Sign in with
Your question

G Skill Sniper vs Ripjaws DDR3?

Last response: in Memory
December 30, 2010 12:36:06 PM

Any difference between these other than a different heat spreader design?

Looks like timing, voltage, speed, etc are all listed as the same. The Sniper says its "designed for 1156 and AMD" while the Ripjaws is also listed as compatible with a zillion mobos including those.

Does anyone know if the spreaders on the Sniper are lower profile than Ripjaws? Looks like they are flat across the top but there is no measurement in terms of height listed anywhere.

More about : skill sniper ripjaws ddr3

a c 347 } Memory
December 30, 2010 2:45:03 PM

I looked at (2) sets, my initial reaction 'feeling' is that they're the same IC's, but the chipset differences concerned me that perhaps they are NOT 100% the same IC's. But few people get LGA 775 RAM so it could be a simple omission by G.SKILL. I would prefer the Ripjaws primarily because the 'ridge' can cool the RAM better, on anything less than a 4X_GB high density and 1600 MHz+ speed it won't matter too much.

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.5v http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
G.SKILL -> http://gskill.com/products.php?index=337

Chipsets:
Intel P55
Intel H55
AMD 890 Series
AMD 790 Series

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.5v http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
G.SKILL -> http://gskill.com/products.php?index=233

Chipsets:
Intel P55
Intel H55
Intel P45
Intel P35

AMD 890 Series
AMD 790 Series
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2010 2:54:34 PM

Yes.....hard to know. Those were the 2 I was comparing.

Only reason I liked the Snipers is just in case I have any issues fitting the Ripjaws underneath a CM Hyper 212+

I have seen other posts that seemed to say that people did successfully fit the RJ underneath....that they're not "too tall"
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 30, 2010 3:17:48 PM

Yeah, I cannot imagine the CM Hyper 212+ being too short; unlike some Noctua with short pipes. Like I said it 'may' only be a issue if your running 1600 or faster RAM and with full density 4X_GB. 1600 4X4GB do get hot.
m
l
December 30, 2010 7:07:16 PM

I already bought 1600 Ripjaws. I believe my yet-to-be-born SB mobo will only run memory at 1333.

Should I sell or return the 1600 and get 1333 for $20 less, or just keep the 1600 because I will have "better binned" chips and/or in the future I might be able to actually run it at 1600?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 30, 2010 7:28:18 PM

No, keep the 1600 they can run 1066~1600 and everything in between easily; under-clocking. Example if your Ripjaws are 1600 are rated with CAS 9-9-9-24-2N then at 1333 the CAS 'might' be 8-8-8-24-2N. Most Sandy Bridge MOBO can run 2000+Mhz RAM.
m
l
December 30, 2010 7:51:12 PM

jaquith said:
I looked at (2) sets, my initial reaction 'feeling' is that they're the same IC's, but the chipset differences concerned me that perhaps they are NOT 100% the same IC's. But few people get LGA 775 RAM so it could be a simple omission by G.SKILL. I would prefer the Ripjaws primarily because the 'ridge' can cool the RAM better, on anything less than a 4X_GB high density and 1600 MHz+ speed it won't matter too much.

FYI in case anyone else has this question...here is the answer from the horse's mouth, so to speak....

"Yes, the guts (IC chips) are different, but overall specs are the same. They will perform very similar. The RipJaws has more information/reviews because the Sniper was just released. The lower heatspreader is great for people with large coolers, but most can clear the RJ anyway. Thank youGSKILL TECH***************"
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 30, 2010 8:02:15 PM

Well there was no G.SKILL omission and the Chipsets spoke!
m
l
December 30, 2010 8:15:22 PM

jaquith said:
Well there was no G.SKILL omission and the Chipsets spoke!

Yes now I hope that my Ripjaws will actually be supported on the P67/H67 chipsets!

I see on Gskill website they are coming out with "Ripjaws X" for SandyBridge......

m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 30, 2010 8:47:31 PM

^Then that would be 'good' a question for G.SKILL.

The G.SKILL that I listed above F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL work and are QVL in Gigabyte P67 MOBOs http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g...

BTW SB is 1155 (P67) not 1156 (P55).

What P67/SB/1155 MOBO are you looking to get?
m
l
December 30, 2010 9:33:00 PM

hogan773 said:
Yes.....hard to know. Those were the 2 I was comparing.

Only reason I liked the Snipers is just in case I have any issues fitting the Ripjaws underneath a CM Hyper 212+

I have seen other posts that seemed to say that people did successfully fit the RJ underneath....that they're not "too tall"

I had to move my Ripjaws over to the second pair of memory slots on my Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 because i couldn't get the fan on that side of my Cooler Master 212+. Not a big problem though, still runs amazing.
m
l
December 31, 2010 2:59:53 AM

Not super related but I was looking at the Gigabyte P67 series for the QVL and under bundled software happened to notice their packaging it with Norton. Most useless software bundle I've ever seen
m
l
December 31, 2010 4:38:15 AM

jaquith said:
^Then that would be 'good' a question for G.SKILL.

The G.SKILL that I listed above F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL work and are QVL in Gigabyte P67 MOBOs http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g...

BTW SB is 1155 (P67) not 1156 (P55).

What P67/SB/1155 MOBO are you looking to get?

I know re 1155. I actually may get an H67 variant so I dont have to buy a graphics card. I'm not a gamer. As I said in another post, I want to make sure I can actually OC the K-series multiplier on an H67 board, and also make sure that the integrated graphics doesn't "tax" the rest of the processor.

m
l
December 31, 2010 4:39:46 AM

axipher said:
I had to move my Ripjaws over to the second pair of memory slots on my Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 because i couldn't get the fan on that side of my Cooler Master 212+. Not a big problem though, still runs amazing.

I am holding the 212+ in my hand right now. I see that the fan can be moved up or down as much as one wants.....obviously you want the fan to be centered, but I think if it needed to move up a cm or two to fit, it wouldn't kill the cooling power.....
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 31, 2010 4:44:27 AM

Never get an onboard GPU unless you're 100% certain that you'll NEVER add a dedicated GPU. Otherwise I 100% guarantee: PCIe bandwidth loss >10%, lost physical RAM {H/W Reserved} even if you disable via BIOS. Plus a host of oddball behavior and problems when adding a Dedicated GPU. Also, you'll loose ~0.5GB via shared RAM with the GPU.

Physical RAM is way slower than the dedicated GDDR5 or faster RAM, and yes it does task the CPU. Don't do it, get a cheapo GPU with 1GB.
m
l
December 31, 2010 2:06:17 PM

I can't get a SandyBridge without an onboard GPU......that's the way they come.
m
l
December 31, 2010 4:32:39 PM

jaquith said:
Speaking of the SB MOBOs - incorrect http://www.asus.com/Search.aspx?SearchKey=p67

Holy Shnikes.....I am confused.

I ran a comparison on all the H67 mobos. Some appear to use graphics (b/c they have HDMI and DVI ports), some don't. I think all the P67 mobos don't, but I haven't run the comparison yet. 1 H67 has Firewire, others dont. All the uATX forms seem to have all the OC features, but the regular ATX that has the video outs doesnt say anything about OCing.

And that's just the Asus selection.....Gigabyte has its whole selection too.

I guess choice is nice, but I got to figure out which one to get by solving a multipart equation it seems.

If what Jaquith says is true for SandyBridge (that being that using onboard video does tax the rest of the system) then it may be easier to buy a cheapo video card and then just pick the best P67 mobo....and not worry about trying to shoehorn in the various options while also getting a DVI-out from the mobo itself.

I guess I'm not buying anything on Jan 5 or 9......need to get some better advice on which of the 20+ mobos to buy!!!!
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 1, 2011 12:29:04 PM

I would suggest that you wait until the selections are FULLY available, or about 1~2 months AFTER the initial release date. If the goal is gaming then EVGA and for everything else the ASUS would be my everyday choice.

When 'adding it all up' I too would run a comparison to the X58. I am not too sold on the 1155 because it's a baby step forward and at best equal to the X58, whereas the X68 offers NEW Technologies like PCIe 3.0 - doubling the MOBO available bandwidth.

...just my thoughts.
m
l
January 1, 2011 5:50:31 PM

jaquith said:
I would suggest that you wait until the selections are FULLY available, or about 1~2 months AFTER the initial release date. If the goal is gaming then EVGA and for everything else the ASUS would be my everyday choice.

When 'adding it all up' I too would run a comparison to the X58. I am not too sold on the 1155 because it's a baby step forward and at best equal to the X58, whereas the X68 offers NEW Technologies like PCIe 3.0 - doubling the MOBO available bandwidth.

...just my thoughts.

Thanks. I think between P67 and H67 it might be simpler to just spend $75 on a Radeon 5670-type card and not worry about utilizing the onboard graphics. It appears there might be too many dead ends or tradeoffs that might make me regret in the future having chosen the H67 path.

I can't wait too long though because then I'll get to the "its only 3 months until socket 2011, and 3 months isn't that long, and shouldn't I wait just to see what socket 2011 offers......." Reality (for me) is I don't want to spend thousands on a new setup. SB 2500 or 2600 will be leaps and bounds above my current Pentium D 820, and I'm not a gamer. I'd rather not spend $1000 on a 2011 mobo and chip when I can spend $300-400 for 1155.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 1, 2011 6:28:02 PM

Trust me 'I get' the need it now syndrome. And as I said I agree not to get a onboard GPU. {I never would unless it's a single purpose HTPC for my TV}.
m
l
January 3, 2011 1:25:15 AM

Hmm..so here's my questions.

1. It's a different IC chip for the sniper than the ripjaw. On the Asus QVL for the p8p67 pro, it has the ripjaw but not the sniper on its list. Is this an omission since the sniper is so new or is the sniper not compatible?

2. I got the Noctua NH-D14, a hunk of a cpu cooler. If I got the ripjaw, would it fit in the new 1155 mobo? I"m not sure how high the heatsinks go.

Thanks
m
l
January 3, 2011 1:48:10 AM

I havent opened my pkg but I measured and it looks like RJ are 40mm at tallest point (about 1.5 inches)
m
l
January 3, 2011 3:09:46 AM

I currently have the Hyper 212+ facing up and down on my 890FXA-UD5, and the RipJaw series fit right underneath the metal, and I even have the double fan in push/pull config.

I am upgrading to 2 4gb sticks, and hoping to get a second set soon after, and dump my current 2x2gb set(ripjaw).

The latency between 7, going to 9 with 1600, I don't think I will even notice, but the heat spreaders, I also don't think will make a big difference between the two.
Like, my system runs pretty cold(cm 692 adv.), and with the exhaust up top, air flows right through the memory, so I don't think the snipers will run hotter than the rip jaws!
So for 110$ I have had my eye on them, because they want 150$ for cas lat 8 of 1600, and 160$ for cas lat 7!
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 3, 2011 1:08:29 PM

Debeucci said:
1. It's a different IC chip for the sniper than the ripjaw. On the Asus QVL for the p8p67 pro, it has the ripjaw but not the sniper on its list. Is this an omission since the sniper is so new or is the sniper not compatible?
There are (3) Good methods to choose RAM: 1. QVL/Certified Listed (best but limited), 2. Tested per RAM Mfg (9/10 this is how I choose RAM), 3. Approved via Ticket by RAM Mfg (often new RAM isn't listed). Any of those 3 will render the correct RAM per MOBO.

Debeucci said:
2. I got the Noctua NH-D14, a hunk of a cpu cooler. If I got the ripjaw, would it fit in the new 1155 mobo? I"m not sure how high the heatsinks go.
The Noctua NH-D14 often is NOT a problem especially if the RAM DIMM slots have some distance from CPU slot. Currently the ONLY LGA 1155 listed are MSI. My Priorities of RAM selection are NOT based upon ANY CPU cooler {I have no problems grinding-off/moving Noctua NH-D14 fins/fans} I would choose a different CPU cooler - e.g. Corsair H70. Noctua NH-D14 Compatibility - http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&pr...

A CPU Cooler helps keep the CPU cooler, but it offers ZIP/ZERO/NO performance to the rig, RAM, CPU, GPU, MOBO DO!!! There are a 'crap load' of as good if not better CPU coolers.
m
l
January 3, 2011 1:40:22 PM

Well, I went ahead and sent g.skill an email asking about the sniper ram compatibility. We'll see what they say about that. It might be a moot point because according to noctua, the ripjaws are fine to fit with the nh-d14. I already bought the noctua btw.

Asus has their qvl out as well for their p8p67.

Jaquith, just curious, why don't you like the nh-d14? It's suppose to be one of the best air coolers and is rated very quiet. For me, it was between the Noctua and the primlatech, and the reviews on the noctua won out. I'd really not go through the hassle of liquid cooling.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 3, 2011 1:48:57 PM

^ It's not that I don't like Noctua NH-D14 or ANY CPU cooler. 'I' have my priorities right on components that 'actually' make my rig perform 'faster'.

If the Noctua NH-D14 won't interfere then I would be fine using it, but if I have to choose between 1~2C and 1~2% faster rig then DUH I go for the faster rig! Also, what good is it if my CPU is cool BUT by RAM is hot? Either being too hot will cause me PROBLEMS.

...think about this!
m
l
January 3, 2011 2:01:45 PM

Hmmm...so what would make the corsair h70 a better solution? I just looked it up, and according to a few reviews and newegg, it's more expensive than the noctua and it doesn't quite cool as well. Unless there's something I'm missing, I don't think it affects ram either.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 3, 2011 2:26:45 PM

The H70 actually allows the case to provide better airflow, and I use both the H50 and H70 with Scythe fans -- where the advantage takes place is the Stress Tests. Idle the H50/H70 is indeed warmer, and 9/10 people and people testing it fail to make (1) one critical BIOS change to run the CPU_FAN Header at 100% also another common error is the failure to pull cool air into the case verses pushing out which is 'backwards'.

I've seen tests myself and it's all about set-up and the fans used. Oddly no one shows the NB or RAM temps! If I tossed on (2) Delta Fans then there would be a huge difference. The stock fans on the Noctua are far superior to the Corsair so-so fans.

BTW - I use Koolance for my Gaming rigs, my H50's are for my 'Work' non-OC pseudo Workstations. The H50's are easy to clean, but the Noctua "Lawnmower" fins are a REAL PITA to clean!

STOCK per STOCK:
H70 = 75/71.3/34
NH-D14 = 77/73.5/39

m
l
January 3, 2011 3:07:41 PM

Ok, that makes sense. I don't think it'll matter as much with the ft02 that I'm using though. The 3 huge penetrator fans on the bottom blow air straight up past the ram through the noctua and out.

I didn' think about cleaning the noctuas....now that you mention it...that middle fan...hmm...could be a problem.
lol...ah well.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 3, 2011 3:33:17 PM

Tests an Benchmarks are meaningless unless you are indeed comparing Apples to Apples, and the 'tweaks' are ALL the same!

The H50's are 100% cleaned even in push/pull via 4 long screws within 5 minutes. Whereas, I've cleaned the equivalent to the Noctua which either require me to pull the whole fan unit out {+ new thermal paste} or screwing around with a vacuum, compressed air, and/or Q-Tips in 30 minutes!

Also similar unit BLOCK bottom to top airflow...

Again, it's your rig and all I'm trying to do is illuminate the FULL picture.

Good Luck! :) 
m
l
January 3, 2011 5:10:15 PM

With my 212+ push/pull w/ stock cm fans, I average 29-31 degrees idle right now in winter, and in a SLC summer it's 33-35. Even though the house is usually always set to 70 degrees all year long. but winter does make it colder.

But when running games my system and cpu, have never been above 53, my GPU will get up to 72ish in the summer, but overall the hyper 212+ is sufficent, but everyones setup will be different, like I have covered both sides of the CM 690 2, so all air coming from the bottom and front get sucked through the CPU push/pull and out the top(1x 140mm) and back(1x 90mm). This also works good for my memory, so the snipers seem to be the ideal choice, especially for there price!

But I didn't go with the Noctua for one price, and second the size was incredible as far as hitting the other side of the case. WHile the 212+ was only 30$ I am probably only losing 5 degrees compared to top dogs, like noctua.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 3, 2011 6:04:37 PM

^For the $ the CM 212+ is hard if not imposable to beat, and there's nothing wrong with them -- until your severely OC and then you need water.

It all depends on your needs. Like getting a GTX 580 to play solitaire.
m
l
January 3, 2011 9:07:49 PM

For real, the 212+ is perfect for most builds, its performance/price is one of the best.
But for anything else, like extreme overclocking, I wouldn't even waste my time with air and I wouldn't waste it on the H70.
But for the performance, water cooling extends your reach farther than any air or H70/H50 will. Although the price might be 3 or 4 times as much, you will get insane performance!

m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 3, 2011 9:43:47 PM

Look at my configurations. >4GHz ALWAYS --> Koolance fully blocked everything and plus a wacky $ tag.

I like the Corsairs ONLY because as I stated: easy to clean, zero obstructions, yeah easy to move {drop an lawnmower engine vs an H50/70; look for cracks on your MOBO afterwards}...that's about it.
m
l
!