EVGA p55v won't boot with twp single channel ram sticks

GutReaction

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hello, I have an evga p55v and two 2gig (patriot) single channel ram sticks. Both will work perfectly alone, but when I install the second it will not boot. I have tried them in different slots too.
I know evga says the p55 supports dual channel, but I cannot find anywhere it specifies only one single channel.
This is an evga board and NOT an Asus, but there is no sub category for evga but the system won't let me ask a question unless I include a brand.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
What is your CPU ? What are your RAM sticks ? Specs ?

The motherboard should be dual channel, not RAM. The motherboard can run in single channel or dual channel depending on how you install the RAM sticks.

If you cannot run two RAM sticks together, you may have to increase IMC voltage and/or DRAM voltage slightly in BIOS. Please check the motherboard manual for safe voltages.

There are no such thing as single or dual channel memory sticks.

If they are the same sticks and your using two of them, thats dual channel.

Did you follow your motherboard manual on which slots to install them in?

That's a really crappy board by the way, the reviews are horrible, and only 1 year warranty?? WTF? I've never seen a motherboard with only 1 yr warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188064

Solution

GutReaction

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks to all for the answers.

The board was on sale at CompUSA and I'm on a budget so what can I say. I'm stuck with it. I did notice (after I installed it) that you can't overclock anything, so even though I don't do that anyway I wanted the ability to do it if I wanted to try it out. Oh well.

I went back and used slot 1 and 2 and I got the full four Gig of memory so at least that part works. But now I'm a bit confused as to the whole dual channel thing. The stores sell RAM labeled as single AND dual channel, and naturally the duals are more expensive.
Also, these are both identical 2g sticks but they wouldn't both show up when I used slots 1 and 3 which is what the manual says will work. Is it possible that BIOS would show the 1-3 configuration as only 2gig BUT as dual channel? I wouldn't think so, but at this point I'm stumped, and I'm not sure I could go ahead and just buy two more of the same 2gig sticks and be done with it.

I looked for about an hour on EVGA's forum and didn't see any reference to my specific situation and I have always gotten nowhere with tech support in the past (I much prefer these forums, as that's usually where the most experienced people are), and thanks again for the heads up.