Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What will Intel & AMD release in the following year?

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2010 2:28:48 AM

Hello Experts!

This is my first post here, I'll be building a new rig in a month or two and so I've got a ton of questions on just about everything, and who better than the knowledgeable folks at Tom's Hardware to ask?

My first question is...

What is on the drawing board at AMD and Intel when it comes to high end processors & motherboards?

My intention right now is to go i7 like a lot of you, but I'm concerned that something better (and by better I mean either more powerful or better value) might come out in the near future and so I could save a lot of money or get something faster if I wait a bit longer.

... Some of you might give the answer "get what you can afford now", but I know about the decaying nature of computer value with time, my question is simply about what's being planned.

Thanks in advance!
Tom

More about : intel amd release year

April 19, 2010 3:24:37 AM

If you have the money then go for the i7 975, that will keep you going for a long while and even if new products do come out the 975 will still be up there with them.I doubt intel will be bringing out anything new for atleast another year as they've only just released a new i7. If money is a problem still go for the i7 but just a lower end one such as the 920.

Hope i helped
m
l
April 19, 2010 3:39:27 AM

jagjourdan said:
If you have the money then go for the i7 975, that will keep you going for a long while and even if new products do come out the 975 will still be up there with them.I doubt intel will be bringing out anything new for atleast another year as they've only just released a new i7. If money is a problem still go for the i7 but just a lower end one such as the 920.

Hope i helped

What an idiot, an i7 920 will overclock just as good as a 975, and cost $100s less. And if you got $970 to drop on a CPU you might as well drop $200 more for a 980x.

@ OP

If you want max performance get Intel i7, if you want max price/performance, get an AMD, they will have a $200 6 core out anytime.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 19, 2010 3:49:45 AM

April 26th is the date usually thrown out for the 6core chips. Prices will probably be higher then $200 however. The 920/750 will probably be better values.

That should be it CPU wise for AMD this year. Intel might roll out some more CPUs with the GPU on package. I don't think Intel has anything else coming out for this year. We don't get AMDs CPUs with integrated GPU until next year at the earliest. No news yet if it will be on package or in the die itself. Look up bulldozer rumors if you want to know more.

Now is a pretty safe time to buy. Nothing new coming.
April 23, 2010 4:41:03 AM

Best answer selected by tom thumb.
m
l
!