Solved

Videocard or MoBo?

So my first new build WAS running great but now during my games the graphics are falling apart. Other than that the system still runs great. Maybe it's the refurbished 8800gt I purchased. During the time this happened it sounded like the fans were speeding and slowing as well as the CPU meter on my desktop. Any help would be appreciated. GB p55 ud3, i5 750, gskill ripjaws 4GB, TT 430 PSU, Nvidia 8800gt.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about videocard mobo
  1. what exactly do you mean falling apart, Do you mean bad fps or is it artifacting
  2. What I mean is areas of the game environment just disappear. Audio is there, and the game continues to run as if there were no problems, but large areas of the world around my character just disappear, as well as parts of the characters. When I restart, and load the same game, the problem is still there, when I load an older save, it runs fine with no problems. I am wondering if this is a problem with the MoBo, since I have only set it to run at the generic "optimized" setting. I know this board should be fine tuned, I'm just now learning how to do that. This only started a couple hours after I increased the graphics to a high setting, but the performance diminished so I returned the games graphics to the "recommended" settings. The problems never went away after that. I don't think that had anything to do with it though.
  3. "....When I restart, and load the same game, the problem is still there, when I load an older save, it runs fine with no problems......"
    I don't quite actually catch what are you trying to say..could the game itself has the bug?
  4. Forget that last post, as of 5 minutes ago all my games are having this problem all the time. And the fans are speeding and slowing as the game slowly fades. by fading I mean large portions of the graphics just disappear. The game continues to run, I just cannot see most of it, just areas of blank screen. When I close the games the fans return to normal rpm's.
  5. Best answer
    Is this your PSU?

Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply

If so, another possible cause of these issues is that POS PSU. That is one of the worst possible PSU's available. It doesn't have active PFC, only has 65% efficiency, and doesn't put out many Amps on the 12v rail. I don't know if it's causing this exact problem, but it's only a matter of time before it blows up. If you're lucky it won't take any other hardware with it when it does.
  6. Yep, just before I read your post I realized it was my power supply. I also had both power leads from the videocard plugged into the same line from the PSU. PLease excuse my terminology, I'm trying to learn it fast. It runs much better now but still draws more than the PSU can put out. Thanks for the help, I'll be ordering a new PSU right this minute. Any recommendations?

I only purchased the Thermaltake 430 because it is recommended for the i5 750 by newegg. I thought they were more dependable.
  7. What's your budget for the PSU? Here's a very nice PSU for a fair price:

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $74.99
  8. Budget does not concern me much, I just want a good unit. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try it out. And thanks for reaffirming my suspicions on the cause of all this before it was too late.
  9. No problem. Let us know how it works out.
  10. I have the PSU you recommended and it kicks ass. The system is much more stable now and the LED's no longer dim when I open windows LOL. The 8800gt was clearly starving for amps and it works far better than it ever did. I have more plugs for fans and a more efficient fan on the PSU. Replacing the Thermaltake has improved performance in the system as a whole. The case is much cooler now, especially when I play games. Maybe now I can get my hands on some settings for my MoBo and get it up to speed. Thanks again for the advise shortstuff and thanks to NEWEGG for the hassle free replacement of the old PSU.
  11. Best answer selected by rurpline.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build New Build Systems