Intel vs. AMD - x86 license?

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Ok I know i'm a little late with question but I read that some time last year Intel threatened to revoke AMD's x86 license due to a breach of contract, and I also understand that Intel is licensed to use AMD's x86-64 technology at the same time. So my question is, what was the outcome of that particular dispute? Was it revoked? What happened after the "60 days" and why?

Thanx to all in Advance :D

Never heard of this news. But if it were revoked, AMD would no longer be producing and selling x86 CPUs. And Intel would have had to halt their entire lineup and start designing x86-32 CPUs for the market since AMD likely would have revoked the x86-64 license from them.
However, I find this odd as it does not make sense to me that such a license could simply be revoked. I was under the impression that they were legal contracts set out for a specific amount of time.

AMD and Intel Announce Settlement of All Antitrust and IP Disputes

SUNNYVALE/SANTA CLARA, Calif. --11/12/2009

Intel Corporation and Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) today announced a comprehensive agreement to end all outstanding legal disputes between the companies, including antitrust litigation and patent cross license disputes.

In a joint statement the two companies commented, "While the relationship between the two companies has been difficult in the past, this agreement ends the legal disputes and enables the companies to focus all of our efforts on product innovation and development."

Under terms of the agreement, AMD and Intel obtain patent rights from a new 5-year cross license agreement, Intel and AMD will give up any claims of breach from the previous license agreement, and Intel will pay AMD $1.25 billion. Intel has also agreed to abide by a set of business practice provisions. As a result, AMD will drop all pending litigation including the case in U.S. District Court in Delaware and two cases pending in Japan. AMD will also withdraw all of its regulatory complaints worldwide. The agreement will be made public in filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

i don't think they really considered revoking the licenses (as they are contracts between them), i think it was just speculation and what if (ie what would happen to the cpu market if this did happen)

though as JDFan posted, i would be dropped now anyways, and they both have a 5 year cross licenses agreement

though this likely won't happen due to the fact that each company needs each others license to continue making processors right now (although intel could use IA-64)