Esata enclosure supports 3 tb disk, size 3.5 inch

dynamation

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Hello,
I need to find a reliable external ESATA (and preferably USB 3.0 & 2.0) ENCLOSURE which will accept a 3 Tbyte 3.5inch SATA Disk inside. System would run under Windows 7 64 Bit, which can use the computer's UEFI (BIOS) to recognize disks larger than 2.2 Tbyte size, and format the disk as GPT partition. I have heard of manufacturers SIIG, Thermaltake, Startech and even Vantec amkes one such enclosure.
Good warranty period is imporrtant.

Solution
I researched this extensively and decided on the iTank i310-SB3 from Raidon/Stardom.

http://www.stardom.com.tw/itank_i310_spec.html

It has a sturdy metal body and both eSATA and USB 3.0. (Another version has FW as well). Mine works fine with a Hitachi 3TB drive (GPT partition). I do not have UEFI Bios, so you should check on that first (my hunch is that it should not matter).

If you have more than one enclosure (the company makes enclosures that accept 1, 2, 4 or 8 drives), it is easy to move the hard drives between them.

If you find anything better, let me know!

ratsa

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I researched this extensively and decided on the iTank i310-SB3 from Raidon/Stardom.

http://www.stardom.com.tw/itank_i310_spec.html

It has a sturdy metal body and both eSATA and USB 3.0. (Another version has FW as well). Mine works fine with a Hitachi 3TB drive (GPT partition). I do not have UEFI Bios, so you should check on that first (my hunch is that it should not matter).

If you have more than one enclosure (the company makes enclosures that accept 1, 2, 4 or 8 drives), it is easy to move the hard drives between them.

If you find anything better, let me know!

Solution

dynamation

Honorable
May 26, 2012

------------------------------------------------------

THANKS A LOT, Ratsa.
I agree with you, this iTank Model i310-SB3 with USB 3 and ESATA upto $Tbyte disk size, seems to be the correct enclosure to use.

I will check out vendors in Tornot Canada, where I live.
BTW, I assume Wiondows 7 64-bit will beable to "SEE" the entire 3 tbyte disk-drive, in oirder to format it as a BPT partition, even if my comouter uses a legacy BIOS, not UEFI.