Sign in with
Your question

Not all RAM detected

Last response: in Memory
December 29, 2010 3:47:19 PM

Hi,

I've been building a computer, and it seems that only half of the RAM is being detected.

I'm using an ASUS P7P55D-E Pro motherboard and G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL RAM.

I've tried switching the sticks, and it still only detects 2 Gb. Before anyone asks, yes, I did read the sticky, but it wasn't really clear on how this problem can be fixed beyond buying new RAM. Am I going to have to buy new RAM, or is there another way to fix this?

More about : ram detected

December 30, 2010 11:17:53 AM

What CPU are you using?
m
l
December 30, 2010 2:04:41 PM

I'm using an Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core CPU.
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2010 2:25:06 PM

Do you use Windows or CPU-Z to see how much memory you have ?
What does BIOS say under System Information ?

Try blowing a jet of air into the memory slots on the motherboard. Maybe there's some dust there that prevents the memory from being detected. And by the way: have you inserted the modules correctly ? Did you hear the click ?

Another option would be to try the modules with memtest. You will need an usb stick, and if you don't know how to do it, there's plenty how-to's on the web.
m
l
December 30, 2010 2:40:13 PM

ghost_florian said:
Do you use Windows or CPU-Z to see how much memory you have ?
What does BIOS say under System Information ?

Try blowing a jet of air into the memory slots on the motherboard. Maybe there's some dust there that prevents the memory from being detected. And by the way: have you inserted the modules correctly ? Did you hear the click ?

Another option would be to try the modules with memtest. You will need an usb stick, and if you don't know how to do it, there's plenty how-to's on the web.

It says that there's only 2 gb when I check the bios and also in Speccy. I'll try using compressed air. Also, it seems that the trouble is happening with slot B1, because I tried starting up with a stick of RAM in that slot alone, and I got an error. However, both sticks work in slot A1.
m
l
December 30, 2010 2:43:04 PM

Try the memory in a different slot. Run memtest on each module for 1-2 passes. If you don't get any errors, then the motherboard is faulty...
m
l
!