Power button issues

macrinus

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
When i press the power button NOTHING happens, i can press it a hundred times and it may not come on, then after some time i can go back and press the button and the computer turns on normally and the pc operates normally, What could cause this strange and very frustrating problem?

Solution
If it has a reset switch, swap the switches and try to boot with the reset switch. Or you can take a bare, unpainted paperclip and working from the back of the mainpower connector, momentarily short the green wire to one of the adjacent black wires. If you can reliably start the PC either way, you have an intermittent power switch.

If the system still does not boot, the next most likely suspect is the power supply.

macrinus

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
nah i've owned the pc for 2-3 years now, i've always taken excellent care of it, its working right now but it took me all day to get it to power on, i made sure that it was plugged in well so many times that i count that high, but it almost seemed random that after i fooled with it for hours i stepped away for a break and came back and simply press the button and it came on, this is the same thing it did yesterday, but i was sure it was fixed so i shut down the pc and went to bed and got up this morning and pressed the power button and it did nothing

macrinus

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
nah i've owned the pc for 2-3 years now, i've always taken excellent care of it, its working right now but it took me all day to get it to power on, i made sure that it was plugged in well so many times that i count that high, but it almost seemed random that after i fooled with it for hours i stepped away for a break and came back and simply press the button and it came on, this is the same thing it did yesterday, but i was sure it was fixed so i shut down the pc and went to bed and got up this morning and pressed the power button and it did nothing

If it has a reset switch, swap the switches and try to boot with the reset switch. Or you can take a bare, unpainted paperclip and working from the back of the mainpower connector, momentarily short the green wire to one of the adjacent black wires. If you can reliably start the PC either way, you have an intermittent power switch.

If the system still does not boot, the next most likely suspect is the power supply.

Solution

macrinus

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
yes the little green light that is on the motherboard appears to surge, when i press the power button, so could that be a sign of a power supply issue, also when the pc does turn on it operates perfectly, i play high end games and have no issues after i get the pc to turn on, so could it still be a power supply issue? i would think that if it were then i would be unable to play high end games without my pc shutting off from lack of power