Sign in with
Your question

Amd Phenom II X6 1090T BE

Last response: in CPUs
June 26, 2010 9:40:14 PM

I was wondering if my cpu would be stable with all cores running turbo boost? I know it will produce more heat because of the frequency increase and voltage. I have a Gigabyte 890GX board. Thx you.

More about : amd phenom 1090t

a b à CPUs
June 26, 2010 9:42:48 PM

Why not just change the multiplier and get a nice overclock? That is relatively safe as long as you are careful about what you are doing and test the overclock thoroughly. Tom's forum here has several guides that will walk you through the steps you need to take in order to overclock, as well as the many pitfalls to avoid.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
June 26, 2010 10:04:09 PM

I am not positive, but I don't think you can operate all 6 cores simultaneously at constant turbo boost. I have the very CPU you are referring to and I don't think it is possible. Houndsteeth is right, you are better off finding a stable OC speed and then letting the CPU manage the boost as you load it with apps. Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2010 8:01:19 AM

Doesn't that 6core have a max 18.5 multiplier ?.... limiting what you can get. Why would they do that.....
m
l
June 27, 2010 10:50:56 PM

Thankyou. No just wondering if I can unlock some more performance without ocing. The cpu is plenty fast right now, and I don't see a point in ocing unless I had another 5850 in crossfire because of the Cpu bottleneck. I know the cpu will always be a bottleneck for video cards, but I'm happy with my current setup. I use Intelburnin Test to test out my overclocks, and HW monitor and Everest to monitor temps.

Thx, Steve.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 12:00:31 AM

It seems I read turboboost is only active when 3 or fewer cores are active, once that 4th core kicks in turboboost deactivates.
It comes to memory that tomshardware did a article showing the performance benefits of clock rate on this chip and the resulting turbo gains.
The performance benefit appeared to peak at a clock speed of 3.5ghz with some arguement that 3.4 might be better based on application specifics.
m
l
!