Sign in with
Your question

Which CPU should I switch to? 'i' series

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 27, 2010 3:44:59 AM

Ok, I currently have an i5-750 running overclocked to 3.2GHz. Don't get me wrong it's incredibly fast, cool, and stable I just really want a little extra speed for my applications, and slightly less power consumption. I game on occasion and have a 5770 and run 1920x1080 resolution but a dual core will serve my purposes adequately.

At first I was looking twards a 661 but then they came out with the 655K and that caught my eye. So should I buy one of these or should I wait and see what all the 1155 and 1356 business turns out to be?

More about : cpu switch series

a c 131 à CPUs
June 27, 2010 5:17:34 AM

If you want your "applications" to run faster, it is very unlikely that increasing the CPU power (especially at the expense of cores in this day and age) will increase said applications speed. I can help you determine what will make your system faster but I need from you:
-Your complete system specs
-What applications? What specifically about them do you want to speed up?

In case I can't respond soon, here's a basic outline:
-RAM- 4GB at least for most applications. Intensive 6GB.
-Hard drive: application load times slow? consider a solid state drive then.
-Gaming slow? Get a better graphics card.
m
l
June 27, 2010 5:20:08 AM

A component that is often neglected in the search for speed is the System Drive...Do you have a HDD? Or HDD'a in a RAID setup? I have moved to SSD's on all my machines for the boot drive and sawe a dramatic increase in preformance....even on my celery (celeron) NAS.
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2010 6:21:28 AM

i personally absolutely love my i7 930
m
l
June 27, 2010 6:33:50 AM

Why do you want to upgrade?
You can run all the latest games on hi res with that setup... And it aint worth chainging.
You my friend, have a powreful setup(for now) and i wouldnt upgrade anything for now.
If you need to for some reason, then maybe try AMD, for you have an ATI GPU, so you are no fanboy(I think). But i must agree with Enzo, you could try a SSD and up ur RAM...
m
l
June 27, 2010 10:29:17 PM

I'm thinking most of my reason for wanting to change is as I'm sure most of you could agree is tinkeritis :p  . I think maybe most of you are right, I should do a solid state first before anything else. However I was hoping to wait a little while longer and and purchase an SSD when they start really taking advantage of SATA III.

As for the rest of my system specs I have a 500GB caviar black HDD, ASUS P7P55D full ATX motherboard, 4GB G.skill Ripjaws (at 1600MHz), and am running Windows 7.

And there will be absolutely no AMD here :kaola:  , mostly because I have a strong dislike for those 'AMD fanboys' that do nothing but say AMD is better and give little to no explanation as to why and go to newegg and create false reviews on intel processors.
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
June 27, 2010 10:39:35 PM

Moving to AMD means a platform change which you definitely not require (especially being on an i5 750 setup).. People are wise enough to understand that.. Now going to a dual core will not speed up your apps any faster.. It'll mostly be downgrading.. You've an impressive setup so stick with it..
m
l
June 27, 2010 10:57:32 PM

I love my 860 !! try more ram 8GB or more !! are you running a 7200 rpm drive?? if so then go 10,000 WD !
m
l
a c 309 à CPUs
June 27, 2010 11:50:49 PM

mushroomking said:
Ok, I currently have an i5-750 running overclocked to 3.2GHz. Don't get me wrong it's incredibly fast, cool, and stable I just really want a little extra speed for my applications, and slightly less power consumption. I game on occasion and have a 5770 and run 1920x1080 resolution but a dual core will serve my purposes adequately.

At first I was looking twards a 661 but then they came out with the 655K and that caught my eye. So should I buy one of these or should I wait and see what all the 1155 and 1356 business turns out to be?

If you have a single threaded app, then a strong duo will serve you well. Consider the i5-650. The 650, 660, 661, 655K, 670, 680 are essentially the same chip using 32nm technology. If you are willing to overclock, they all should be able to reach about the same maximum-- depending on luck of the binning---. The 6xx series is favored over 5xx series because they have turbo boost which helps single thread apps.

Beginning next year, we will see sandy bridge, a 32nm technology with some architectual changes and 4 core chips. It is not clear if the architecture changes will be a major performance boost per clock, or not. I guess not, but who knows? I think the value of sandy bridge will be for those users who want a 32nm quad.

If you have the itch now, scratch it. I do not think you will be disappointed. I think I would look at the 660. Since you have a discrete graphics card, there is no value to you of the higher performing integrated graphics of the 661. No need to get the higher power consumption either. The 655K is interesting, but it starts with a lower clock, and the unlocked multiplier does not seem to give any improvement in overclocking potential. It just makes overclocking simpler if you have less knowledge.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 3:16:30 AM

For a dual core, anything above the i3s is a complete waste of cash IMO. The 540 should have close to the same OC headroom on air as the i5 duals.

Unless you are using a single threaded CPU intensive app (and you conclude you need more CPU performance), stick with what you got, buy some good cooling, and OC it.

The power usage from an OCed CPU really isn't very high. The percentage of increase may sound high but the extra power $ cost will be very slim... 100w 24/7 for 365 days will cost ya about $80. Sounds like a lot but if you figure you use the PC on average 4 hours a day, the total is much lower. ($15ish). And mind you a CPU's w rating is under load.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2010 7:15:03 AM

Your current system is quite powerful.If you want faster application performance, then you are better off investing in a good SSD like others said
m
l
a c 309 à CPUs
June 28, 2010 1:45:36 PM

Are the applications cpu bound or I/O bound? Open the task manager performance tab while running them and see. Concentrate on upgrading the more limiting parts of your system.
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
June 28, 2010 3:31:09 PM

mushroomking said:
And there will be absolutely no AMD here :kaola:  , mostly because I have a strong dislike for those 'AMD fanboys' that do nothing but say AMD is better and give little to no explanation as to why and go to newegg and create false reviews on intel processors.

So do you have a non AMD 5770 then?
m
l
!