Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] New pc build, getting orange bios screen

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2010 4:44:43 PM

Hello,
just booted up my new pc and getting orange bios screen instead of blue. evga 9800 gtx+ on ga p55m ud2. I have not ventured any further because I had to leave for work. Rest of specs are:
460W PSU, Core i5 750, Corsair XMS3 4GB C9, WD Cav Blue 500GB, Lite On DVD, HEC mini tower case. Have had no luck finding similar issue anywhere. Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: bad card confirmed by evga tech support. returned 9800 gtx+ and replaced with 9500gt. works great on my hackintosh.
April 19, 2010 7:13:33 PM

Some folks get mad when I post this ... BUT ... it is truly your very best chance to get it solved much quicker (if you can "humble your mind" and heed this doc) ...

... We are certainly here to help and we certainly will ... promptly ... but this doc is actually more efficient (if you are methodical).

... We will be happy to do this "your way" ... "our way" will get you fixed quicker, 90%+ of the time ... Your call.

Munch on this . . .

PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about boot/no video problems!

"System won't boot" and "no video output" checklist

This checklist is a compilation of troubleshooting ideas from many forum members. It's very important to actually perform every step in the checklist if you want to effectively troubleshoot your problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

= Alvin =

m
l
April 19, 2010 9:40:06 PM

I think most I have done, but I do see a few I have not done, so will get to them as soon as I physically can.

However, my first observation is that BIOS is showing up and I can see it and make changes. It is just that the background is bright orange and this is on a monitor that works with my old P4.

Will get back after going through the checklist with a 'resolved' or 'need more help' Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2010 10:26:51 PM

I'm gonna guess a bad video cable, if you do not have a CRT ... If you DO have CRT ... Then a "bad gun" is possible.

What kind of video cable-adapter-mon ?
m
l
April 20, 2010 2:45:25 AM

Some BIOS's allow different colors, how does the OS look?
m
l
April 20, 2010 5:31:23 AM

Alvin Smith said:
I'm gonna guess a bad video cable, if you do not have a CRT ... If you DO have CRT ... Then a "bad gun" is possible.

What kind of video cable-adapter-mon ?

Check list completed, and everything checked out fine. Reached out to evga tech support and they suggested trying in another computer (should have thought of that). Had a newer AMD machine, stuck it in, checked it out, and did not work. Fairly sure it is the video card, but will see if I can find another video card to see if there still comes the orange screen.

I have a Dell 19 inch LCD with vga and dvi connectors. Was testing on DVI. Thanks for your help!

-EDIT: just wanted to follow up and close the loop. Alvin, much thanks for pointing me to the checklist. Witin an hour I got to know what waere not problematic. Just got a 9500 gt from newegg plugged it on and viola it is up and running! Evga confirmed some cards reported weird boot screen so rma in process. Hope this helps someone else from freaking out.
m
l
April 20, 2010 5:35:41 AM

marcellis22 said:
Some BIOS's allow different colors, how does the OS look?

Never got to installing OS. BIOS is orange but legible, but since I get a disk failure, I was gonna check boot sequence, but the boot sequence screen was not legible (probably because of white text on white background in the middle of orange screen). Tested the video card in another machine and determined it was inop. Should test another video card to see if I still get an orange screen, but that is if I find one laying around, which i do not.

Had I gotten to OS install, it was gonna be Snow Leopard and Win 7 64 dual boot. Thanks for your help!
m
l
!