptop. Before
the reinstall the processor seemed to be stepping down quite nicely. After
the reinstall on a "fresh" system - running full pelt with the fan going
like there's no tomorrow ! I had the lappy from new with no OS installed and
I don't recall it going like the clappers when I first installed to OS or
before I had to reinstall. Odd or what ?

It's all quiet now though. :-)


Rachael
September 20, 2004 5:37:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:23:22 +0200, Benjamin Gawert wrote:

> It's most likely an issue with Your power management software. From what I
> know Acer doesn't offer its own pm software and relies fully on what comes
> with windows.

Exactly...

> Get the program SpeesSwitchXP from http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/, with
> it You can alter the pm settings the way You like.

Great, thanks for the tip! SpeedSwitchXP did indeed sort out my problem, I
can now run my CPU the way I expect it to, and I don't even need the app to
be running.
Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike
!