Proof that Eyefinity is back from 1985!

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
wow- thats an impressive setup and probably took a TON of time and tweaking to make it work. Did you guys notice how many computers it looked like there are running that system???

First of all that's not 1985, it's actually about 2001 and the setup was in Maximum PC.

http://www.wideview.it/steve/

It's running off of multiple PCs not just multiple monitors, and it's a software solution, that works alongside M$ FS' built in software. It's LAN-tastic.

Glad to see you think they had cheap and plentiful PC-DVD ROMs in 1985.
Heck WORM cartridge drives were rare then. :kaola:

It's funny I don't even think of the mice, since I had a mouse-systems optical mouse in like 1982 or '83 for my original PC, and my PC Jr came with one too in 1984 (by which time the Mac came out with one and the 3.5" floppies).

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

HAHAHAHA! Well Said!

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Good call on the dating guys. I just enjoyed looking at the picture:) I remember the first CD-Rom that my family got and I helped my dad install it- you had to even put the CD's into a cartridge for it! BTW- wouldn't remember much from 1985 as I was too young to even eat by myself yet... LOL

Yeah I remember the self-loading cartidge drives those were some of the early CD transports.

WORM drives were essentially CD-Rs that were in a big cartridge (like a Zip drive / Floppy Disk) and you fed them in. I can't remember the size, but I think they were something like 50-100MB when I first saw them at IBM, and then 300+MB later on.

Here's a video with the 240GB drive talking about 1GB in 1988;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9c8SVE9He8

"I think we've all been waiting for erasable technology to arrive for some time"
PS, Nice Hair !! :sol:

$5000 for the first re-writable;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDIGiXLc5Q&feature=related

Makes me laugh remembering that stuff, my dad worked in image application @ IBM and it was awesome getting to play with all the new toys, and impressive having that much data in one place at the time. Think 1GB in 1988 (over 20 years ago).

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Oh Ape! This is supposed to be a funny thread, something to make people laugh! If you are to analyse everything to death, then you are killing all the fun. 1985 was not meant to be taken literally. On the other hand, it seems that people like quiz photographs. Perhaps we could start a quiz thread where somebody uploads a picture with some hardware and people have to guess the exact year.

Anyway, the big giveaway on this picture would be FS2004 with mod or FSX, both MUCH later than 1985...

The giveaway would be the link I linked to with the actual setup (the one that states FS2002), and the fact that it was widely published in something like MaximumPC (back in the days went it was relevant) as one of the 'Rig of the Month' winners. :kaola:

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

That is not a giveaway, that is a spoiler! Spoiler alert! (spoiler=pun intended!)

The monitors at the end of the rig even show the tips from each wing of the plane! lol! He should have an extra monitor set up at 180o behind, to look at the tail! hehe

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Time for the Quiz forum i guess!!! Hey mods, create a forum where people post pictures from the computer era and we try to guess the year! Extra points for things in the picture that provide hints (also photoshoped items welcome to make it more interesting+funny, lol)

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

lol!
File>New>Folder>Forums>Quiz
there you go...

Perhaps a weekly updated thread would be easier then...

Thanks for passing the reco though!

TRENDING THREADS