Color problem when printed with i950 printer

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 6, 2004 3:35:50 PM

I tried to print some nice pictures on HP Premium Photo Paper Glossy papers
using Canon i950. Whenever I use this paper or any other photo glossy
papers, the printed pictures were saturated with "red" color. It seems that
excessive red ink comes out whenever I tried print media settings other
than "Plain Paper". On the other hand, when a plain paper was used to print
under Plain Paper setting, the picture looks beautiful. When I tried to
print the same pictures using Canon S520. No problem. It printed
correctly on Photo Glossy Papers. The problem is limited to i950 printer.
Could someone help me how to fix this color problem on k950. Satoshi
December 6, 2004 4:08:27 PM

Satoshi wrote:
> I tried to print some nice pictures on HP Premium Photo Paper Glossy
papers
> using Canon i950. Whenever I use this paper or any other photo
glossy
> papers, the printed pictures were saturated with "red" color. It
seems that
> excessive red ink comes out whenever I tried print media settings
other
> than "Plain Paper". On the other hand, when a plain paper was used
to print
> under Plain Paper setting, the picture looks beautiful. When I
tried to
> print the same pictures using Canon S520. No problem. It printed
> correctly on Photo Glossy Papers. The problem is limited to i950
printer.
> Could someone help me how to fix this color problem on k950.
Satoshi

I sell digital imaging products for a living and I highly recommend to
all my clients NOT to use HP paper products with anything but HP
printers.

I would get some Canon Photo Paper Pro for nice prints on your i950.
Before doing prints you may want to do a Print Head cleaning through
the Printer Driver on the Maintenace Tab.

Hope that helps,

Neil
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 12:20:44 AM

Satoshi wrote:
> I tried to print some nice pictures on HP Premium Photo Paper Glossy
> papers using Canon i950. Whenever I use this paper or any other
> photo glossy papers, the printed pictures were saturated with "red"
> color. It seems that excessive red ink comes out whenever I tried
> print media settings other than "Plain Paper". On the other hand,
> when a plain paper was used to print under Plain Paper setting, the
> picture looks beautiful. When I tried to print the same pictures
> using Canon S520. No problem. It printed correctly on Photo Glossy
> Papers. The problem is limited to i950 printer. Could someone help
> me how to fix this color problem on k950. Satoshi

I also have this printer and like to pass this along if it helps.

Make sure you use the Canon software (Canon Easy PhotoPrint ver 2.1.1) for
printing. It automatically adjusts your printer to the type of paper you're
using without changing the defaults for other software programs. I use
Canon Photo Paper Pro but I have had great results with other paper. For
the HP paper you're using select "Glossy Photo Paper" when selecting paper
type.

If you're printing from another software (i.e. MS-Word, Paint Shop Pro or
Photo Shop), you have to go into the printer settings to acheive the same
results.
HTH
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 1:54:40 AM

Gaderian wrote:
>> Satoshi wrote:
>>> I tried to print some nice pictures on HP Premium Photo Paper Glossy
>>> papers using Canon i950. Whenever I use this paper or any other
>>> photo glossy papers, the printed pictures were saturated with "red"
>>> color. It seems that excessive red ink comes out whenever I tried
>>> print media settings other than "Plain Paper". On the other hand,
>>> when a plain paper was used to print under Plain Paper setting, the
>>> picture looks beautiful. When I tried to print the same pictures
>>> using Canon S520. No problem. It printed correctly on Photo
>>> Glossy Papers. The problem is limited to i950 printer. Could
>>> someone help me how to fix this color problem on k950. Satoshi
>>
>> I also have this printer and like to pass this along if it helps.
>>
>> Make sure you use the Canon software (Canon Easy PhotoPrint ver
>> 2.1.1) for printing. It automatically adjusts your printer to the
>> type of paper you're using without changing the defaults for other
>> software programs. I use Canon Photo Paper Pro but I have had great
>> results with other paper. For the HP paper you're using select
>> "Glossy Photo Paper" when selecting paper type.
>>
>> If you're printing from another software (i.e. MS-Word, Paint Shop
>> Pro or Photo Shop), you have to go into the printer settings to
>> acheive the same results.
>> HTH

Here is an interesting discussion of paper technology as part of a review of
a Photosmart printer. I don't know if the paper type is directly related to
your problem.
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/HP%207960/...

Kevin
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 1:21:41 PM

I tried this morning with Canon Glossy Photo Paper. The same thing.
The print was saturated with red color.

Regards,

Satoshi

"kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message
> Gaderian wrote:
>>>
>>> I also have this printer and like to pass this along if it helps.
>>>
>>> Make sure you use the Canon software (Canon Easy PhotoPrint ver
>>> 2.1.1) for printing. It automatically adjusts your printer to the
>>> type of paper you're using without changing the defaults for other
>>> software programs. I use Canon Photo Paper Pro but I have had great
>>> results with other paper. For the HP paper you're using select
>>> "Glossy Photo Paper" when selecting paper type.
>>>
>>> If you're printing from another software (i.e. MS-Word, Paint Shop
>>> Pro or Photo Shop), you have to go into the printer settings to
>>> acheive the same results.
>>> HTH
>
> Here is an interesting discussion of paper technology as part of a review
> of
> a Photosmart printer. I don't know if the paper type is directly related
> your problem.
> http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/HP%207960/...
>
> Kevin

December 7, 2004 5:39:55 PM

In article <cp4p66$k9c$1@reader2.nmix.net>, machocraig@hotmail.com says...
> I tried this morning with Canon Glossy Photo Paper. The same thing.
> The print was saturated with red color.
>
> Regards,
>
> Satoshi
>

> "kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message

> > Here is an interesting discussion of paper technology as part of a review
> > of
> > a Photosmart printer. I don't know if the paper type is directly related
> > your problem.
> > http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/HP%207960/...
> >
> > Kevin

sounds like youve got a clogged nozzle. You need to run several DEEP
CLEANING cycles and renew your cartridges.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

In article <cp4p66$k9c$1@reader2.nmix.net>, machocraig@hotmail.com says...
> I tried this morning with Canon Glossy Photo Paper. The same thing.
> The print was saturated with red color.
>
> Regards,
>
> Satoshi
>

> "kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message

> > Here is an interesting discussion of paper technology as part of a review
> > of
> > a Photosmart printer. I don't know if the paper type is directly related
> > your problem.
> > http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/HP%207960/...
> >
> > Kevin

Also remember to be sure each cartridge is in the correct slot.. ( I did it
myself once).

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Upon reading posts, I did everything what I could do. Deep cleaning and
nozzle checking is fine.
6 ink cart are placed correctly. I used Canon Easy WebPrint to print from
web pages.
Something went definitely wrong. However, if I use Plain Paper mode, color
looks great.
Satoshi

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
> In article <cp4p66$k9c$1@reader2.nmix.net>, machocraig@hotmail.com says...
>> I tried this morning with Canon Glossy Photo Paper. The same thing.
>> The print was saturated with red color.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Satoshi
>>

>> "kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message

>> > Here is an interesting discussion of paper technology as part of a
>> > review
>> > of
>> > a Photosmart printer. I don't know if the paper type is directly
>> > related
>> > your problem.
>> > http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/HP%207960/...
>> >
>> > Kevin
>> >

> Also remember to be sure each cartridge is in the correct slot.. ( I did
> it
> myself once).
>

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 12:25:01 AM

Satoshi wrote:
> Upon reading posts, I did everything what I could do...

*SNIP*

Well, if you live in Canada go here:
http://www.canon.ca/english/index-customersupport.asp
where you can email Canon Support for a free answer.

If all else fails, here's their Customer Support
1-800-OK CANON (652-2666) in Canada.
All other countires have similar support for Canon products, but I have no
idea of they charge a fee or not.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 3:54:37 AM

Satoshi,

I have the same printer and have been using Epson glossy photo paper with no
problems. I select the glossy photo paper option
I did have trouble recently with the printer though, I ran a deep clean a
number of times before I found out the real problem.
Run the print head alignment to make sure that all 6 ink tanks are seated
and printing correctly, I found the other test less useful.
Check the cartridges and make sure the orange plastic tab that your are
supposed to remove is completely off. (up to the point where the label says
don't remove this). I think that this allows air into the ink tank so that
the ink can flow out onto the page, if the air passage is blocked, the ink
will not leave the tank quick enough and cause your pages to print with a
tint.

Mine were half on still and they allowed just enough air thru to print
smaller jobs, IE a test pattern, but when I printed larger pictures, one
of the colours came up short and the whole page had a blue ting.

My guess as to why it works fine on plain paper is that when you are
printing on plain paper your not using the photo tanks, but the standard
ones which are not having any trouble.

just a guess though

Dave

"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Upon reading posts, I did everything what I could do. Deep cleaning and
> nozzle checking is fine.
> 6 ink cart are placed correctly. I used Canon Easy WebPrint to print
> from web pages.
> Something went definitely wrong. However, if I use Plain Paper mode,
> color looks great.
> Satoshi
>

> "Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
>> In article <cp4p66$k9c$1@reader2.nmix.net>, machocraig@hotmail.com
>> says...
>>> I tried this morning with Canon Glossy Photo Paper. The same thing.
>>> The print was saturated with red color.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Satoshi
>>>

>>> "kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message

>> Also remember to be sure each cartridge is in the correct slot.. ( I did
>> it
>> myself once).
>>

>> --
>> Larry Lynch
>> Mystic, Ct.

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 1:36:30 AM

I may be too late on this theme to be helpful, but will offer my 2
cents in case it might be useful.

I've been using the Canon i950 for over one year now, and it's far and
away better than any other inkjet I've ever owned. (Several HP, and
an Epson - all of which had serious problems, I've thankfully tried to
forget most.)

My success came when I found a local source of Ilford Galerie Pro
Smooth Gloss paper, and most important - I set up the printer with the
exact settings from their sheet of recommended settings for each brand
and model printer. The ONLY time I ever deviate from those settings
is when I'm printing images that are heavily into certain portions of
the red spectrum. Like the more common azaleas in the S.E. states.
These shots do need some tweaking to avoid oversaturated reds, but
that tweaking is easy and should be noted for all future uses of
similar subjects. Other than this, I find the colors are
magnificently true and as vibrant as the subject itself contained.

Good luck,

Olin McDaniel

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:02:53 -0700, "Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Upon reading posts, I did everything what I could do. Deep cleaning and
>nozzle checking is fine.
>6 ink cart are placed correctly. I used Canon Easy WebPrint to print from
>web pages.
>Something went definitely wrong. However, if I use Plain Paper mode, color
>looks great.
>Satoshi

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 2:00:00 PM

Satoshi wrote:
> I tried to print some nice pictures on HP Premium Photo Paper Glossy
papers
> using Canon i950. Whenever I use this paper or any other photo
glossy
> papers, the printed pictures were saturated with "red" color. It
seems that
> excessive red ink comes out whenever I tried print media settings
other
> than "Plain Paper". On the other hand, when a plain paper was used
to print
> under Plain Paper setting, the picture looks beautiful. When I
tried to
> print the same pictures using Canon S520. No problem. It printed
> correctly on Photo Glossy Papers. The problem is limited to i950
printer.
> Could someone help me how to fix this color problem on k950.
Satoshi

I have the same exact problem. In the past I have printed photos on
the photo paper just fine. Two things changed before I printed:

1. I put in new photo color cartridges.
2. I upgraded to the latest driver (1.62a).

I tried it on two different computers (Win XP and Win 2k) and they both
had the problem. I went through all the deep cleaning, alignment,
nozzle check, etc. and it still prints blue. I called Canon but they
want $9 for phone support. I sent an email and am waiting on an
answer.

The only thing I can think is that there is a problem with a cartridge
or there is a driver problem.

Very frustrating.

Bruce
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 9:38:21 PM

Hi Bruce,

>2. I upgraded to the latest driver (1.62a).

I tried to recollect what happened to my printer. My printer is about a
year old.
When it was new, it was fine.
Something must be happened to the printer.
BTW, let me ask you from where did you download the 1.62a driver.

My feeling is that red color flows much more than other colors with photo
glossy papers.
Interestingly, no problem with plain paper setting.

I was too busy to spend my time on the printer. I think I should go manual
setting for color to slow down flow of magenta or photomagenta. That is
the only idea what my brain popped up.

Regards,

Satoshi

<googlegroups@supercheese.com> wrote in message

> Satoshi wrote:
>> I tried to print some nice pictures on HP Premium Photo Paper Glossy
> papers
>> using Canon i950. Whenever I use this paper or any other photo
> glossy
>> papers, the printed pictures were saturated with "red" color. It
> seems that
>> excessive red ink comes out whenever I tried print media settings
> other
>> than "Plain Paper". On the other hand, when a plain paper was used
> to print
>> under Plain Paper setting, the picture looks beautiful. When I
> tried to
>> print the same pictures using Canon S520. No problem. It printed
>> correctly on Photo Glossy Papers. The problem is limited to i950
> printer.
>> Could someone help me how to fix this color problem on k950.
> Satoshi
>
> I have the same exact problem. In the past I have printed photos on
> the photo paper just fine. Two things changed before I printed:
>
> 1. I put in new photo color cartridges.
> 2. I upgraded to the latest driver (1.62a).
>
> I tried it on two different computers (Win XP and Win 2k) and they both
> had the problem. I went through all the deep cleaning, alignment,
> nozzle check, etc. and it still prints blue. I called Canon but they
> want $9 for phone support. I sent an email and am waiting on an
> answer.
>
> The only thing I can think is that there is a problem with a cartridge
> or there is a driver problem.
>
> Very frustrating.
>
> Bruce

December 28, 2004 10:29:29 AM

You should be able to make a profile for the gloss paper and the colour
balance you want, in the Canon driver interface itself. I've had to make
some minor tweaks for another Canon printer, but nothing like what you've
mentioned.

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
PC-Video-Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
!