Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Too much memory?

Last response: in Memory
a b } Memory
December 30, 2010 1:31:08 AM

I was just looking at some high end mobo's and i couldn't help think to myself...why would you need so much?Some of the high end mobos maximum capicity is around 54gbs of ram.

I don't even see a need for more than 8g...

Isn't their some king of thershold you would reach that you wouldn't/can't notice a difference between 10g and 50g of ram?

More about : memory

December 30, 2010 1:40:30 AM

Maybe tons of ram for a workstation would be good but I do see your point for enthusiast board to have all that ram for gaming and what not.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 30, 2010 1:44:51 AM

Don't you reach some sort of threshold for how much memory will actually make a difference?
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2010 2:29:50 AM

damn lol with 54gb of ram you could edit a hole movie with out saving it while you are editing lol
and ya i think that after like 6gb for gaming there is not much difference and i have never used over 8 so i cant say beyond that lol
m
l
a b } Memory
December 30, 2010 7:20:26 AM

purple stank said:

Isn't their some king of thershold you would reach that you wouldn't/can't notice a difference between 10g and 50g of ram?

Actually, for most people, the threshold is around 8 GB.

But when you are talking truly "high-end", you are talking "professional". And the rules change. Time is truly money. Professional level editing of graphics images (Photoshop), video editing and rendering: the few seconds that you wait on your system adds up.
m
l
December 30, 2010 11:35:47 AM

purple stank said:
I barely use all the 6GB that I have loaded into my system. Albeit I do not use too many memory intensive apps, but what little V/A editing I have done, have yet to see the 6GB be an issue.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 30, 2010 7:27:10 PM

Their not very "clean" or they are great multitaskers.I helped someone a couple weeks ago that was looking for a new GPU,he said he used like 8G and he does lots of editing or somewhat.Basicly he leaves a bunch of windows open at one time and hes just boucing around from place to place.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
December 30, 2010 7:32:29 PM

CAD, Video Editing, Rendering, Hi Definition Graphics (i.e. Adobe anything), large database manipulation all like large amounts of RAM
a b } Memory
January 5, 2011 11:43:33 PM

Best answer selected by purple stank.
m
l
!