Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Speakers
  • Computers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 26, 2010 7:02:47 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of building my first computer, and would like to be able to share the speakers I already have (Logitech Z-5500) with it and my older computer. I've looked into KVM switches with audio, but haven't come across any reasonable solution that will allow me to use my wireless keyboard/mouse as well. So, I'm thinking of going with separate kb/mouse, but that still leaves the speakers.

So, my questions is this - can I continue to use the RCA ports for my old computer, as I am doing now, and connect the new one using digital coaxial or optical/spdif? (The speakers and my new mobo both seem to have the digital coax/spdif capability.) Also, which of the two - coaxial vs optical - is better for sound?

Thanks for your help!

AJ

More about : set speakers computers

June 27, 2010 1:09:33 PM

The setup should work fine as long as you use only one computer at a time. And optical is always better than coax (or wired) - the difference may be marginal, but optical is better suited to handle interference.

Should you decide on another set of speakers, go for the Bose Companion II - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 27, 2010 7:36:01 PM

overpriced, sound is not even fantastic..
m
l
Related resources
!