Sign in with
Your question

All

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 27, 2010 5:51:24 AM

Hello,I'm wanting to know if a Dell Dimension 2400: will safely run with a 500 Watt Power Supply ? My Ge Force 8400GS video card needs 350 watts to work, I only have a 200 Watt power supply in it at this time. Have a 500 watt power supply I can put in, but don't want to blow anything up. I will also be putting in a Intel Pentium 4 - 3.2 Ghz processor in it.Already have 2 Gigs of memory bars installed. Can anyone tell me if it will work or will it burn/blow up ? Wanting to play games and the original set up just can't cut it. HELP PLEASE.

More about : question

a c 289 ) Power supply
June 27, 2010 6:04:14 AM

It will work fine. PSUs are rated on the amount of power that can be drawn from them, they are more like a well in that they make the power available if the components need it but the components only get as much power as they need, it doesnt push the extra power through them.
m
l
June 27, 2010 6:08:54 AM

hunter315 said:
It will work fine. PSUs are rated on the amount of power that can be drawn from them, they are more like a well in that they make the power available if the components need it but the components only get as much power as they need, it doesnt push the extra power through them.

Thanks I'm not a pro and didn't want to proceed to have it blow up in my face. Thanks Again ! :-)
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
June 27, 2010 3:36:14 PM

Agree with hunter315's comments - a bigger PSU is certainly required and will smoothen things, not hurt. Adding the correct type of DDR2 RAM will boost performance.
m
l
!