Gaming Workstation Setup?

BBoyJmE

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Hello,
I am in need of a new pc, no more excuses to get a gaming pc for my 3D modeling work, but heck, I still want to game. So, Can I get a Dual CPU socket MB with all the candy and a Quadro, and pop in a GTX480 in primary or secondary PCI-e slot [surely if a Dual Socket MB has support for 2x 16x PCI-e's] and when gaming, make the GTX 480 render the gaming app, and when in 3DS MAX or any CAD software, have the Quadro rendering that?

I want to hit 2 birds with 1 cannonball :) I have heard of a person who did have a Quadro and a Geforce, but he physically switched the cards everytime he wanted to play/work.

I really need to know, its either that or a GTX480 in my old rig [Q6600? will this bottlneck if its at 3.6GHZ?] I just find that ALT a waste since i have a very good 8800GTX SLi system.

Thanks in Advance!

BBoyJmE

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks I sure will check on that on my spare time, Darn uni projects. As for budget, IF I can get a geforce to co-exist with a Quadro - 2.7-3k , else 2.5k.

Would you think buying a Quadro +Xeon system/workstation first, fork up a few bucks and get a GTX 480 SLI rig is a better solution to go?[ I will wait till the prices are right]

Another quick question, IF I am to physically swap the Quadro for the Geforce to game, would I need to install the drivers everytime? [ I'm sure I would need to =\]

Thanks guys, Ive been having PC problems for the last 3 months, all due to the instalation of the 191.01 drivers, it killed my 8800GTX a slow painfull death, and now the second survivor is overheating in some games, so I steped back from gaming...

Imo, if I was doing something like this, I would have 2 PCs. One for playing games and other for doing renderings.

Another quick question, IF I am to physically swap the Quadro for the Geforce to game, would I need to install the drivers everytime? [ I'm sure I would need to =\]
Probably will need to re-install.

Thanks guys, Ive been having PC problems for the last 3 months, all due to the instalation of the 191.01 drivers, it killed my 8800GTX a slow painfull death, and now the second survivor is overheating in some games, so I steped back from gaming...
You do realize there are new drivers out? Also, you can download EVGA Precision and change fan speed.

BBoyJmE

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks, yes of course ive downloaded all drivers from the 190's to the latest beta drivers of the time i was fideling with the system.

I will be sure to format and install all to the latest drivers - I hope that might stabalize my system now.

TY Again.