How to make program installs/downloads go to HDD instead of SSD?

wingpc

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Hello all, I recently built my first computer and its working (after much trouble)! I have the Windows 7 OS installed on my SSD, but the space there is very limited. I want to make programs automatically download / install to my HDD which has more space. Could someone outline or send me to a site on how to do this?

I've been trying to do this method: http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7

But I get stuck at the System repair part as I don't see that option or know how to get to it. I'm very new at this. Thanks!

Solution

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hi, There is almost always an option during install - simply redirect the default path to your HDD. Some programs (not all) will always use a little space on your C drive also - normally, don't worry about this, though do monitor your C drive space regularly. Also, make sure your newly installed programs use the HDD as the default store for data (normally done via a something like the options menu within the program).
The download path can be changed via the use of the 'Save As' option just before you commit to a download (e.g. right-click then save target as). Alternatively, the download interface may offer you this choice.

The main thing is to pay attention to each step of a program install - they're all pretty much the same and you'll soon get the hang of it.
Well done on the new build! :)

wingpc

Honorable
May 25, 2012

Oh, but I already have windows 7 installed. Would there be a way that I could do it without having to reinstall windows?

I just found this tutorial on creating some junctions by moving where user profiles are located, would that do the trick and make it so that programs i download will automatically begin installing on the HDD?

http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/2009/05/18/how-to-move-your-windows-user-profile-to-another-drive/

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I see what you are saying - a kind of automatic way of defaulting every install to your HDD via moving the default user folders - a method I'm pretty sure most of us don't use, including me, thus I'm unsure if it will accomplish everything you want (it does seem relatively over-complicated, perhaps risky?, and they may only affect User data - not the actual program install path)

What I am sure of is the method I've described. Of course, things like Game Saves to the User folder in the default C drive will still be an issue. It is not uncommon to edit one of the game's/program's config files to redirect saves to another location - this is specific for each game/program and you'll need to use Google/game/program's forums for help.

dpmcbrde

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Don't move your USERS folder to a different drive. It's a lot of hassle and not worth it. Here's my method. I created a folder on my HDD and named it "Downloads." Then I created it a shortcut to it on my Desktop. Now, I always set the download path to go to that folder and make sure that I change the installation path from C: to D:.

wingpc

Honorable
May 25, 2012

Yeah it is, I decided just to go the easy route and just deal with programs that I can't change the directory of to just sit on the c drive. I appreciate both of yalls help!

Solution

arnhome

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

There are only 2 solutions;
- 1st. upgrade with larger SSD and migrate OS/ or reinstall on the new SSD
- 2nd. follow this expert's instructions;
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html

works on 7 two!!!!

arnhome

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

There are only 2 solutions;
- 1st. upgrade with larger SSD and migrate OS/ or reinstall on the new SSD
- 2nd. follow this expert's instructions;
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html

Users folder (variable) can be relocated, but this does not solve software installation issue therefore it needs sys files (located on your C drive and these cannot be moved). have fun!!!!!

CPU Fan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
What I did was create a "Program Files" folder on my secondary drive and install all non-windows programs to that location. Then in the Libraries, I redirect the documents and everything else to that drive as well. Went into Chrome settings and changed the downloads folder location. My OS SSD is tiny (64GB) and usually retains about 10gb of space. No thanks to iTunes and a few other things that like to store crap there and fill up that last bit of space. I have installed a few programs on my C drive that I want to run quickly. but almost everything goes to the secondary drive. Then I have an external 2 tb drive connected to my RT-N66U router which is mapped to "My Computer" and I keep all of my media there. Music, pics, movies, etc. I can access this drive from my network on any computer or while I'm away from home on the asus provided ftp server.

How do you disable recycle bin and the other things to prolong the life of the SSD? I don't defrag my OS drive, but I suppose disabling the recycle bin would help too.

slaterjoshua

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014

I know what your getting at but what was explaining being explained earlier is the files you download and files you install, make sure where your file location is for those programs. I did the same thing, installed windows 7 on my SSD and have my 500GB drive (laptop) as my extra. I have just enough space for my OS and important system files. Im looking for an automatic method myself, but I just have to be careful with my installs.

Edited 8/2/2014:
Depending on what your actually looking for, if you open up you computer, on the left you will see the quick links to the various libraries and such. Those can be changed to a default location, which will change your default download location, but you will still have to be carefull with the installation locations. This is how you do it, in general because im using windows 7;

1) Open you C:\ and go to the users folder and the user you are looking to change (all of them if you are setting it up like mine with nothing adding to the SSD)
2) Make sure you have a file location set on your HDD, i put it in a folder that reads users\{user name}\{folder im moving}. The reason for this is it makes the next step easy.
3) Go back to you C:\ and open the user you wanna start with. You will need to be logged into administrator to do all the folders or the profile you are trying to move. Right click on the first folder, Desktop, and go to properties.
4) On the top, you will see a Location Tab, click on it and change the location shown to the location on the HDD.

Administrator can move all the user folders. It is as simple as that, just do it to all the folders and you will be good! I will say again, installing programs automatically go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\..... so you will have to be careful.