Sign in with
Your question

Booting/Freezing Issue

Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2010 2:43:35 PM

I believe this an issue with the motherboard. If not, please feel free to move it to the correct forum.

I have an issue with my computer. It is been going on for awhile, but today it seems to have boiled over into a bigger issue. Basically, if I turn my computer off, it needs three or four boots to become 'stable' and not not have the operation system crash. Once the OS is stable, it can go months and months with no issues as long as it is not turned off. This issue happened with both Windows 7 and Vista.

I made the mistake of turning it off since I was going to be out of town for a week for the holidays. I had to come back and go through the normal haggling with it (I had to put in a Windows 7 Recovery Disk and rebuild the BCD), but I went to bed last night with it stable. The power went out last night and the computer turned off. This morning, it had several issues including the BIOS deleting itself. I had to reinsert the recovery disk and rebuild the BCD again.

I got it back up and running and it seemed stable. I tried to remote into my work VPN and the monitors shut down, acting like they were not getting any input from the computer. The computer then shut down. It attempted to restart but never could. It kept going in that loop for about ten times. The monitors never received any input from the computer and thus the "no signal" box pops up.

I built the machine myself. I can dig up the specs if I need to. The only other change I have made recently is installing Ubuntu on the same drive as Windows 7/Vista. I have heard this causes issues, but certainly not this?

UPDATE: I got the computer to boot when I got home from work. During the course of messing with it, I got three BSOD messages: Error Writing to Read-Only Memory, Disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing, and IRQL_NOTLESS_EQUAL.

More about : booting freezing issue

December 30, 2010 2:26:47 PM

Could be a problem with the memory. Also check the capacitors on the motherboard itself. I have seen some weird stuff when they are going bad.

What kind of motherboard and memory do you have?
a c 103 V Motherboard
December 30, 2010 4:11:06 PM

First of all, welcome to the forums! Second, find the specs to your system. Third, download the MemTest86+ .zip file. Extract the .iso file and burn it to CD as a disc image. Keep the disc in the computer.

Now that you've got MT86+, shut down. Remove all but one RAM stick. Attempt to power on. Whether or not you have a stable system, repeat this step unitl you've tested every stick in every slot. Follow this example:

RAM 1: | _ _ _
RAM 1: _ | _ _
RAM 1: _ _ | _
RAM 1: _ _ _ |

Repeat the above until you've tried every stick in every slot. Note that with MT86+ in the disc drive, any successful boots will automatically start the testing. Test every stick possible. Should you find any errors, ditch the RAM and pick up new ones.

!