Need buying advice on X58 motherboard with SATA III, USB 3.0, dual NIC

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: $300USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: small website hosting, SQL Server, itunes server, HyperV

Parts Not Required: video card and RAM

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon, etc

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: ATX form factor, Intel based

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: n/a

Additional Comments: prefer the least restrictive data transfer rates

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of building a new home server (going to run Windows Server 2008 R2). I already have the RAM (G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB DDR3 1600 - Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL). I already know which processor I'm going to use, which is the Intel Core i7-950.

I need help deciding on a motherboard. I will be using a RAID 1 for my OS and will be purchasing SATA III 6Gb/s drives. I have been reading that some mobo's don't do RAID well on the SATA III controllers? I would also like it to have at least two USB 3.0 ports. Lastly, I would like to have dual NICs for load balancing.

I will use this server for hosting my small website and for SQL server 2008. I will also probably use the HyperV features of the OS for a test environment. My main concern is throughput, I don't want any bottlenecks. I want to use SATA III drives, therefore I have not spec'd out any "real" server equipment, such as products from SuperMicro (server mobo's) and the Xeon cpu's.

Can anyone help me out with this? All comments, positive or negative are welcome.

Here is one mobo I am considering GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128422, but everyday I check newegg, I can't decide on which to get. Maybe this one instead? EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188065

This machine won't be used for any gaming of any kind. Am I going about this the wrong way? Should I be looking at server specific hardware?
7 answers Last reply
More about need buying advice motherboard sata dual
  1. Anyone? am I not doing something correctly to ask for help? 90 views and no replies.
  2. rolli59 said:

Thanks, that board was actually on my wish list, until i read all the comments with folks having issues with the SATA III controller, and also you can't RAID 1 the SATA III controller, so i must look for something else :(
  3. This would have been my second choice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131666 not sure about the raid though.
  4. Other than the 'iTunes serving' I would NOT recommend X58, but instead I would run a Xeon and use RHEL vs MS SQL server 2008. You ONLY want ECC RAM with ANY SQL Server.

I have a HUGE number of Servers, and little of what you have above makes any sense. You only need Dual NIC as backup/redundancy nothing load balancing about it; also you need a switch that supports the feature like Cisco. Any 'speed' increase from the NICs will only benefit you internally and then ONLY if the 'internal' bandwidth sharing is beyond 1000Mbps.

What's your total budget for the 'Server'?
  5. jaquith said:
    Other than the 'iTunes serving' I would NOT recommend X58, but instead I would run a Xeon and use RHEL vs MS SQL server 2008. You ONLY want ECC RAM with ANY SQL Server.

I have a HUGE number of Servers, and little of what you have above makes any sense. You only need Dual NIC as backup/redundancy nothing load balancing about it; also you need a switch that supports the feature like Cisco. Any 'speed' increase from the NICs will only benefit you internally and then ONLY if the 'internal' bandwidth sharing is beyond 1000Mbps.

What's your total budget for the 'Server'?

I do greatly appreciate your opinions, however I don't prefer any Linux.

Why do you NOT recommend X58?

Also, to better help explain my choices, I already have RAM which I want to use so i'm building the system around the RAM which is 12GB triple channel G. Skill

I fully understand NIC load balancing and the necessary requirements.

Total budget is $1500 or less. I already have SATA III drives, video card, 12 GB RAM so all I need is cpu, motherboard, case, power supply.
  6. My opinions were after we tested both SQL versions, and found the RHEL to be more reliable and faster - the costs are essentially the same. I don' use 'free' anything; paid and managed.

Tests {research yourself} http://www.redhat.com/pdf/rhel/bmsql-postgres-sqlsrvr-v1.0-1.pdf I process Parcel, REO, IDX, etc data for three states and my best friend runs the networking department for Wachovia bank -- we cannot be all wrong about this, but I don't care what you use.

Q - What SATA3 drives??

I assume you're very new to SQL, so what kind of data are you processing and what's your expected load?
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Product