Sign in with
Your question

Cpu Upgrade?

Last response: in CPUs
June 26, 2010 6:28:53 PM

Whats the fastest or highest model cpu that can be placed on the Intel 945G Big Lake Motherboard? Its a Gateway PC currently has the Pentium D 820.

More about : cpu upgrade

a c 220 à CPUs
a c 194 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
June 26, 2010 6:45:39 PM

I am pretty sure you are limited to very early LGA 775 chips. That would be Pentium 4 5xx and 6xx series and Pentium D 8xx chips and 9xx chips. You could go with a faster clock speed Pentium D but in my opinion that is a waste of money. You would be spending money on obsolete tech that was not even very good when it was new.

To specifically answer your question a Pentium D 960 is probably the fastest chip that board will support.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/WMEOEMD945...
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2010 7:28:08 PM

Quote:
Time to upgrade.

You could get a E3300/G41 combo that would be twice as fast as your current setup for less than $100.

Upgrading to a dead socket..!! Not a very bright idea (even if it is less than 100$)..
July 3, 2010 12:34:03 AM

Thanks everyone. This is what I pretty much was thinking but wasn't 100% certain. I guess the best thing to do is to just de-brand the computer? I'd much rather do this than get old upgrades but I wasn't sure if my recovery discs would work on the new set up. I don't have the actual OS disk and I would hate to shell out 100$+ for win 7 right now. I'd go with Linux but I'm not that tech savvy. Any suggestions?
July 8, 2010 6:42:30 PM

I think there are programs that can show you what serial you are using on your OS (search on google :p ), that is the only thing you need to do a fresh installation on a new PC. I dont think it whould be iligal for your to download a new DVD with your OS when you have a valid serial, just make sure you are not sharing while downloading.
!