Considering selling my coimputer, thoughts on price?

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I don't know if this is the right forum, but I'm considering selling my gaming computer, which I built last February. I wanted to get ideas on price, and see if it would be worth it or not...

-Intel Core i7 920 Bloomfield BX80601920 OC'ed to 3.6 Ghz
-6 GB OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 Mhz
-EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX MoBo
-XFX GX285NZDFF GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 Video Card
-ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels PCI Express Sound Card
-PC Power&Cooling 750W PSU
-WD Caviar Black 7200RPM 750GB HDD
-Cooler Master Centurion 590 Case
-5 Scythe S-Flex-E Fans, 1 CM fan (2 Scythes on TRUE cooler)
-LG Blu-Ray/DVD-RW driver
-Windows Vista 64x (yeah, it sucks, need to upgrade)

So, been using this for a little over a year now, don't use it for games too much anymore, and a laptop is enough for grad school, won't get much more time to play games, so figure I should sell it soon...any help is appreciated, thanks!

4745454b

Titan
It will ultimately depend on how much the sucker, errr, buyer is willing to pay. If you find a sucker with lots of money and doesn't know about computers you'll get more.

Using prices I see in the Hardocp FS/FT forum I get just north of $1000 for that system. (1200-1400 depending on what you count.) Asking for $1500 shipped on such a forum shouldn't get you laughed at.

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I'd be pretty happy to get $1200 or so for it. After one year's use, I imagined price would drop drastically (~$1700 in parts last year), but as you said, I figure someone who doesn't know how to build a computer/doesn't want to learn, would be willing to essentially pay for the parts...

FWIW, computer runs perfectly, temps are in the 30s idle, high 60s/low 70s on Burn test, perfectly stable. Thanks for the help, btw!

4745454b

Titan
The parts haven't really dropped. The 920 is still one of the fastest CPUs out there. The GTX280 still ties the performance of the $300 5850, at least when you compare the performance only. 750W PCP&C is still good. 6GBs tri channel ram hasn't really be passed either. Even on the used forums you should be able to get around $1200. You might have to part it out if you can't find a buyer.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008

Oh, I don't know, you may have lots of time to play video games when you are done with grad school and can't get a job.....

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

lol, very true for many careers, but it's med school, hopefully my job will be in demand in a few years...

as far as parting it out, if i don't have original boxes or anything, how much is that going to matter...can i just bubble wrap, or will that drive the price even further down...

if i sold it whole, i could pretty much send everything built except for the cooler...

If you don't have the packaging to part it out then it's probably best to sell it whole. If you want to sell it on eBay, assuming you have a decent eBay reputation, you should price the individual components and set a reserve price for 80% of that total. If you wanted to do a "Buy it Now" then you could ad perhaps an $80 build charge to the total price of components and probably find someone to buy it. Of course, it may go faster if you just have a bid. Make sure to package it well and send it by FedEx (not UPS!!).

You could also try to sell locally on craigs list, but that just depends on your area. If you're lucky, you can get someone to buy it for what the parts are currently worth and maybe have a build charge,.... maybe.

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Gotcha, yeah, I think I'd be more comfortable with Craigslist anyway...as a seller, I've been burned on ebay before, paypal was terrible to deal with...if I can do cashier's check or cash, that'd be easier...

Hopefully I can sell it relatively quickly and as a whole...thanks for the advice! If I do have to ship it, I'll go FedEx, but does anyone know where to get a proper shipping box?

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Ah, thanks for the advice...I figured cashier's check is okay, but I suppose they could put a stop payment on the check immediately...yeah, I guess locally I'll have to do cash...