Sign in with
Your question

USB connection to Motorola SB5101u modem keeps dropping

Last response: in Motherboards
December 30, 2010 11:55:31 AM

Hi

I have a problem with my Motorola SB5101u modem’s USB connection to my computer, it cuts out every 10 to 15 minutes or so. I have unplugged the modem and repaired the connection several times. The modem is not dropping the connection to the ISP because when my computer cuts out, my VOIP telephone connection is fine as is the ethernet connection to my wife’s computer which both run out of the same SB5101u. Therefore, it is a USB problem. My motherboard is a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H with F12a bios (the most recent version), AMD Athlon X2 5000+ BE with 6GB of ram, with XP SP3 running on a 320 GB Western Digital Harddrive. I only started having this problem after I messed around with a program called USBCV 1.3 (in a moment of stupidity), it asked me to chose some PCI stack or something, I then ran a couple tests. When I restarted my computer, my USB was gone, no mouse and no keyboard. I then tried to a repair install of XP SP3 but ended up with a new install instead. Therefore I restored the system from an earlier version Acronis backup. My guess is that the USB on my Gigabyte board is screwed up. Repair connection does not make any difference. Instead, I have to disable then enable the device through the Network Connections panel then it will work for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. Any suggestions on how to reset the USB so the connection will work properly would be appreciated.

Cheers,
a c 151 V Motherboard
December 30, 2010 6:08:37 PM

I would delete the USB drivers then reinstall them and see if that make any difference.
m
l
December 30, 2010 8:23:29 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately, I tried this a couple of times but it didn't solve the problem.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
m
l
Related resources
a c 151 V Motherboard
December 31, 2010 3:38:39 AM

Have you removed the program that you were messing with? Have you tried loading optimized defaults in the BIOS then setting it all up again? You could also try reseting the BIOS back to factory specs. Taking the battery out should do it. The manual should tell you how and how long to leave the battery out.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2010 5:03:36 AM

The first problem i see is that you aren't supposed to be using the USB *and* ethernet connections simultaneously on that modem. It's a "one or the other" situation with those modems. The USB is normally only used if you dont have an ethernet connection. Using both going to two different computers would cause some weird issues. I've seen someone do it on an ambit modem before, and whichever computer resolved a IP first got internet access, and the other got nothing. Was random. Not sure if that's your issue, but if you have two comps needing internet access, get a router and attach both through ethernet.
m
l
a c 151 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 1:15:06 AM

I looked up the cable modem and it is supposed to be able to handle 2 users, one thru USB and one thru the ethernet.

manual:
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/US-EN/Home-...

Here is the info plus charts:
http://broadband.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1...

Cabling for Multiple Users
The SURFboard cable modem supports several multiple user configurations. Along with an optional hub or router, it can serve as an Internet gateway for up to 63 computers.

Not all service providers support multiple user service. For information about multiple user service, contact your cable service provider.

Ethernet and USB
You can connect the USB port on one computer and the Ethernet port on another computer directly to the cable modem, as shown at top left.

You can take you modem to your local cable company and they will exchange the modem for you. Then you will be able to find out if it's a modem problem.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 3:34:14 AM

Why not just get a router?
m
l
January 1, 2011 1:55:58 PM

The USB and ethernet had work flawlessly until I messed it up with the USBCV testing software. I guess I will eventually have to get a router.
I reset the modem using 192.168.100.1. I switched to a backup harddisk with an installation that I had set up months ago, on which the USB connection had worked flawlessly before and I still got the same problem of the dropping connection. So it is something to do with my motherboard (though I have cleared the CMOS several times and also tried fail-safe and optimized settings). Maybe I fried the USB with the testing software.

spooky2th said:
I looked up the cable modem and it is supposed to be able to handle 2 users, one thru USB and one thru the ethernet.

manual:
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/US-EN/Home-...

Here is the info plus charts:
http://broadband.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1...

Cabling for Multiple Users
The SURFboard cable modem supports several multiple user configurations. Along with an optional hub or router, it can serve as an Internet gateway for up to 63 computers.

Not all service providers support multiple user service. For information about multiple user service, contact your cable service provider.

Ethernet and USB
You can connect the USB port on one computer and the Ethernet port on another computer directly to the cable modem, as shown at top left.

You can take you modem to your local cable company and they will exchange the modem for you. Then you will be able to find out if it's a modem problem.

m
l
a c 151 V Motherboard
January 1, 2011 6:53:36 PM

Try another modem all together. Your local cable company will swap it. I have the same cable modem and had to swap it out once. I've never tried the USB internet access though. The ethernet just died. Went to my cable company where I usually pay the bills and they just gave me a new one for the old one. And I was back on-line.
m
l
January 6, 2011 12:37:27 AM

Hi,

I finally identified the problem as a screwed up Windows XP update called "Software Distribution Service 3.0." I read of problems with internet connection drops after this installs. I tried a system restore but it failed. So I went into a folder "Windows/Software Distribution" and deleted ever file and folder that had been modified during and after the Software Distribution 3.0 update was installed. Right away my USB modem connection became totally stable (I ran it for 10 hours just to make sure and no drops).

Cheers,
Harryoo
m
l
!