Sign in with
Your question

What to do when mobo doesn't include crossfire bridge?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2010 7:22:09 PM

I'm starting to shop for parts for my next PC (intel P55 chipset board) and I want to use 2 5770 in crossfire config but have read some reader reviews on Newegg that said many mobos do NOT supply the crossfire bridge even though the mobo supports crossfire and SLI.

Where can one find these crossfire bridges or can you recommandation a mobo that comes with these bridges?

Thanks,

Kollector
March 26, 2010 7:30:52 PM

I got ASUS P7P55D-EVO and it came with a CrossFire connector,but if the one that you chose didn't come then the VGA's both have one
m
l
March 26, 2010 7:41:09 PM

Thanks for the "Lightning" reply Maziar. :) 

I didn't know the ATI cards all come with the bridges, this is very useful information.

FYI, thinking of buying 2x PowerColor 5770s from Newegg.

POWERCOLOR AX5770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

Anyone got one of these? Thanks.

m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2010 8:15:11 PM

I don't have a 5770 but its a good card and 2 of them perform excellent,another alternative would be 1 HD 5850 which although performs a little worse compared to 2 5770's but requires less power,its less noisier and also requires one PCI-E slot
m
l
March 27, 2010 2:12:04 AM

Alot of motherboards only include them if the ones that come with the cards arent going to be long enough. My last 2 asus boards came with the crossfire connectors but only because the spacing between the PCIE slots on the board made the ones that came with the cards too short.
m
l
March 27, 2010 3:01:06 AM

I have two XFX HD 5770 and am happy with their performance. Neither my motherboard or my video card came with a crossfire bridge. I sent a support ticket to XFX and they mailed out two the next day. Here's a link to the cards. ( if you get these cards, be aware that they only have one crossfire tab and are limited to dual crossfire only. No triple crossfire. They do have the larger cooler and a quieter fan in my opinion.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here's a link for the crossfire bridge. There are two, an HIS and a Sapphire, $10 and $13.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's about the same performance if you get 1- 5870, or 2-5770's. I went the 5770 route so I could run 3 monitors without a displayport input, and I saved about $90 overall.

m
l
April 13, 2010 9:19:02 PM

Kollector_01 said:
Thanks for the "Lightning" reply Maziar. :) 

I didn't know the ATI cards all come with the bridges, this is very useful information.

FYI, thinking of buying 2x PowerColor 5770s from Newegg.

POWERCOLOR AX5770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

Anyone got one of these? Thanks.

Unfortunately all ATI cards do not come with Crossfire connectors. I know this because I am staring at two XFX Radeon 5770s that I bought from Newegg neither of which has a crossfire connector. Unfortunately neither does my mobo and so it's another week of waiting for Newegg to ship the part. Yay.
m
l
April 13, 2010 9:29:39 PM

henrystrawn said:
I have two XFX HD 5770 and am happy with their performance. Neither my motherboard or my video card came with a crossfire bridge. I sent a support ticket to XFX and they mailed out two the next day.

I was just gonna say...

but that's awesome, good to know!
m
l
April 13, 2010 10:55:36 PM

batpot said:
I was just gonna say...

but that's awesome, good to know!

I have been real happy with my rig. I just transferred to a Antec Nine hundred two case. I threw together a short YT video with specifications. Here's a link if you want to take a gander.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EusoPORfQ

These were the first XFX cards I have ever bought. I have been very pleased with XFX customer support and warranty.
m
l
!