Sign in with
Your question

Is this safe to do?

Last response: in Memory
December 30, 2010 5:26:20 PM

Hi guys, today i received my new motherboard/pcu/ram and power supply (corsair tx-650), following my pc dying earlier this week. I was wondering if it is safe to plug in my new power supply into my old PC (the antec power supply was smelling of electrical burning - assumed it died, but could it have been my gpu/mobo having a short circuit?)

If it was one of these, surely the new PSU would be safe from dying? Any help is very much appreciated guys! :) 

More about : safe

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 30, 2010 5:40:50 PM

You should not run into any issues if you try the new PSU in the PC that died. The only chance of risking the new PSU is if it is defective.
a b ) Power supply
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 347 } Memory
December 30, 2010 5:46:16 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

Assuming you don't have a short or other damaged component(s) e.g. GPU or MOBO with 'popped' transistors/compactors/chokes then yes use/install the new PSU.

If it fails to boot then shut it down ASAP and check the components.
Related resources
December 30, 2010 5:47:30 PM

Alright then, i'll go ahead and plug it in now, hoping it boots so i can get some data off before formatting my HD! Thanks a lot mate :) 
December 30, 2010 5:50:52 PM

jaquith said:
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

Assuming you don't have a short or other damaged component(s) e.g. GPU or MOBO with 'popped' transistors/compactors/chokes then yes use/install the new PSU.

If it fails to boot then shut it down ASAP and check the components.

Thanks for the welcome!

This is actually what i was worried about, i mean my gpu is relatively new but it is made by some obscure manufacturer, i'd of thought it would be ok though! Can i just look on the board/cards and see if any of the parts are damaged, also if they are, isn't the PSU supposed to prevent itself from becoming damaged?

Thanks again!!! :D 
a b ) Power supply
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 347 } Memory
December 30, 2010 5:58:51 PM

Well the good news is that you have a Corsair PSU that will protect itself. Pull the GPU and look VERY carefully to see if the 'CAPS' are separated -- if they are then 9/10 the GPU is toast. I had 2 Antec PSU blow 2 GPUs within 30 days of each other.

Now 'I've been learned' to get a good PSU! BTW -I HATE Antec PSUs! I was penny wise and dollar foolish!

Also, powering-up 'my' bad GPU did no damage to the PSU, as soon as it failed I went out begrudgingly and bought a new GPU; many GPUs now have lifetime warranties...
December 30, 2010 7:05:18 PM

jaquith said:
Well the good news is that you have a Corsair PSU that will protect itself. Pull the GPU and look VERY carefully to see if the 'CAPS' are separated -- if they are then 9/10 the GPU is toast. I had 2 Antec PSU blow 2 GPUs within 30 days of each other.

Now 'I've been learned' to get a good PSU! BTW -I HATE Antec PSUs! I was penny wise and dollar foolish!

Also, powering-up 'my' bad GPU did no damage to the PSU, as soon as it failed I went out begrudgingly and bought a new GPU; many GPUs now have lifetime warranties...

I've just checked that the GPU/Mobo capacitors are intact and it looks like they all are, the psu still smells of burning! I didn't look too carefully as my gpu only has a few big ones and they all seemed ok! Do you think my psu has simply died? It is 4/5 years old now. I was recommended Antec back then, as they used to be the best afaik, but i know the company changed hands or something so they're not too good anymore! But yeah, hopefully this new PSU will not die on me, i've got my fingers crossed it doesn't as they're a lot more expensive here in the UK!

I just hope it was my PSU and not anything else which could cause damage to my new machine, then again, i'd rather the PSU go than it + some other things if i put a broken GPU into it!

Wish me luck anyways, thanks again buddy! :) 
a b ) Power supply
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 347 } Memory
December 30, 2010 7:20:35 PM

While I am NOT recommending Thermaltake - http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/ read #4 on the bottom. Too often people under size their PSUs and in doing so they will NOT last. I prefer to stay in the 'ideal' 50~60% load range and if I think I'll be adding a new or CF/SLI then I'll plan ahead in the 'over size'.

When you state "the psu still smells of burning!" - which one? The new or old, if it's the new PSU then you've got a problem -- sorry I'm a little confused and better safe to ask then sorry I didn't.

per above link:
"Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a PSU will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 25-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years."
December 30, 2010 7:35:25 PM

Hey, that's quite a handy website :D !
Anyway, I tried the new spec pc i'm getting on that calculator and it recommends 580W with 30% capacitor ageing, i'm guessing my Corsair tx-650 will be able to support that easily? The old PSU was still smelling (it broke on xmas morning!) Do you think my psu will be ok if i try it in my old machine, no burn marks on the gpu, the motherboard is a bit hard to check as it is black :( 

Thanks for the website link anyways, made me feel a bit better about this PSU, i was getting a bit worried that it wasn't going to be powerful enough!

As always, your help is appreciated!
a b ) Power supply
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 347 } Memory
December 30, 2010 7:57:19 PM

Welcome! Great XMAS Gift - not. Santa accidentally dropped some coal at the wrong house.

Yep, then you're in good shape with the NEW PSU!

Nope, don't use the old PSU it can easily do a lot of damage -- it might have a warranty, check your manual ; also check -> http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/index.php?page=warranty...
!