Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 to new motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
December 30, 2010 6:04:45 AM

My motherboard took a crap, had an msi-7501 with sb700 chipset for the southbridge. if I buy 890fx chipset will my raid 0 still work???

More about : raid motherboard

a c 156 V Motherboard
December 30, 2010 6:55:16 AM

Probably not. Most motherboard RAID controllers require identical chipsets which basically means identical motherboards.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2010 11:38:13 AM

If buying a new motherboard with a different chipset than your existing, then chances of Windows running well are pretty slim to begin with as Windows may have issues loading with the change in chipsets. Typically a new motherboard and chipset requires a fresh install.

m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2010 1:42:46 PM

f resh install i do not care about, I just want to be able to get my data off of their, documents, mp3s etc before i wipe and redo the array
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2010 6:21:14 PM

tonyr1512 said:
f resh install i do not care about, I just want to be able to get my data off of their, documents, mp3s etc before i wipe and redo the array
Hmm, the mobo took a crap but the RAID is still connected with the data still on them. Ok, well, there are some options, 1) find a mobo with the same chipset, connected the array and copy your data off, 2) use a RAID recovery application to reconstruct the array and copy the data off, or 3) make an Ubuntu live CD, boot into Ubuntu off the CD and copy the data off. Regardless of which option, you must have a separate drive to copy the data to, do not attempt to copy the data you are trying to recover onto the same RAID array or partition on the array.
m
l
December 30, 2010 7:52:32 PM

Well number two and number three sound good. Soo what I plan to do is rma the old mobo out hopefully still under warranty and get it back get data off raid 0 to external hard drive, but just in case rma is not valid, what's a good raid reconstruction software or use ubuntu which software method is easier and will they let me offload data to an external harddrive
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 30, 2010 8:32:53 PM

Intel RAID can be moved, nVidia with the same chipset can be moved as well. There are no guarantees especially with different chipsets. I know Intel RAID, but not nVidia -- I suggest that you also post -> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=220

If the data is critical and your MOBO is EOL then eBAY the same MOBO.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2010 2:05:37 AM

tonyr1512 said:
Well number two and number three sound good. Soo what I plan to do is rma the old mobo out hopefully still under warranty and get it back get data off raid 0 to external hard drive, but just in case rma is not valid, what's a good raid reconstruction software or use ubuntu which software method is easier and will they let me offload data to an external harddrive
I've used RAIDReconstructor from Runtime when a RAID5 array took a dump and was able to recover a complete data set. Note that it is free to try (to determine if the app will be able to recover the data) but you have to buy the key to unlock full functionality. If you don't mind spending some money then I'd say it paid for itself just in the fact that it worked with no data loss.

Ubuntu is a good free option, I know it recognizes multiple file systems and the software RAID is robust. I can offer no insight to configuring the RAID to recover the array and data; never had to configure/recover a RAID array in linux. However, here's a link to a thread at the Ubuntu forums that seems a parallel situation to yours.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 31, 2010 2:42:44 AM

^That was from a dual boot, and a corrupted hal.dll which I would never fix that way.

But the RAID Reconstructor might work, and hopefully at $99 better NOT be a scam. It'll be easier for the OP to get a used MOBO. MSI 'might' have a replacement.
m
l
December 31, 2010 1:46:59 PM

well the mobo I bought the 890fx chipset was a biostar TA890FXE, it has the exaxct same raid controller, or I believe so I need your help to clarify. When downloading the raid driver for the k9a2gm msi mobo it says ATI SB7xx/SB8xx RAID Driver. When you compare it to the one off the biostar website the version of the driver is the same version 3.2.1540.24 for windows 7 64 bit. Do you think I'll be fine otherwise I better start RMAing my broken mobo asap.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 31, 2010 2:23:50 PM

New MOBO = Maybe vs Old MOBO = Defiantly ; if the data isn't important = New otherwise = Old RMA.
m
l
!