Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wait is over (finally): GTX480 & GTX470 reviewed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2010 5:24:43 PM

There is an review at hexus (still waiting for tom's). It opens uber-slow, so just google gtx 480, and see if it will open:( 

I still haven't read it though

edit- The site is currently down for essential maintenance
:( 
Damn it!!! I opened it 5 five minutes ago ( barely ) and i was racing with time to open a thread here, i didn't read it, and by that time the site is......... AARGH

edit 2(lol): in the meantime:
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/03/26/amazon-puts-firs...

edit3: Got it!!!:D :D :D :D 
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=21651

gonna read it now:) 
a b Î Nvidia
March 26, 2010 5:34:03 PM

Always Always copy text for pre NDA reviews.

Mactronix
Score
March 26, 2010 5:39:14 PM

Umm... excited to read it.Thanx.

I'm gonna read it now!!
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 26, 2010 5:41:23 PM

shubham1401 said:
Umm... excited to read it.Thanx.

I'm gonna read it now!!

holy **** it looks like they're still doing maintainence.... uh... :sleep: 

Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.hexus.net.

EDIT: working again :) 
EDIT 2: it just opens the damn site and says: Sorry, but the URL you followed to get to this item is invalid.
hhh....:( :( 
Score
March 26, 2010 6:06:58 PM

reincus said:
The review goes up and down, but someone saved all of the benchmarks.

http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=7597425...

TNX very much!:D ;)

WOW in HAWX GTX480 fps is 110 and HD5970 is 116. Very close.....hmm
In FC2 GTX480 outperforms the HD5870..

LOad temp is 93 degrees!!!
Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 26, 2010 6:09:48 PM

Very interesting
Thanks

Mactronix
Score
March 26, 2010 6:09:58 PM

WOW, I made right decision getting 5850 !!!
Score
March 26, 2010 6:10:48 PM

Basically, it confirms the rumors we've been hearing. Slightly more performance in most cases, with a couple exceptions. It runs hot and is very power hungry... and it's priced higher then ATI.
Score
March 26, 2010 6:12:19 PM

It runs hotter and draws more power than the 5970 at load. :ouch: 
Score
March 26, 2010 6:13:53 PM

Temps and power consumption.....fail
Performance.. well sometimes equal sometimes better than 5870 (even close to 5970 in hawx)

Waiting for GTX470...
The 480 kinda dissapointed me dunno is it worth the 100$ over the 5870... don't mention you gotta have a "Fermi" compatible PSU....... and case with 3x200mm fans.......
Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 26, 2010 6:15:18 PM

and sometimes it loses to 5870... (if only ever so slightly :p ) quite a lot of variation anyways, drivers maybe?

but hey it uses less power than gtx295 and is faster
Score
March 26, 2010 6:18:04 PM

It's probably good enough to light off a price war, which is all I wanted. :) 

Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 26, 2010 6:21:42 PM

reincus said:
It's probably good enough to light off a price war, which is all I wanted. :) 

only if it priced close enough to atis cards.... and there are enough cards available... well, we'll see
Score
March 26, 2010 6:21:59 PM

Maybe drivers will improve the situation for 480, hey you remember 4850 in june/july 2008? Drivers fixed the fan control and temps lowered........

I guess we will have to WAIT........... again

Howerer no way there is going to be something like GTX480x2 or GTX495, just it ain't possible

Waiting for the GTX470:) 
Score
March 26, 2010 6:22:14 PM

Well, it looks like ATi is still stomping down nVidia in most cases... the only thing I see that the GTX 480 can do better is extreme tessellation, but when will you have tessellation on that scale in your average game?

Quote:
Howerer no way there is going to be something like GTX480x2 or GTX495, just it ain't possible

They could always make an external unit with its own power supply... kind of like something the size of a shoebox that you could put ontop of your pc... :D 
Score
March 26, 2010 6:23:15 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
Well, it looks like ATi is still stomping down nVidia in most cases... the only thing I see that the GTX 480 can do better is extreme tessellation, but when will you have tessellation on that scale in your average game?

In 1-1.5 years time maybe:) ;)
Score
March 26, 2010 6:24:55 PM

Nvidias wafers are harder to produce therefore they will loose price war XD, BTW i am extremely disappointed. ATI has a insane lead ATM, when 5870 is more compelling against GTX480 than the 4870 against GTX280.

With these results I am doubting that GTX470 will beat 5850.

Makes me happy for not waiting for this crap haha :D  POWER CONSUMPTION IS A COMPLETE DISASTER, DO NOT BUY THIS!!!
Score
March 26, 2010 6:24:57 PM

Ah, it's hard to tell... I'm just waiting for the 5870 prices to drop and for ATI to release yet another card... maybe a low power 5970...
Score
March 26, 2010 6:26:09 PM

Load power... eww. Oh well.
Score
a c 80 Î Nvidia
March 26, 2010 6:28:13 PM

You guys seem to have saw different charts than I. The 5870 did win in all the Crysis benches, but it seems to have been beat, and often by a lot in most other games. The 5970 did win almost every game benchmark.

I've always been curious as to why people have always said Crysis is an Nvidia favored game, when it seems it has favored ATi for a while now in all the benches I've seen.
Score
March 26, 2010 6:28:22 PM

Kari said:
only if it priced close enough to atis cards.... and there are enough cards available... well, we'll see

True enough. I just want to see ATi 5XXX prices get back to MSRP prices. I'd pay the $250 that 5850s should be selling for, but not at the current $300+ levels.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 26, 2010 6:33:08 PM

The link from Hexus.net in the first post doesn't work for me,(it says not found) am i the only one with this problem ?
Score
March 26, 2010 6:38:38 PM

Do u guys seriously think ATI will lower prices when ATI wins the war with performance/power consump/price with a 6 month old product.

This is ridiculous, Nvidias fail is the same as ATI back with its 2900XT.

Nvidia is seriously screwed if ATI gets 5970's drivers right and releases a single chip faster than 5870 with power consumption about the same. Perhaps a 5890 would be cool :D :D 
Score
March 26, 2010 6:44:11 PM

rescawen said:
Do u guys seriously think ATI will lower prices when ATI wins the war with performance/power consump/price with a 6 month old product.

This is ridiculous, Nvidias fail is the same as ATI back with its 2900XT.

Nvidia is seriously screwed if ATI gets 5970's drivers right and releases a single chip faster than 5870 with power consumption about the same. Perhaps a 5890 would be cool :D :D 

There are a lot of people who don't care about power consumption, and a lot people who are brand loyal. Plus there are those who HAVE to have 'the new hawtness'. ATI has 20% of the total graphics card market share (compared to Nvidia's 30%). They could use this oppurtunity to lower prices and snatch up more market share, or keep prices closer to nVidia and make more per card sold. It depends on the short and long term goals and stategies of the company.
Score
March 26, 2010 6:51:55 PM

unknown_13 said:
There is an review at hexus (still waiting for tom's). It opens uber-slow, so just google gtx 480, and see if it will open:( 

I still haven't read it though

edit- The site is currently down for essential maintenance
:( 
Damn it!!! I opened it 5 five minutes ago ( barely ) and i was racing with time to open a thread here, i didn't read it, and by that time the site is......... AARGH

edit 2(lol): in the meantime:
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/03/26/amazon-puts-firs...

edit3: Got it!!!:D :D :D :D 
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=21651

gonna read it now:) 

Quote:
NVIDIA GF100 GPU represents the first grounds-up design since the excellent G80 was released over three years ago. Plagued by delay after delay in which time the competition has released a top-to-bottom range of DX11 GPUs, NVIDIA needs to get its latest graphics architecture right.

Viewed as a design, the also-DX11-compliant GF100 (Fermi) is much more than a renderer of pretty pixels. At its highest level, the 3bn-transistor chip uses four generally self-contained mini-GPUs that combine to provide decent theoretical performance for a wide variety of applications and code.

Fermi indicates NVIDIA's GPU direction by paying particular focus on increased geometry and tessellation via numerous GPU-distributed engines, to GPGPU usage through significant on-die cache, along with pretty-looking pixels via efficient antialiasing performance. The design is well-balanced for the most part, providing robust features for both upcoming Tesla and incumbent GeForce lines.

NVIDIA's mindset regarding Fermi's all-new architecture has been one obvious cause of delays, but physically implementing a new thinking on a GPU whilst also being competitive against the AMD's arsenal of quality 5-series cards has been another stumbling block.

The GeForce brand needs to take the forward-looking Fermi design and bring it to market with economic and manufacturing realities fully taken into account. GeForce GTX 480 represents the desktop manifestation of the inevitable compromise between idealism and pragmatism.

The GeForce GTX 480 chip can't be manufactured in any real volume with the full 512 cores intact, meaning that it loses a stream-processing unit composed of 32 cores. Ramping up clocks on a 3bn-transistor GPU manufactured on a 40nm process is also difficult without running into fundamental thermal concerns, hence why GTX 480 isn't clocked especially high, and the card chews through watts with gay abandon.

Conjecturing somewhat, GeForce GTX 480 is probably 75 per cent of the high-end GPU that was imagined by NVIDIA early last year. Our numbers show that NVIDIA's finest single-GPU card is, on average, around 20 per cent faster than AMD's Radeon HD 5870 1,024MB at a 2,560x1,600 resolution. GeForce GTX 480 is due to cost some 40 per cent more, so whilst the trade-off between extra expense and performance isn't ideal, it's not shockingly bad, either.

How does it play out for the gamer right now? Radeon HD 5970 remains the world's fastest graphics card, GeForce GTX 480 becomes the world's fastest single-GPU card, and Radeon HD 5870 is still a good bet at sub-£300.

Bottom line: NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 480 could have easily been better, perhaps should have been considering the time of arrival, but we feel that, underscored and handicapped by a paradigm shift in GPU thinking, it retains enough features and visceral ooh la la to be worthy of a £400 price-tag, if not £450.

Here are the charts grabbed from other sites

http://img34.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=02mpruc.png

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4307...

http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showpost.php?p=7597425...

http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showthread.php?p=1336205486
Score
March 26, 2010 6:52:01 PM

reincus said:
There are a lot of people who don't care about power consumption, and a lot people who are brand loyal. Plus there are those who HAVE to have 'the new hawtness'. ATI has 20% of the total graphics card market share (compared to Nvidia's 30%). They could use this oppurtunity to lower prices and snatch up more market share, or keep prices closer to nVidia and make more per card sold. It depends on the short and long term goals and stategies of the company.

They might not care about power consumption, but this thing draws almost 300W on its own... People with anything like a 5770 might have to get a beefier PSU for that card... That's a lot more bucks for it...

Cheers!
Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 26, 2010 6:53:39 PM

Looks like Hexus took down the story. They probably got in trouble with the big "N" there on that one ^_^. I'm sure it will be back up latter, but glad the benches were saved there.

Anyway, it was a bit surprising. For the most part, the GTX 480 actually did better than I thought it would, but the fact that it lost to the 5870 in Crysis is pretty darn surprising. Still, it generally was slower than the 5970 and the soon to be released overclocked 5970s (5870 X2s if you prefer), will just highlight the fact that ATI still have the fastest card even if the GTX 480 is the fastest single GPU card.
Score
March 26, 2010 7:10:36 PM

I guess the load power could be under heavy tessellation. I'd be interested to see how it differs from the 5870 @ load vs the 480 @ load playing something like BC2. The benches show that the 480 jumps ahead in performance a good measure when comparing tessellation benches; maybe this is where the 140w overhead is coming from.
Score
March 26, 2010 7:15:37 PM

u do understand crysis is almost just about pure core speed
Score
March 26, 2010 7:15:55 PM

It seems to me that during the last 3 years ATI has been catching up more and more each year (performance-wise) to Nvidia, this is good for all of us, but, if ATI pulls ahead, it would be even better for our pockets...
Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 26, 2010 7:20:47 PM

In the next BIG DX11 game thats feature heavy in Tesselation (a main feature of dx11), a 5850 is going to be crying for mercy while the GTX 480 is 50fps !

edit: :)  LOL people. The gtx 480 is competitive. It beats its own last generation dual gpu card. 500 dollars, their are some that said that would never happen. And at that price point.
Score
March 26, 2010 7:39:39 PM

To be honest someone buying a gtx 480, definatley will have a big enough power supply. I am surprised in some of the benchmarks though where it almost came close to the 5970 and did 10%+ than the 5870, but then there were the games where it pretty much performed the same. I think that the original fermi with the 512sp will probably perform very close if not equal to the 5970. Anyways I'm probably going to pick up a gtx 470. The benchmarks show it beats the 5850 in most of the benchmarks (or performs equal) and it's only $50 more.
Score
March 26, 2010 8:11:35 PM

notty22 said:
In the next BIG DX11 game thats feature heavy in Tesselation (a main feature of dx11), a 5850 is going to be crying for mercy while the GTX 480 is 50fps !

http://www.abload.de/img/227qoz.png

edit: :)  LOL people. The gtx 480 is competitive. It beats its own last generation dual gpu card. 500 dollars, their are some that said that would never happen. And at that price point.

You shouldn't pick one benchmark of an arbitrary DX11 benchmarking program, it is not representative to the performance in actual games with heavy tessellation. That said, it is nice to see that the Fermi architecture does in fact have an advantage in tessellation, but that benchmark likely exaggerates it.

The GTX 480 is pretty impressive, but its not a great value at the quoted price points. I am very excited for the GTX 470, since it should be about 10-20% slower across the board, making it comparable to a 5870 for only $350!

Now here is the exciting part, this isn't even the full 512 SP part! It should be very competitive with the 5970 when released.

Now ATI will likely release something very similar to the GTX 480 for less and will likely take the crown back with an overclocked 5970, the latter not being a very big deal, the former meaning we should have a hell of a price war on our hands.

The 5870 will be forced to be <$350 and the 5850 will have to go <$300. All that while we have a nice GTX 470 for a few bucks more that should provide slightly higher performance, and the GTX 480 which will square off against a 5870 2GB or 5890 for some extreme performance. All in all, just going by this review which is not exactly law, the consumer has won and nVidia has become competitive again.
Score
a c 80 Î Nvidia
March 26, 2010 8:39:07 PM

notty22 said:

http://www.abload.de/img/227qoz.png

Ya, but at normal, it was behind. So it depends on how much tessellation the dev's put in a game. I these games have different levels of tessellation, so we can choose. Having run the benchmark, I can't hardly see a difference between medium and extreme tessellation.
Score
Anonymous
March 26, 2010 8:53:49 PM

I am more disapointed from what I already was. Let alone a 5870 factory OC will surpass it easly except in tesslation while using a lot less power, efficiency, higher transistor density ATi could confortably lower its prices, the 480 should be priced at 449$ from what it is right now. Whers the 250w tdp?? Drawing more power than a Dual-GPU 5970 and hotter ? Nearly had a heart attack lol So a 750W or a 850W will not cut it for a 480 SLI?
Score
March 26, 2010 9:12:15 PM

great charts.
Score
March 26, 2010 9:19:22 PM

Quote:
I am more disapointed from what I already was. Let alone a 5870 factory OC will surpass it easly except in tesslation while using a lot less power, efficiency, higher transistor density ATi could confortably lower its prices, the 480 should be priced at 449$ from what it is right now. Whers the 250w tdp?? Drawing more power than a Dual-GPU 5970 and hotter ? Nearly had a heart attack lol So a 750W or a 850W will not cut it for a 480 SLI?

We have no idea how the GTX 480 overclocks, it may do alright which would render the 5870 OC a moot point. I agree on the pricing, but I am content with the hope that the GTX 470 be priced at $350 like reported, since it should trade blows with a 5870. The power consumption thing is valid, but not that terrible for some and a right off for others.

All in all it is better than expected, and certainly not unmarketable like initial reports. Its competitive, but barely. The GTX 470 is shaping up to be a great deal.
Score
March 26, 2010 9:34:12 PM

AMW1011 said:
We have no idea how the GTX 480 overclocks, it may do alright which would render the 5870 OC a moot point. I agree on the pricing, but I am content with the hope that the GTX 470 be priced at $350 like reported, since it should trade blows with a 5870. The power consumption thing is valid, but not that terrible for some and a right off for others.

All in all it is better than expected, and certainly not unmarketable like initial reports. Its competitive, but barely. The GTX 470 is shaping up to be a great deal.

Actually, I'm thinking that nVidia pulled the "availability" date for MSRP purposes alone. If they launch right now, since they have such low number of units (this is kind of a blind shooting, though), they might be way over the price of the already expensive and way over MSRP 5xxx series.

Anyone with info on that one? 8(

Cheers!
Score
March 26, 2010 9:43:54 PM

Glad I bought my ASUS 5870 and can just add another one after the price drops a bit.
Score
March 26, 2010 10:14:52 PM

anandtech 's review is up, but I can't get their site to load right now.
Score
!