Sign in with
Your question

Difference in using P5N-E SLI vs. P5N SLI?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2010 8:08:34 PM

I've run into a bit of trouble with my computer and my P5N-E SLI was destroyed. I was looking into buying another motherboard of the exact same type, when I found a good deal on a P5N SLI. I was wondering if there would be any difference in using this motherboard instead. Here are my specs to give you an idea:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
GPU: Evga 8800GT
RAM: OCZ Platinum Revision 2GB
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB SATA

Thanks.

Edit: It might also be relevant that I DO NOT plan on using a SLI setup in my system.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 V Motherboard
December 30, 2010 7:55:11 AM

The main difference between them is that P5N-E SLI uses Nvidia 650i SLI chipset which supports 1333MHz CPUs;whereas,the other one uses Nvidia 570i chipset which supports older CPUs.
E6850 is a 1333MHz CPU so it may not work on P5N SLI.
December 30, 2010 3:50:25 PM

aquafloe said:
I've run into a bit of trouble with my computer and my P5N-E SLI was destroyed. I was looking into buying another motherboard of the exact same type, when I found a good deal on a P5N SLI. I was wondering if there would be any difference in using this motherboard instead. Here are my specs to give you an idea:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
GPU: Evga 8800GT
RAM: OCZ Platinum Revision 2GB
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB SATA

Thanks.

Edit: It might also be relevant that I DO NOT plan on using a SLI setup in my system.

From Newegg for $90.00

"Get great performance with Asus' P5N-D motherboard. Powered by NVIDIA's nForce 750i SLI chipset, it supports Intel LGA775 Core 2 processors include Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Extreme, Core 2 Duo and Pentium CPUs as well as next generation 45nm Multi-Core CPUs. It features superior overclocking performance with reduced power demands and native DDR2 800 support for up to 8GB or memory with dual channel providing increased performance. 100% all high-quality conductive polymer capacitors give longer life and higher energy efficiency by supplying power to vital components independently.

The onboard NVIDIA nForce 750 SLI is the foundation for many of the gaming PC's and the SLI technology lets you combine the power of dual SLI-enabled graphic cards. The bundled Q-Connector kit makes it easy to connect the case's front I/O panel to the motherboard. Eight channels of HD sound complement the video display for a true movie-going experience.

Four 3Gb/s SATA controllers offer multiple possible RAID configurations for extra security and high-speed performance. Eight USB 2.0 connectors plus a FireWire port give you excellent flexibility in attaching peripherals."

Asus P5N-D
Q6600 @ 1600mhz fsb for 3.6ghz
8GB G.Skill DDR2 @ 1066mhz
BFG GTX 260 oc'd
4 SATA IIs in RAID 0
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

P.S. I've never had anything but the usual little troubles with this motherboard, despite the negative reviews.
!