Need help! I believe it's gpu-related

c2explosive

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Okay so here's the scoop, long story short, I basically have two computers now, one really good one for gaming and the other one which is okay for general purpose stuff. It has an AMD Athlon x64 processor in it, a beta version of windows 7 (which I just installed the real version tonight), and it DID have an old nvidia 8500 gt. I gave the 8500 gt to my brother so he could play scII beta with me (^^!!) but also because for some reason, randomly one day, the computer had just started receiving absolutely NO signal from the graphics card (the monitor just said no signal and powered down).

Windows beta had warned me at that time that it was going to expire so I attributed it to that. In any-case, I have an old hd4850 lying around and was going to take this old computer and breathe some new life into it with a 475W psu and the 4850, (both of which I KNOW work because they were from an HP that I had ordered).

The computer when first turned on worked fine, I had the vga cable plugged into the vga port on the mobo which connects to the nvidia 6500se (I think) integrated gpu. However, upon installing the 4850 + PSU, everything powered up fine... and then just black. I tried hitting some keys, ctrl+alt+delete, nothing happened, and then the screen slowly comes on, but all it shows is a mouse cursor. Originally I thought maybe the PCI-Ex16 lane had been damaged (even though it had been working just FINE with my 8500gt until that one day it just crapped out), but since I'm seeing a mouse cursor, that means some kind of signal is being sent/received correct? Any thoughts or help on the subject is greatly appreciated, thx a lot gurus!

P.S. Let me know if you need anymore info! :)

Onyx3173

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I don't have much experience with having an integrated graphics card but have you tried hooking your monitor up to the VGA output on the 4850 then disabling the integrated through the device manager? (You'll have to check around to make sure the device manager is the correct place to disable it, you might have to do it through the BIOS. As I said, I really don't have experience with integrated card.)

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
If you mean you did plug it in to the 4850, and that's what happened, it might be a driver issue. Did you install ATI drivers for the 4850 before installing it? Or are you trying to run a Radeon HD 4850 on Geforce 8500gt drivers?