New build was working but now it does not?

dinosaur_attack

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Hi everyone,

I just built a new PC from scratch for the first time in a few year and I am experiencing some issues that I could really use some help with.

First My Build:

I5-750
GA-P55A-UD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB
Antec EarthWatts EA650
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
LITE-ON iHAS424-98

What happened:

I assembled everything and started it up no problem. Perhaps my first mistake was not changing any settings in the BIOS.

Put Win 7 DVD in booted it up. Installed without any issues.

Was working fine installing programs etc when I started to download a tonne of files from my old PC. All of a sudden the screen froze and nothing would respond including the reset button so I had to cut the power at the power supply.

I restarted and it started to boot fine, started going into windows and then fail again.

I restarted and now only a quick burst of power then off. I don't know exactly what I did but I probably disconnected a couple things and reconnected when I tried to restart it again but it came on for about one second and then powers off, did this a bunch of times. I began checking all my connections, disconnected pretty much everything and then reconnected.

Tried to restart and the internal speaker was going crazy (lots of quick beeps then pause then repeat).

Found that I had installed the memory wrong, both sticks were in the first channel. So I pulled out one stick and left the first one in. Tried to restart but got the same beeping. So then I tried one stick in the second slot and that got me started again but not for long. Even if I would go into the bios it would work for about 30 seconds and then freeze.

I have been going back and forth like this for hours. Try different sticks in different slots, sometimes it boots for a minute and then fails and sometimes I get crazy beeps. Seems it doesn't like the first slot thats for sure.

Lately I am good with one stick in the 2nd or 4th slot, I can get into the BIOS and change a setting or two or monitor the temps but within a minute it freezes.

I don't know if this means anything but at the exact moment that it freezes the CPU fan increases slightly in RPM's.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You're supposed to use the white RAM slots on your motherboard. Remember, your motherboard owners manual is your best friend when putting a system together. The motherboard owners manual will tell you what RAM slots to use.

Next time you're able to get into the BIOS you need to manually set your RAM values to their rated specs. The RAM is rated at 1600MHz with 7-8-7-24 timings at 1.65v. You may not have a RAM multiplier that will allow the RAM to run at 1600MHz without overclocking the CPU, but you should at least set the timings and voltage to the correct values. You should then run an overnight run of Memtest86+ to test for RAM errors.

dinosaur_attack

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
White slots are now being used, Timings changed to spec, voltage changed to 1.6 (1.65 option)

No change in the behavior.

I have noticed that the amount of time the PC runs for seems to be related to the amount of time it is off.

It was off for a while and I started it up and it ran for 3mins 45secs. If I restart right after the failure it would stay on for 45secs. I left it off for maybe 2mins and tried again and it lasted 1min 30secs.

When I am in the BIOS I am watching the speed and temp screen and nothing spikes, CPU stays right around 30degrees.

Unfortunately I do not have another board to test my gear, this is the first PC I have built in about 6 years so everything I have is old.

dinosaur_attack

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Well I took a break, came back to run memtest+ and now it won't POST at all. Starts up, everything is on, no beeps at all and then resets on its own. Starts again then resets again, over and over.

Removed all the ram, no beeps, disconnected power connectors and reconnect, same thing.

dinosaur_attack

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Ya I went through that thread without any luck. Yes I am attached with the standoffs.

I think I might just take it in and have the local shop figure it out. I don't have replacement parts here to verify if it is one thing or another....