ASUS P7P55D-E PRO, change AHCI to RAID

Tags:
  • Asus
  • NAS / RAID
  • Controller
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
December 30, 2010 1:40:54 AM

Windows 7 x64 install, using the Intel controller listed as PCH SATA AHCI Controller in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

I want to change my hard drive setup from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling everything. Any help on the correct way to do this would be appreciated.

This is what I tried so far and it didn't seem to work, It could not find a boot drive on reboot. I backed up my hard drive (Disk1) all three partitions, using Acronis Home 2011.

Then I installed both drives (two drives) and created one raid 0 array using RAID BIOS (not sure if I should of created three volumes or just the one). Then I restored the backed up image to the raid array. I restored all three partitions the system reserve, C drive and the D drive and I restored that MBR also (to the one RAID volume I created above). This completed successfully.

When I tried to reboot the system it said there was no boot device found. When I looked in BIOS it lists “Hard disk” as a boot item in the boot order list, but not the drive model number. If I look at the raid array in BIOS it says it’s fine but non boot at the very end (that is what it showed “Bootable NO”when I made it, I don’t see any way to set it).

If i look at the RAID disk with Acronis Disk director is shows three partitions the System Reserve is marked active, system, primary. Everything looks fine but the system just doesn’t see the drive to boot from it. So I created the array again deleting all the data and the restored the three partitions this time not restoring the master boot record thinking that may have been wrong. Same thing system did not find a boot drive.

May I don’t need the system reserve partition and just mark the Windows 7 partition as active what do you think.
So if anyone has done something like this before can you tell me what steps you took.

More about : asus p7p55d pro change ahci raid

December 30, 2010 11:12:46 AM

I have the same issue. I have an Intel DP55KG board and I changed the BIOS to AHCI from IDE to install a new OS and under SATA the drives are there but under boot devices they are not and when I try and boot the machine it simply states " No boot device "
m
l
December 30, 2010 6:40:25 PM

OK

Here is the deal.
If anybody can prove me wrong please do.

ASUS P7P55D-E PRO or most likely any P55 Intel RAID controller motherboard will be this way.
It seems the Intel RAID controller will not let you boot from a RAID 0 array. So if you setup a RAID 0 array you must have some other drive (non RAID 0) in the PC to boot from.

If you set that 2 driver array to RAID 1 it will boot just fine and show up in the BIOS as a boot drive.

I am not sure if this is the way all RAID 0's are but i think not.
If anybody has a RAID 0 boot drive setup on these ASUS motherboards please chime in.
If you know if a RAID 5 array will boot on this mother board please let me know before i go out and get another HD.

I wish i knew all this before i got this motherboard. So recap. Intel RAID controller not boot from RAID 0 , Marvell RAID 6Gb controller don't support RAID modes 0,1,5 or 10 and don't xfer much faster then the 3Gb controller. It is starting to look like the best controller on this board is the Jmicron which is a POS.
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2011 8:21:56 PM

Rainey said:
OK

Here is the deal.
If anybody can prove me wrong please do.

ASUS P7P55D-E PRO or most likely any P55 Intel RAID controller motherboard will be this way.
It seems the Intel RAID controller will not let you boot from a RAID 0 array. So if you setup a RAID 0 array you must have some other drive (non RAID 0) in the PC to boot from.

If you set that 2 driver array to RAID 1 it will boot just fine and show up in the BIOS as a boot drive.

I am not sure if this is the way all RAID 0's are but i think not.
If anybody has a RAID 0 boot drive setup on these ASUS motherboards please chime in.
If you know if a RAID 5 array will boot on this mother board please let me know before i go out and get another HD.

I wish i knew all this before i got this motherboard. So recap. Intel RAID controller not boot from RAID 0 , Marvell RAID 6Gb controller don't support RAID modes 0,1,5 or 10 and don't xfer much faster then the 3Gb controller. It is starting to look like the best controller on this board is the Jmicron which is a POS.

Hi Rainey

I stumbled across this post looking for something else... I do not know if you got the answers you were looking for, but here goes..

It is certainly possible to boot from a RAID 0 volume. I use the P7P55D-E and set up two disks in a RAID 0 config on the Intel controller. However, this I did before installing Windows 7 (Home Premium). I did not have to load RAID drivers - Windows picked it up straight away and I did not have the slightest problem installing the operating system or booting from it.

I notice other threads which give the impression that trying to do it after installing Windows seems to provide some chalenges. Hope you come right !
m
l
March 6, 2011 12:07:45 PM

Pierre

Thank for the reply.

If you got this to work on a P7P55D-E board (assuming it is the same controller) then you must of had a second hard drive in that PC when you loaded the OS. (or left some free space, see below)

In my PC when i used BIOS to setup the Hard drives into an Raid 0 array it stated the drive was non bootable and the drive was not seen at boot time by the PC to boot from. There was no way to change the bootable setting in the BIOS.

Now i did not try it but maybe if you left some free space on the drive when setting up the raid 0 array windows could install its system partition and then maybe the drive shows up once it is there outside of the array space. I did not try this i never did a fresh install. I did restore a backup image both system and data partitions to the raid array but it still was not seen during boot time. I guess the system partition should of been outside of the non bootable array on that drive if possible.

My drives are loaded with data and things are working good. In a year or two when a reinstall is in order i will try this again maybe.

Rainey
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2011 1:54:15 PM

Rainey:

Good news and bad news. The good news is that, as of Win 7, this can be done simply with a change to one thing. I think that it's a service.

The bad news is that A) I don't remember where I saw the solution in these Forums, although I can narrow it down to the Storage section. Boot issues usually end up in the Storage second for some reason. And B), I'm too lazy to search these myself for the solution. So I'd suggest searching that part of the forums. I've seen some threads in the last month with successful resolutions. But IDe - to AHCI is more common than AHCI-to-RAID.

If I get un-lazy, I'll edit this post with a more precise link.

Edit:
This thread disagrees with me: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264915-32-ahci-mode-r...

Win7 is very good at allowing you to repair changed-mode installations. You can try booting from the Win7 DVD and choosing to do a Repair. Make sure that the only drive in the system is your RAID pair.

This is a good guide to the topic: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/196922-32-switching-s.... It was written in the XP era, but most of the information is still relevant as background. See Trajan's post, which seems to align with my suggestion above.
m
l
!