Sign in with
Your question
Solved

DDR3 RAM Help

Last response: in Memory
December 29, 2010 7:09:53 PM

Hello- I am getting ready to install a new mobo, cpu, RAM, and HDD in my old XP Pro machine. I am working with the original Compaq Presario mATX form factor case and am installing the following components:
ASUS M4A88TD-N/USB3.0 mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE CPU (Retail)
WD VelociRaptor 450GB HDD
The question I have is regarding the best RAM for this combination. I would like to use 2 X 2GB DDR3. I do not have a clue what to look for in terms of latency, voltage, timing, etc.. I am aware that with 32bit OS I am using that 4GB is the most i can install, and probably only see about 3GB of it. Also keep in mind that an upgrade to Windows 7 64bit down the road is a possibility. So, could someone please recommend some RAM for me that will complement the mobo/cpu combo I am running? I certainly appreciate it.
Thank you! :) 
TimW

More about : ddr3 ram

Best solution

a c 128 } Memory
a c 159 à CPUs
December 29, 2010 7:55:40 PM

Newegg has a 15% off discount code that expires today. I recommend (2) 4 gb sticks of 1600 if your board and budget can handle it. I use plain gskill ripjaws 1600. It runs at 9-9-9-24, which looks slow on paper, but performs well when the cpu is overclocked. I won't pay extra for ram with lower timings, but some folks will. The lower numbers certainly help, but they come at a price.
December 30, 2010 12:19:52 AM

o1die said:
Newegg has a 15% off discount code that expires today. I recommend (2) 4 gb sticks of 1600 if your board and budget can handle it. I use plain gskill ripjaws 1600. It runs at 9-9-9-24, which looks slow on paper, but performs well when the cpu is overclocked. I won't pay extra for ram with lower timings, but some folks will. The lower numbers certainly help, but they come at a price.

actually kingmax has 7 7 7 sticks that are cheaper than corsair on 9 9 9

why is that?
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2010 12:54:39 AM

That was the purpose of going with that cpu in this application- to avoid oc'g the bloody thing. The cache and speed of this piece is more than adequate for the environment this machine is used in, XP Pro 32bit. I just want 2 x 2GB of some quick 1333 DDR3 RAM. Nothin' trick- just quality and efficiency. I'm leaning towards Corsair or OCZ. I'm greatful for your responses, though.
Thanks!
TimW
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:27:56 PM

Best answer selected by zeuseng06.
m
l
!