Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Old hardware on new MOBO

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2010 9:29:20 AM

Hello,
I have an old P4 3.0Ghz that has a IDE hard drive and 2 IDE DVD writers. The new build I have has an M4A785TD-V EVO MOBO that has 1 PATA socket that says it will handle up to 2 drives. Can I run the HD and 1 DVD-RW on it or should I get an SATA HD and put both DVD-RWs on it, and will that work?

More about : hardware mobo

April 19, 2010 9:32:56 AM

It WILL work, initially (opticals on EIDE/PATA) but at $22 for a new SATA burner, why invite the hassle of early demise?

If you DO decide to do that, DEFInaTELY GO to your drive site and flash the latest firmware upgrade ... takes about a minute ... very easy ... like an Adobe update.

= Alvin =
m
l
April 19, 2010 9:35:08 AM

You should be able to run both on that port.
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2010 9:40:52 AM

You will need to set one as master (2 drives present) and the older one as slave (2 drives present).

I would ditch anything that is over two years old ...

... Get a PATA>>USB external enclosure and use the old HDDs for backups ...
.... If you only plug the old drives in, for backups only, you can use them for years.

... ~ $30

= Al =

PS : A super fast Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 7200RPM drive costs only $55

m
l
April 19, 2010 12:57:48 PM

You don't really need two burners. Like Alvin suggested, dump the two IDE opticals and replace them with one SATA burner.

My first two choices are Samsung and LG.
m
l
April 19, 2010 12:58:02 PM

You don't really need two burners. Like Alvin suggested, dump the two IDE opticals and replace them with one SATA burner.

My first two choices are Samsung and LG.
m
l
April 19, 2010 7:19:12 PM

Both a HDD and DVD drive will work on the same PATA port as told. However, you will find that the system may have slowed down becasue the speed of the HDD will be limited to the speed of the DVD drive and vice versa. I would suggest you replace either the HDD or optical, or both.
m
l

Best solution

April 19, 2010 7:34:39 PM

Like I said ... and humbly ... Relegate those older drives (even the opticals) to cheap, external, USB2.0 enclosures. They will be portable and more flexible and, most of the time, they will not be powered-on ... and, so, will last a long time ... If you ever need an extra burner, for batch-burns, you can hook one up ... same w/the HDDs ... USB ... in a drawer ... OR ...load all your family media onto the old HDD, and send it to a family member for "off-site archives".

... There are even ULTRA-CHEAP EIDE>USB adapter cables, so you won't have to pay for the actual enclosure and can swap devices quickly ... (that make sense?).

... Leave the older parts out of your build ... you got your money's-worth already.

= Alvin =
April 19, 2010 7:54:00 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I have a new build I7-920 w/2 PATA DVD-RWs. I can take one of those and replace it with an EIDE from the old PC, and put a new PATA HD in the new AMD build to load Win 7.
m
l
April 29, 2010 11:07:44 PM

Best answer selected by larrys640.
m
l
April 29, 2010 11:12:43 PM

I ended up with ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO and the Athalon II 630. I used 4Gig of GSkill DDR3 RAM, a 500 Gb WD Green HDD, and mixed 1 EIDE DVD-RW with a PATA DVD-RW. Win 7 Home loaded fine and I am planning on getting it into action after I get well from this head cold. Thanks for all the input wisdom from those more experienced. larrys640
m
l
!