Sign in with
Your question

My ideal gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2010 9:51:46 AM

Hi all,

after stalking thru the forums and the reviews, i have got a general idea of how my rig is gonna be but still torn between several options. as im based in Singapore, the prices are slightly different but i will try to convert to US$, my budget is ard $1.8k

CPU:
Intel Core i7 930 2.8Ghz

Mobo:
Asus Rampage II Extreme
or
Asus P6X58D Premium

RAM:
Team Elite DDR3 1600MHz 6GB

HDD:
WD Velociraptor 150GB (for OS)
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

GPU:
Asus AS EAH5870 1GB

PSU:
Cooler Master GX750W

DVD Drive:
LG 22X DVD-RW SATA

Casing:
Cooler Master HAF932
or
Cooler Master Storm Sniper

Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit

The above with the Rampage II Extreme mobo and the HAF932 casing amounts to about 2.5k Singapore dollars, which came up to be about 1.8K. The prob is i am torn between the rampage II extreme mobo and the P6X58D Premium, and the HAF932 and the storm sniper. the price difference is about 50 bucks for the mobo and 15 bucks for the casing.
im considered a casual gamer who likes to play almost any new games and my MBP is finally dying on me, im also quite anal bout my graphics preferring to play on high settings for every game.
i was also wondering if my PSU would be enuff for 2 5870 on crossfire and hw hot my rig would get, assuming if im not getting any addition coolers.

Need some help in trying to decide on the rig.

PS: i will prob be getting another 5870 a few mths after the rig once my wallet loosens up, and i onli do minimal OC'ing on my rigs

More about : ideal gaming rig

April 19, 2010 10:33:04 AM

^ Stock or minimal increase speeds ? then even the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R would do...
So the P6X58D would get my vote...You can also check out the Gigabyte X58A-UD5

CASE - Check out the HAF 922 also...It is as big as the Sniper and costs very less...

HDD - Rather than the raptor, get a SSD for OS and apps...

PSU - A Corsair would be a better option...though the CM is good, but Corsair is better - Corsair 750TX

The above setup with any of the cases wont have any heat issues...and the Corsair 750TX can easily handle 2x HD 5870s with an overclocked CPU....
m
l
April 19, 2010 11:24:37 AM

thx for ur advice.
the SSDs over here are quite ex right nw, an Intel 40GB SSD costs bout the same as the 150GB velociraptor and im quite sure i wouldnt be able to fit too much games inside. and an 80GB costs like double so kinda out of my budget.
same goes for the corsair. it costs like 60 bucks more than the CM, but im nt so sure bout hw much better is the corsair.

assuming if i were to OC my cpu, lets say frm de stock 2.8ghz to bout a i7 975 speed, would the coolers still be able to take it or would i need to install an aftermarket cooler?

gg to check out the HAF 922 in the mean time. thx
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2010 11:47:44 AM

^ Hmm...but still IMO the Raptors are not worth it...the newer HDDs like the Samsung F3 are as fast...I would rather suggest you to skip the raptor and get a SSD later on as an upgrade...

As for the PSU, if there is such a huge price difference, then its fine that you stick with the CM GX 750...

3.33GHz with stock is fine, but the temps will be on the higher side...if you want to overclock above 3GHz, then it is always better to get an aftermarket cooler...and it will allow even for 3.6-3.8GHz, which is the sweet spot for the i7 performance/ power...
And I think the 975 comes with a different cooler...

And HAF 922 is still a good option if you look to save money without much compromise in size and performance...
m
l
April 19, 2010 11:51:05 AM

pikapikoo said:
thx for ur advice.
the SSDs over here are quite ex right nw, an Intel 40GB SSD costs bout the same as the 150GB velociraptor and im quite sure i wouldnt be able to fit too much games inside. and an 80GB costs like double so kinda out of my budget.
same goes for the corsair. it costs like 60 bucks more than the CM, but im nt so sure bout hw much better is the corsair.

assuming if i were to OC my cpu, lets say frm de stock 2.8ghz to bout a i7 975 speed, would the coolers still be able to take it or would i need to install an aftermarket cooler?

gg to check out the HAF 922 in the mean time. thx

Corsair PSU's are safer, provide more stable power, protect your components better and will last longer, that's why they cost more. If Corsair is that expensive, have a look at Antec. They're as good, but a little bit cheaper.
m
l
April 19, 2010 11:57:50 AM

hm...antec huh. nvr used it b4, going to find some reviews on it.
was looking at de HAF 922 n comparing it against the HAF 932. was wondering if i were to install a Cooler Master V10 Cooling fan would it be able to fit?

Cheers

edit: prob nt a V10, prob a hyper 212 or a xigmatek dark knight
m
l
April 19, 2010 12:08:09 PM

^ The HAF 922 is just shorter than the 932...there is not much difference in the width or the length...So the V10 will fit the HAF 922...
Like I said it just namesake a Midtower, but actually offers more space than some Full Towers out there...
And yes even the Antec is a good option...but the CM GX series are not bad either...but you do have better options though...
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18446/40/
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/917/10
m
l
April 19, 2010 12:46:39 PM

hm...here is the new updated rig.

CPU:
Intel Core i7 930 2.8Ghz

Mobo:
Asus Rampage II Extreme

RAM:

HDD:
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

GPU:
Asus AS EAH5870 1GB

PSU:
Corsair HX750
or
Corsair TX850

DVD Drive:
LG 22X DVD-RW SATA

Casing:
Cooler Master HAF932

Cooler:
ThermalRight Ultra 120

Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit

Options for Upgrade in the future
SSD Drives
2nd ATI Radeon 5870 for Crossfire :D 

If i remove the Velociraptor, i could get the Corsair PSU, except tt the HX750 and the TX850 is onli a few bucks difference.
and i could get a Thermalright ultra 120 extreme and still be within the budget.
So hw does it looks nw?

edit: if im gg to OC my cpu would i really need de ASUS Rampage II Extreme or will de Asus P6X58D Premium be fine too? im torn between getting the Rampage II extreme or a SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 mobo. wif the price diff i prob could get a Corsair H50 cooler instead of the thermal right. or if i forgo a cooler, get the P6x58D, a CM PSU and a HAF922, i prob could get a OCZ 60GB SSD instead.
m
l
April 19, 2010 1:00:06 PM

^ Good but why do you still need the Rampage Extreme ? IMO its not worth it if you will not be overclocking extreme...You pay a good price premium for the Rampage name thats all...
Like I said get the UD5 or P6X58D...even these can overclock the CPU to 4GHz with an aftermarket CPU cooler...
And instead of the TRUE, get the Dark Knight...It will be cheaper and will offer nearly as good performance...
m
l
April 19, 2010 1:21:17 PM

hm. true true. was rather attached to the idea of a Rampage.
so a P6X58D and a Dark Knight, i would still haf like 100 bucks to play around wif. sounds kinda nice. so finalized build.

CPU:
Intel Core i7 930 2.8Ghz

Mobo:
Asus P6X58D

RAM:

HDD:
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

GPU:
Asus AS EAH5870 1GB

PSU:
Corsair TX850

DVD Drive:
LG 22X DVD-RW SATA

Casing:
Cooler Master HAF932

Cooler:
Xigmatek Dark Knight

Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit

Options for Upgrade in the future
SSD Drives
2nd ATI Radeon 5870 for Crossfire :D 

decided to stick wif the 932 for the extra cooling capabilities, rather afraid of overheating. 2k gone up in smoke in an instant.
prob another 1TB HDD wif de 100 bucks.
m
l
April 20, 2010 4:18:41 AM

^ Good build...Good Luck building it...
m
l
!