Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How can I put the 2nd display always on the left?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2010 12:41:47 PM

Hi,
I have two screens and the right one is my main screen where i have the taskbar and everything. for some things (as gaming) i only use that screen. i know how i can activate (and deactivate) the left screen and how i can set it, so that it is virtually to the left so i can move the mouse pointer to the left to get to that screen.
Now it's kind of inconvenient that i have to change this setting everytime i swith my 2nd screen on. So it would be nice if i could somehow change a standard setting so that it is automatically right every time. I already searched for it quite a bit in the CCC, the windows settings and on the internet but didn't find anything useful.

i'm using windows 7 with an ati hd 5850 and i got the CCC.

Thanks for your help!

ABBDVD

More about : put 2nd display left

March 26, 2010 2:35:52 PM

Here are the steps that worked for me.

Go to CCC and click on Desktops and Displays.

Click on Detect Displays to make sure that the physical monitors are where they are on CCC.

After that, on CCC, click on the monitor you want to move and drag it to where you want it to be.

Now everytime your computer starts, it will have this configuration.
m
l
March 26, 2010 2:51:56 PM

You are right as long as you don't deactivate the 2nd monitor sometimes (what i need to do). So far i did it like that but after deactivating it you have to do this setting again.
I guess i need to change a setting that puts any 2nd screen that is connected always to the left. But thank you.
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2010 8:36:03 PM

push
m
l
April 2, 2010 8:27:07 AM

push
I still don't have a good solution.
m
l
April 4, 2010 5:35:33 PM

Why do you have to deactivate it?
m
l
April 4, 2010 5:39:26 PM

If you deactivate it of course it loses the settings, however if you just unplug the other monitor it will set you to single screen and resume dual screening in the previous configuration once you plug it back in again.
m
l
April 4, 2010 6:39:30 PM

@ Redsnake77: there are some games which don't support a second screen and that you can't play with a second screen on...

@ hunter315: well the problem with this, is that the mouse will still move out of the screen and that can be (as in my case) quite a problem if you want to play games.
m
l

Best solution

April 4, 2010 6:48:49 PM

I don't know if this will work for you, but this is what I do. I go into CCC and I have different presets for my regular extended config and my eyefinity config. So what you do in CCC is click options up at the top and then go to profiles, next go to profile manager and make a name for how your two screens should look (on the left) and save it. Now disable the monitor that you want to disable, so you just have a single screen functioning, and again go into profiles manager and make a new name for how just your one monitor config. So when you need to use just one screen (or go back into two screens) you go into CCC and go into options, mouse over profiles, mouse over activate profile, and then select whichever name that has the one monitor (or two, if you need to switch back).

April 4, 2010 8:02:21 PM

When I game I tend to have Afterburner and soemtimes media center on my 2nd screen on the left, and the game is played in full screen on the primary display. I have to alt-tab out of the game to access the 2nd screen.
m
l
April 4, 2010 8:58:23 PM

sparkman said:
... So when you need to use just one screen (or go back into two screens) you go into CCC and go into options, mouse over profiles, mouse over activate profile, and then select whichever name that has the one monitor (or two, if you need to switch back).

That's just as much work as moving the second screen on the other side if you have to go into the CCC and so on, isn't it? But it's good to know that their is the possibility to save the screen settings (for a beamer or another screen which needs more settings).

@ Redsnake77: well in Assassin's Creed for example, the mouse can move out of the main screen on the left side and then if you want to move back to the right you first have to move in the main screen again and then to the right, so across two screens.
but i actually didn't try out how other games behave while having two screens on. it's possibly just a problem in a few games.

Edit: I figured out that you can activate a profile also with a right-click on the ccc symbol at the bottom right and then choosing the option. You don't actually have to enter the CCC. So it is perfect, sparkman. Thanks a lot! With just one click I can activate the screen and it is on the left side!

---Thread can be closed---
m
l
April 4, 2010 9:11:08 PM

Best answer selected by ABBDVD.
m
l
April 4, 2010 10:14:37 PM

ABBDVD said:
Edit: I figured out that you can activate a profile also with a right-click on the ccc symbol at the bottom right and then choosing the option. You don't actually have to enter the CCC. So it is perfect, sparkman. Thanks a lot! With just one click I can activate the screen and it is on the left side!

Thanks for discovering that out also, that is pretty useful. Glad I could help though.
m
l
!