New computer, blank HD, wont install windows?

qwertyu8

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Got a win xp cd, put it in my computer that i just got that has a blank hard drive. and when it runs it shows a blank screen that says, "press any key to boot from cd" and shortly after that it will have more text bellow that that say, "disk read error". what the hell? am i doing something wrong? i have tried xp, win7, win vista, and a flash drive that actually got to the windows install screen and i could get to the install screen but it says there is nothing to install from? even though my flash drive loaded up the win7 install. i dont know.

specs:
motherboard: asus p9x79 pro
cpu: 3930k
graphics: gtx 560ti
hard drive: wd 160gb (cleaned with nothing on it)
750watt corsair
dvd burner drive

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Understand that windows xp has crap for sata drivers. Most likely it is erroring becuse it's loading the wrong sata controller driver and it's failing to read the hard drive and cd rom properly. You'll need to find a floppy disk and use the f6 method to load the proper driver. OR download nlite use the program to copy the xp cd and during the copy it gives you the option to add drivers. Go to driverpack.net and download their chipset and sata driver packs and use nlite to add a those driver packs to your xp cd. now when you run the newly burned and modified xp cd you will have error free install plus you'll have less drivers you will have to hunt down.

qwertyu8

Honorable
May 26, 2012

thanks, ill try that and get back to you and tell you if it worked. unfortunately im using a mac so im gonna have to drive to my sisters house to use a windows computer to do this. stupid mac...

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
one more thing you can sometimes set the the HDD to run in IDE mode which will use a different driver and xp can then install but that doesn't usually work anymore with these newer mobo. That setting can be found in the bios.