Toshiba laptop video problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 18, 2004 9:16:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

I recently re-installed Windows XP on a Toshiba Satellite 1415-S173,
which has nvidia Geforce4 420 GO video. Windows set up with generic
VGA driver and when I switched to the Gforce specific driver from the
Toshiba support site, windows hangs on booting. The screen goes black
and never returns after the starting windows screen. I have tried
several versions of the drivers, all with similar results. As well, I
tried installing the intel chipset drivers, including the AGP
controller, also with similar results.

After failure, booting in safe mode results in an error message,
saying that the video driver failed a drawing operation.

If I boot in VGA and go into the device manager, I notice a conflict
on the driver resources, between the display adapter and AGP
controller. Could this be the source of my problem?

Has anyone seen this before, or can suggest a solution?

Does anyone know of utilities to test for bad video cards, or debug
driver problems?

I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks
September 19, 2004 4:54:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

I have a 1415-S115. My video hardware should be the same as yours.

Did you install XP using the restore disks from Toshiba? If so, I'm
surprised you have *any* conflicts. Shouldn't the restore roll the
laptop back to the way it was shipped?

If it would help, I can provide you with my driver files. Windows
lists about 15-odd driver files I could send to you...

Here's some info for you from my control panel:

NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go
Location: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
Driver Provider: NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4/19/2002
Driver Version: 2.8.4.6

IRQ 10

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

It's almost a certainty that you have the wrong driver(s) installed. I
have installed generic XP on the same model with no problems. I have
also installed Windows 98SE, in fact mine is dual boot (if anyone needs
the procedures and drivers for 98SE on a 1415, which is not supported by
Toshiba, let me know -- EVERYTHING works, modem, sound, video, LAN ....
everything).

If you have the original restore CD, I'd use that, it does an integrated
installation with the drivers.

cdegruch wrote:

> I recently re-installed Windows XP on a Toshiba Satellite 1415-S173,
> which has nvidia Geforce4 420 GO video. Windows set up with generic
> VGA driver and when I switched to the Gforce specific driver from the
> Toshiba support site, windows hangs on booting. The screen goes black
> and never returns after the starting windows screen. I have tried
> several versions of the drivers, all with similar results. As well, I
> tried installing the intel chipset drivers, including the AGP
> controller, also with similar results.
>
> After failure, booting in safe mode results in an error message,
> saying that the video driver failed a drawing operation.
>
> If I boot in VGA and go into the device manager, I notice a conflict
> on the driver resources, between the display adapter and AGP
> controller. Could this be the source of my problem?
>
> Has anyone seen this before, or can suggest a solution?
>
> Does anyone know of utilities to test for bad video cards, or debug
> driver problems?
>
> I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 19, 2004 10:52:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

I would very much appreciate it if you could do this for me.

I do not have the recovery disk as this laptop was bought from ebay
without any type of operating system with it, as well as no recovery
disk. (There was conflict between what the person said was going to
come with the system and what actually did come with the system)

I tried to email you, unfortunatley the email bounced back to me.

Anything you can do to help me in this matter would be immensely
appreciated.

Craig DeGruchy

!