Rathine

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Ok, I checked the "useful" article part 2 and unfortunately it is hundreds of pages long. With my attention span I was hoping to find a brief, but concise answer.

First, how can you tell if an SSD is about to go "bad" ? With a traditional HDD we all know to listen for clicking or grinding sounds... Are there any real indicators with SSD?

Secondly, will an SSD running WITHOUT trim be faster than a traditional drive regardless?

With SSDs you check by using software utilities that read S.M.A.R.T. values. CrystalDiskInfo is an example of one: http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Yes, SSDs are faster than HDDs regardless of whether or not TRIM is enabled.
SSDs use idle Garbage Collection in addition to TRIM to maintain drive performance.
Just "Log off" (not Shut down) overnight occasionally to allow GC to maintain drive performance.

rus2

Honorable
May 14, 2012

Hi Derrick,

What do you mean, log off (not shut down)? Are you referring to logging off the Internet?

Rathine

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
What's the typical life span of an SSD?

Also, does garbage collection occur automatically simply by logging off? That is, without configuring anything or installing any software? This would seem to eliminate the need for defraging?

rus2

Honorable
May 14, 2012

Now you really have me confused. I have Win 7. How can I log off windows without turning off my computer?? When I turn my computer on Win 7 loads. I'm either using Win 7 or my computer is off.

Every modern SSD has trim capability.
Trim frees up deleted space without the need to do a read/rewrite process.
In theory, this speeds things up when the ssd is getting full.

All SSD's will have firmware that reclaims nand blocks. They differ in how aggressive they work. Sometimes immediately, sometimes during periods of inactivity. There are tradeoffs with either approach.
No one approach seems to be the unquestioned best.

Wiith windows 7 you will get standard drivers that support trim. Just specify the sata mode as AHCI(not IDE or raid).

ANY ssd will be 50x faster than a hard drive in random i/o and 2-3x faster in sequential.

A SSD does have a limited number of read/rewrite cycles. But, not to worry.
In normal desktop operations, you will not run out of writes in ten years, long after the ssd becomes obsolete.
It takes server type activity to cause a problem.
To see how much capability remains, there are programs that can query the s.m.a.r.t. statistics and tell you.
For Intel SSD's you can download from Intel the SSD toolkit program.

Don't over analyze the SSD. Don't bother with tweaks etc.
Just buy the capacity you need and enjoy it.

Garbage Collection algorithms are part of a SSD's firmware and occur automatically when there's low (idle) operating system activity.

You don't ever need to defragment a SSD. There's no performance benefits and it just adds unnecessary writes to the SSD.

rus2

Honorable
May 14, 2012

Your link is when there are multiple users. I'm the only user so when I click on shutdown the computer turns off. I can't "log off" windows without turning my computer off.

I don't know how you set up your Windows install. Even with a single user you should still have an arrow next to your Shut Down button with an option to Log off.

rus2

Honorable
May 14, 2012

OK. I see what you mean. I do have that arrow and when I click on it I do have the option to log off. I'm a dork!!! LOL

If Trim is enabled do I still need to log off? How can I tell if I need to activate Garbage Collection??

No, not really. TRIM should be enough to maintain drive performance.

If you run a lot of drive benchmarks you should use GC to recover drive performance.
You should also use GC if you have drives in a RAID array since the TRIM command is not passed to drives that are in a RAID array.

rus2

Honorable
May 14, 2012

"If you run a lot of drive benchmarks" Are you referring to running CrystalDiskMark software to check my speeds?

Yes, at its default settings CrystalDiskMark writes 20GB of test data per run. If you've run 3 or more tests in a row you should Log off overnight to allow GC to recover drive performance.

fantastik250

Distinguished
There is a simple program for checking out the life span of your SSD called SSD Life. There are other programs that check the life of your SSD. Also, regarding your TRIM command, it helps maintain performance. I believe it turns on when your computer is idle.

Rathine

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Well funny thing is, I have a Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD and it really doesn't seem to run much faster than any of the previous head and platter drives I've owned in the past... and I have no idea why.

The model number is MKNSSDCR120GB and the item number is N82E16820226236 I don't think I can enable TRIM because I'm not running windows 7.

When I try to enable AHCI in my motherboard BIOS, I get some kind of error after post that prevents me from loading my OS. My motherboard is a variant of the AMD 790XT + G45 chipset So I just leave it in default SATA mode.

Any thoughts?

Rathine

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Wait, AHCI in and of itself makes a huge difference?

Or running TRIM, which requires AHCI makes a difference?

Rathine

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
So if it's running under the default mode, it probably won't be much faster than a head and platter drive?

Will AHCI work even on older operating systems like windows xp 64-bit edition?

Rathine

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
What are the chances that enabling AHCI will make things more likely to go "wrong" ? Many of the reviews on places like Newegg indicate the users experienced problems only after switching modes like this.

My operating systems are already installed, so I'd probably have to reformat to enable AHCI anyhow :(

Rathine

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
So with a clean install, AHCI should be just as stable as IDE?